It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2002, 09:39 AM   #1

pixi HB User
Post shoulderblade burning

I hope someone here can help me.For the past 6 weeks I have been having a terrible burning pain in my left shoulder blade.The area is painful to touch,it feels like a bad burn and is tingling.Does anyone know what it may be/thank you in advance for your help.

pixi

Old 10-31-2002, 10:10 AM   #2
Inactive

Husker HB User
Hi, Pixi

Welcome to the boards! Nice to meet you.

That burning could be a number of things. Is there a rash? It kind of sounds like shingles if there is a rash and it is EXTREMELY painful to the touch. Have you seen the doctor?

Could also be a rib out of place. Do you remember anything specific at onset of pain?

Just my thoughts. Someone else will probably come along that knows exactly what it is. If there is a rash and it's EXTREMEMLY painful like I said, I'd get to the doc. It could be shingles and that could be serious if not treated I think.

Hope this helps.

Husker ..............

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2002, 10:54 AM   #3

pixi HB User
Talking

Thanx husker....Thats exactly what I thought it was but no rash.I did go to the doc and it's not shingles.I am sceduled for an MRI but if that doedn't show the problem,I dont trust my doc to keep looking.She acts like she's never heard of this before.It feels kinda like nerve ending pain.I was just wondering if any one else has had anything like this.Thank you for your quick reply.

pixi

Old 10-31-2002, 01:13 PM   #4
Inactive

Lady^ HB User
Could be a disk in your neck pressing on a nerve.

Old 10-31-2002, 07:49 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

EmtShirl HB User
Wink

Pixi~

Hi and welcome to the board. Do you have any other pains, numbness, or tingling? Did you have some sort of injury?

Have you had any headaches or sore spots (to the touch) on your neck? Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands?

The reason I am asking is because I have the burning that you are talking about but mine is between the shoulder blades. I also have the other things I asked you about. I had a cervical MRI in June and just had an EMG the other day and both are showing problems in my neck with nerve roots being pinched. I also have bone spurs, stenosis and DDD. If you have some questions please ask away. I am here to help if I can.

Hi Husker~ How are you sweetie? I will post under the other thread we have started. I just wanted say HI.

Shirl [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

1980- Transaxillary resection of 1st rib and division of band (left side)
1982- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
1985- Transaxillary excision of cervical rib (right side)
1991- Laser stapedectomy (right side)
1992- Fractional D&C
1992- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
1996- Lumbar hemilaminectomy
1999- Left knee arthoscopic surgery
2001- Laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy
2002- L5-S1 Microdiscectomy
2002- L4-L5, L5-S1 Anterior inter-body lumbar fusion with cages and my own bone from left hip for bone graft
2002- Neck problems Surgery??????
2002 DEC 21- C4-5, C5-C6 Anterior Cervical Corpectomy with Fusion and Internal Fixation (Bone from the bone bank)

Old 10-31-2002, 08:07 PM   #6

pixi HB User
thanx to all for your responses.I do have tingling and a numb kind of feeling across my shoulder blade.The worst part is the burning pain.It even hurts for my clothes to touch that area.I did have a thoracic MRI this evening.My doc has made me feel like im nuts and I havent complained of anything in 5yrs or more.The MRI was w/o contrast.Will that make a difference?Thanks again.I hope you all have a wonderful night and hopefully not too much pain.God bless.

pixi

Old 11-01-2002, 05:53 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

EmtShirl HB User
Wink

Pixi~

Good Morning!

Yes, W/O contrast may make a difference. The die shows better detail. Why did they do it without? Jus t remember that MRI's don't always show what is really going on in the any way. What other tests have you had?

I have heard so many others who feel like their doctor's think they are nuts or that they don't hurt as much as they say they do. I am very lucky to have the Neurosurgeon I have. Spine problems are for the most part very unpredictable any way. It all has to do with what nerves are being pinched or irritated. I hope something shows up for you so that something can be done to help you.

