It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2004, 07:47 PM   #1

mitoR2cool HB User
Red face L5/S1 hardware removal

Hi,

I am new to this group. I had a spinal fusion 4 years ago at L5/S1. My back pain is better, but not gone. I feel as if I have a throbbing softball in my low back. My right leg is going numb and it is hard to lift it or walk sometimes.

I am scheduled to have my hardware out on 28Apr04. Has anyone had this done and if so, what is the recovery period like?

mitoR2cool

Old 04-17-2004, 07:19 PM   #2

Dwayne3 HB User
Re: L5/S1 hardware removal

mitoR2cool, After you have this done, please let the board know how you are doing. I have some old hardware that may also be comming out and a newer version may be installed along with 2 possible fusions. I'm interested in knowing how you fare! Good luck and may the GOD lead you into his marvellous light!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2004, 08:19 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

2cool:

Have you read about this in the periodical, The Burton Report? You may want to read up on it there. Interesting stuff.

Old 04-18-2004, 04:48 PM   #4
(male)

L5S1 HB User

Hi mitoR2cool

I had my right side L5/S1 hardware removed a year ago and the doctor is removing the left side hardware this Friday.

On my right side hardware removal, the surgery only lasted 45 minutes. As soon as I sent to my room after recovery I immediately got out of bed and went to the bathroom (no catherter ) Later in the afternoon, the pt came by and I was able to walk around the hospital without any assistance. The next day, the doctor released me and I was able to return to work after one week (desk job). The hardware removal is not as invassive the fusion because the doctor only goes as deep into the back to gain access to the hardware.

I hope the hardware removal will eliminate your back problems.

Take Care
2 Nerve Root Blocks (no effect)
L5/S1 Posterior Fusion with hardware (no BAK cages due to lack of disk space) - August 2002
Right side hardware removed due to loose screw and rod rubbing against facet joint - March 2003
Sciatica returned 8/03 - Tried Neurontin and Elavil - Eased sciatica but could not tolerate medicine.
11/03 MRI of cervical and thorasic spine

Closed Thread