It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2002, 10:01 AM   #1

thisisgettingold HB User
Post Hip pain after spinal fusion surgery

Anyone here experiencing this?
I was injured onthe job last year. I was then terminated because of the injury. I walked around for 11 months with a huge ruptured disk at L5-S1 while I fought for treatment.
I finally had a laminectomy,diskectomy with spinal fusion on May7th of this year. The disk had calcified so it was kinda rough.
I had hardware removal surgery the 10th of OCT. Over the last 2 weeks I have been experiencing burning pain in my left hip joint, I also have frequent sharp shooting pains in that hip.
Has anyone experienced this?
I go to the Dr in the am for this.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2002, 11:57 AM   #2
(female)

pebble's HB User
Welcome T-I-Gettingold..
I also have had a lower Lumber Fusion, I would be interested in what your Doc say's as i have sharpe shooting, well more like stinging pains now in my Bottom and both legs right down to my feet..

Why did you have your Hardware removed???

Love pebbles xxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2002, 12:07 PM   #3

thisisgettingold HB User
Hi pebbles and thank you for the warm welcome
I had the hardware removed because my Dr advised it. I am thin and the hardware was very prominent. You could feel the 4 screws through my skin ...ICK!! lol, it was tender but not too much. He thought it was best since my fusion was solid.
I also still have the numbness down the right leg and along the edge of my right foot. The nerve was compressed for so long they are not sure if the feeling will return.
I will let you know what the Dr says tomorrow and I hope you find some relief soon.
((((((((hugs)))))))

Old 11-10-2002, 12:55 PM   #4
(female)

pebble's HB User
T-I-Gettingold..

You are welcome ..Please stay around you will meet lots of nice peeps here that will give you their personal experience, and also you may help others..

love to ya..

Love purple xxx

Old 11-11-2002, 11:28 AM   #5

thisisgettingold HB User
Hello pebbles...back from Dr. He thinks the pain is from inflammation from the harvest site. He thinks it should resolve on it's own in aound 6 months.
He also released me. Only thing is, I cannot lift more than 35-40 pounds and I cannot go back to the kind of nursing I have always done. He said absolutely NO hospital or nursing home work.
I have always been a very "hands on" nurse. Don't sit much I don't know what I will do now .

Old 02-09-2005, 10:50 AM   #6
(male)

TJB101 HB User
Re: Hip pain after spinal fusion surgery

Hello,

As a new member to this bulletin board I would like to share my post op complications and see if there is any one else with a similar situation that found relief after the removal of hardware.

I am almost five years post op from a two level fusion, L4&L5&S1. The first four years I was pain free, however I started experiencing severe pain by my right hip. Note: My donor site was not from the hip, it was from bone from my vertebra. I have been treated by an anesthesiologist with the following treatments: I am sure I am fracturing some medical terminology.
1. Cryo burn of the caluneal nerve on the elliact crest. (Top of Hip)
2. RF leasion the caluneal nerve on the elliact crest. (Top of Hip)
3. Multiple cortisone injections.
4. Zonegram. Medication to treat seizures that can help calm down a nerve. This did not work.

Although these treatments helped the pain never goes away completely and returns worse than before. I now take 20mg of hydrocodone just to take the edge off. I have been told by the pain management doctor that the hardware may be causing the nerve to flare up.

Although I do not want to go under the knife I am considering consulting with the neruo-surgeon to discuss the removal of my hardware. FYI: I also had a recent MRI that was not conclusive regarding identifying a condition.

Old 02-09-2005, 10:51 AM   #7
(male)

TJB101 HB User

[QUOTE=TJB101]Hello,

As a new member to this bulletin board I would like to share my post op complications and see if there is any one else with a similar situation that found relief after the removal of hardware.

I am almost five years post op from a two level fusion, L4&L5&S1. The first four years I was pain free, however I started experiencing severe pain by my right hip. Note: My donor site was not from the hip, it was from bone from my vertebra. I have been treated by an anesthesiologist with the following treatments: I am sure I am fracturing some medical terminology.
1. Cryo burn of the caluneal nerve on the elliact crest. (Top of Hip)
2. RF leasion the caluneal nerve on the elliact crest. (Top of Hip)
3. Multiple cortisone injections.
4. Zonegram. Medication to treat seizures that can help calm down a nerve. This did not work.

Although these treatments helped the pain never goes away completely and returns worse than before. I now take 20mg of hydrocodone just to take the edge off. I have been told by the pain management doctor that the hardware may be causing the nerve to flare up.

Although I do not want to go under the knife I am considering consulting with the neruo-surgeon to discuss the removal of my hardware. FYI: I also had a recent MRI that was not conclusive regarding identifying a condition.[/QUOTE]

Old 02-09-2005, 03:25 PM   #8
(male)

L5S1 HB User

Hi Thisisgettingold

One problem I developed due to fusion is inflammation in my SI joints. My PM has said this is a common problem with fusion patients because the fused vertabrae puts extra stress on the SI joints. Since my last fusion 8 weeks ago, I have not been able to sleep only a few minutes each hour due to the constant hip pain.

If your hip pain continues, you might discuss the possiblility your SI joints are the cause of your hip pain.

Take Care
2 Nerve Root Blocks (no effect)
L5/S1 Posterior Fusion with hardware (no BAK cages due to lack of disk space) - August 2002
Right side hardware removed due to loose screw and rod rubbing against facet joint - March 2003
Sciatica returned 8/03 - Tried Neurontin and Elavil - Eased sciatica but could not tolerate medicine.
11/03 MRI of cervical and thorasic spine

Old 02-09-2005, 09:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi Yall
wow sounds like me, but 2 months after my fusion I had hip and quad. pain, it got so bad that I had exploratory surgery to remove the hardware 1 month ago, after over 3 hours of lookin, he left it saying it was perfect and did a decompression of th l3 and l5, I had mild improvement but not much, now I am waiting for the trial of the SCS. All the SI tests were negative, that was not the same kind of pain. This is a burning searing nerve pain in the hip/but and leg. It came up after the fusion. They think it may be because the nerves were being impinged for so long that they have gone crazy. Although the back pain is better I have now this problem that sounds a bit common to some degree. I am 8 month post op and in misery. Hoping for relief
shelley

Old 02-10-2005, 09:32 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Just like Shelly, I have significant searing and burning pain in my RT hip. In Sept '04 I had L4, L5, S1 fusion (my hip bone was NOT used) My fusion has failed and I thought this was the origin of that pain also ...now I'm not so sure? The low back pain is so severe now that I consider the hip pain secondary ... but after seeing all the similar descriptions some have ~ I am quite curious what the deal is with my hip

Hugs,
Bionic Witch
Pseudoarthrosis
awaiting fusion redo

Closed Thread