Shirl [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

1980- Transaxillary resection of 1st rib and division of band (left side)
1982- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
1985- Transaxillary excision of cervical rib (right side)
1991- Laser stapedectomy (right side)
1992- Fractional D&C
1992- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
1996- Lumbar hemilaminectomy
1999- Left knee arthoscopic surgery
2001- Laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy
2002- L5-S1 Microdiscectomy
2002- L4-L5, L5-S1 Anterior inter-body lumbar fusion with cages and my own bone from left hip for bone graft
2002- Neck problems Surgery??????
2002 DEC 21- C4-5, C5-C6 Anterior Cervical Corpectomy with Fusion and Internal Fixation (Bone from the bone bank)

Old 11-01-2002, 01:41 PM   #8

pixi HB User
Hi all
Thanks for all the input.Im still waiting MRI results.I dont know how you all live with this type of pain every day.It really gnaws at your brain.lol Yes,if you have a good doc. keep him(or her) The HMO mess has created monsters.The docs dont get their kickbacks if they order expensive tests for a patient.Not all are actually like that but as a nurse myself,I see it all the time.The lidocain patches are wonderful for pain but she wont call them in till she knows what shes treating.UGH!Sorry to ramble.Take care and I hope you all have a wonderful evening.

pixi

Old 11-03-2003, 08:35 PM   #9

deeb HB User
[QUOTE=pixi]I hope someone here can help me.For the past 6 weeks I have been having a terrible burning pain in my left shoulder blade.The area is painful to touch,it feels like a bad burn and is tingling.Does anyone know what it may be/thank you in advance for your help.

pixi[/QUOTE]

I have the [U]exact same thing.[/U] I just got it two weeks ago. I was wondering what it was and haven't been to the doctor yet. I thought he would think I was crazy. It is burning and tingling all the time now. Did you do any kind of exercise that may have caused this. I take a body sculpting class that uses those rubber tubes and I think I might have used it wrong. Other than that, I sit at a computer all day.

Old 11-04-2003, 05:35 AM   #10

harryinny3 HB User
Almost bet its spine related

Ive had the burning in both blades since my injury in 97. Mine is caused by a thorasic crushed vertabre, and 2 herniated discs in my cervical spine. Ive had 4 surgeries and still the pain. But it has subsided since the cervical fuseion last january. The burning is probably nerve related. And the hurts to the touch is common. The MRI will tell. If not make sure to get a nerve conduction test. This will pin point it asap.

Good luck.

Harry

Old 11-04-2003, 08:46 PM   #11
(male)

hawks066 HB User
The contrast die is used to see the difference between normal tissue and scar tissue in an MRI. My first MRI, they didn't use contrast, but on the 2nd one, after the first surgery, the did use contrast.

Old 01-26-2005, 01:49 PM   #12
(female)

Dutchgirl HB User
Re: shoulderblade burning

Hello,

I'm not sure if I can still reply this post since it's old, but the symptoms that you describe and especially the sore spot in your neck is sooooooo similar. Could this sore spot be around the occipital nerve? What did they find out? How did they solve the numbness and burning in your arm?

Thanks,
Annette

Old 01-26-2005, 09:38 PM   #13

deeb HB User

Boy this is old! Actually I never really had the doctor follow up on my problem. Said I probably pinched a nerve or something. The burning/tingling just left one day and haven't had it since. I don't know about the original poster though.

Last edited by deeb; 01-26-2005 at 09:39 PM.

Old 01-26-2005, 11:17 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

[QUOTE=pixi]thanx to all for your responses.I do have tingling and a numb kind of feeling across my shoulder blade.The worst part is the burning pain.It even hurts for my clothes to touch that area.I did have a thoracic MRI this evening.My doc has made me feel like im nuts and I havent complained of anything in 5yrs or more.The MRI was w/o contrast.Will that make a difference?Thanks again.I hope you all have a wonderful night and hopefully not too much pain.God bless.

pixi[/QUOTE]

I have had the same thing for 3 months now, today they did all the tests & say it's coming from my neck, not from my back, where I have muscle inflamation. My neck doesn't hurt a bit, but the pain is in these areas. Shoulder blade, around spine in that area, shoulder & radiates down to the armpit on both sides & sometimes to the elbow or wrist. They say my neck is straight, probably from a past car accident being hit from behind. They say the neck should have a curve & mine doesn't.
I'm starting new PT for it now & living on anti-inflams & pain pills.

Old 01-27-2005, 01:10 AM   #15

humptydumpty HB User

Hi Pixi,
I have a burning pain in the middle of my back between the shoulder blades. The area is about the size of a soccer ball. I had a thoracic MRI done and it showed a herniated T8-9 and a large bone spur on T9-10. I also have multi level DDD. I take methadone for pain but it doesn't touch this. I take neurotin for this and it really helps. I am up to 1200 mgs a day. I had fusion surgery for a herniated cervical disc but my neurosurgeon said I am not a good canidate for the thoracic surgery. It's very risky and I had triple bypass heart sugery back in 2000. Sometimes they have to move the heart around to get to the spine. Doc said unless I became paralyzed, or had problems with my bladder or bowels that I or any other person should not have this surgery.
I hope this sheds some light and may you have a better day

Closed Thread