It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2002, 10:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User
Post Sleeping causes Back/Hip Pain

I'm 45 yrs old women & I've been having problems for quite a long time waking up with terrible pain in my hips and my back thru out the night/morning. Sometimes the pain in my back is so bad in the morning I can't move or hardly breath. I've tried sleeping with a foam wedge it helps reduce the pain. Our bed is very comfortable but not as soft as I like so I even added 4 inches of foam rubber to my side of the bed softer, but it didn't help. I have slept in hotel beds and in our recliner without any problems. I've also slept on our couch sometimes without any pain other times waking in agony. I've talked to my doctor and she just writes it all off to the mild arthritis I have in my spine/neck. I can't hardly believe mild arthritis would hurt so much that it would cause movement and breathing to be so difficult and painful. Once I manage to get up and move around for a while the pain eases off. I don't like sleeping on my back which causes me to wake up a lot yet the only time I can sleep without pain 100% of the time is in our recliner. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about this conditon, I'm open to any or all idea's. Thanks

Old 11-17-2002, 05:25 AM   #2

Traweaver HB User
Hi,
Since the only semi-comfort you get is from your recliner, perhaps you could look into one of those adjustable beds. Then you would have many positions to try to get comfortable.
Continue trying to see your doctor. I have no idea if arthritis can produce such pain.
Hope this helped.
Tracey
Hemilectomy-Discectomy on 3/19~ Awoke Pain Free!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2002, 07:23 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Kali M HB User
Dear Kiehn,

Take a look a few messages down at "so sore and still cannot get a good nights sleep." We went into discussion about sleeping positions, etc. Perhaps something there will help.

Old 11-17-2002, 08:36 AM   #4
Veteran

Kamden HB User
This type of pain is known to be a symptom of arthritis. Waking up stiff and horribly sore, then as you move around during the day, the pain subsiding. Also, cold weather, especially damp cold will make it worse. I have had mine act up horribly when I went camping. Try looking arthritis up and finding out all you can on what helps the symptoms, and what aggravates them. I don't know what the weather is like where you live, but know this has a huge effect on arthritis. Good luck

Old 11-17-2002, 11:28 AM   #5

steeplechase3k HB User
I rarely get lower back or neck pain as a result of sleeping position. A few times a month I sleep wrong and my neck will be sore for a few days, but I don't remember having hip pain as a result of sleeping position.

What positon do you sleep in on the bed? Back? Side?

I'd assume the in the recliner you are on your back. If you are sleeping on your side on the bed, try sleeping on your back, if you don't normaly sleep that way it may be difficult to fall asleep but it might help atleast with the hip pain.

I used to allways sleep on my side (mostly left, occasionaly right) but then has knee surgery and for a few days had to sleep on my back, it was hard to get used to at first, but now I sleep that way regularly.

------------------
--Steeplechase3k--

Old 11-17-2002, 11:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

CINDERELLA HB User
I have heard that from sleeping in a fetal position at night can cause your psoas muscle to shorten, perhaps you should see a Chiropractor or Osteopath or Physio-therapy. I have had back pain for 7 years and have been to everyone and no one knows the cause of it. Good luck.

Old 11-17-2002, 12:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User
To Traweaver, thanks for your suggestion I have seriously considered an adjustable bed and may
do so yet. Thanks again

To Kali, Thanks for your response I will certainly
look into that message, it's amazing how much we
take for granted such as just getting a good nights sleep. Thanks again

To Kamden, Thanks for the info, I also have a painful
inflamatory foot problem called something like fasciatis that responses the same way in the morning. We live in a very dry climate and unfortunately these symtoms are year round. I think I will take your advise and get into info on arthrits who knows I might
find a solution to this problem. Thanks again

To Steepchase3k, I should have noted my sleeping positions in my post but didn't think about it until
I had already posted my message and you noticed my
mistake. Actually I have slept on my sides all my
life but with in the last year I wake up a dozen
times each night from pain, switching from one side
to the other. So I've been forced to sleep on my back
for months now. I think its great you were able to
adjust to sleeping on your back, wish I could say the same. Thanks for your reply, best wishes

Old 11-17-2002, 12:13 PM   #8

Lisa1969 HB User
One thing that works for me is if i take 800mg of ibuprophin right before i go to bed....try that if you can.

Old 11-17-2002, 12:24 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User
To Cinderella, what an interesting concept especially
knowing I have problems with my feet in the morning
as well. I will definately add that to my list of
reseach. I'm very sorry you haven't been able to find any help for your condition, but I can sincerely sympathize with you. I'm also considering seeing
a Holistic medical practitioner. They use a lot of
different techniques some of which you mentioned in
your response. Thanks for your advise and info and
best wishes to you as well

Old 11-17-2002, 01:29 PM   #10

njshiplett HB User
Kiehm. I have had L4/L5 lower back fusion. Before the back problems I was a stomach sleeper (most doctors will tell you this is the worst postion to sleep in) but did'nt matter, only position I could sleep in!!!. when back pain started was forced to sleep in different positions. I did invest in a adjustable bed and it has helped a lot. I can raise the upper body some and the lower body which takes the pressure of the lower back and hips. when I go away from home am miserable without my adjustable bed. The one I got was expensive but I think there are other models that are not so high. It is a tough decision, good luck!!

Closed Thread