It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2004, 01:34 AM   #1
Inactive

farmboy7 HB User
Lidocaine patch

Today was the first time I tried it. Stuck one in the center of my back by my t-9 injury and it seemed to help! Does this indicate at all where my pain is coming from? Muscle, Nerve, bone, etc.? I'm currently doing a taper off of methadone and it looks like they may help for the pain if not for the withdrawal. Plus the docs are looking at a possible fusion, after the "dreaded discogram" of course. Any hints for keeping the patch in place or other issues with it? Does it help in the long run or just temporary?

farmboy

Old 04-29-2004, 06:11 AM   #2

kvn60640 HB User
Re: Lidocaine patch

I've been using the lidocaine patches for about 2 weeks now. They seem to help with the nerve pain. Its a loval anesthetic which attacks the nerve endings. Are you also on neurontin Farmboy? I take the neurontin and use the lidocaine patches and the combination helps. I've been taking painkillers less often since I started these. They seem to stick really well except when I put them behind my knee which is one of the areas I get severe pain. They are very expensive so I cut them in half to make them last longer. They were like four hundred and change for 60 patches. Hope they work for ya.
Kevin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2004, 11:45 AM   #3
Inactive

farmboy7 HB User

Hey Kevin,
That's a lot of $$$$. Mine were $145 for 30 patches, my health plan saved $25,whoopie Wonder if the "drug war" has anything to do with the cost. Do they come in different strengths? Mine are 5%.
It is interesting that youy say they work on nerve pain. Still trying to figure out why my pain is getting worse. I have never had Neurontin. Currently taking methadone and oxycodone.
I use a half also but they slide around and peel off my back. We tape them on now. I can see how behind the knee would be a real problem.
Thanks

farmboy

Old 04-29-2004, 03:42 PM   #4

kvn60640 HB User

Wow, I wonder why the big difference in price. Mine are the same strength as yours. I only had to pay 50 for them and the insurance picked up the rest. Definately ask your doctor if you can try the neurontin. Some people feel it doesnt help and others do. Its worth a shot to get rid of at least some of the pain.

Old 04-29-2004, 08:54 PM   #5
(female)

shaukc HB User

Hello ! I have been on these patches for a few monthes now - they help me but sometimes it gets to where they feel like they hurting me more by just being against my back - mine were $288 for 60 - my copay was $ 40 . It is strange that the price is different .

Old 04-30-2004, 02:01 AM   #6

kvn60640 HB User
Thumbs down Re: Lidocaine patch

288 huh? Well it sounds like Walgreens is ripping off my insurance company. I'm going to call them and let them know. Thats a bunch of B.S.. I wonder if I would have paid less of a co-pay too if they were 288 instead of 4something.
Anywho, they seem to help so I'll keep on using them but when I get a refill Im going to do some inquiring about the price.
Kevin

Old 04-30-2004, 08:41 PM   #7

NGL HB User

[QUOTE=farmboy7] Currently taking methadone and oxycodone. [COLOR=Navy]<<Can I ask why the methadone and oxycodoe together?>>[/COLOR]I use a half also but they slide around and peel off my back. We tape them on now. I can see how behind the knee would be a real problem. [COLOR=Navy]<<Placing tape over the patch should not create a problem. Could also use a strip gauze to wrap around them.>>[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Navy]<<Neurontin is a great med - for some people. Some get too many side effects from it, which may or may not disappear after taking it for a while. Its worth a shot!>>[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Navy]Good luck and keep us updated.
Cindy [/COLOR]

Last edited by NGL; 04-30-2004 at 08:42 PM.

Old 04-30-2004, 10:28 PM   #8
Mart7

[QUOTE=shaukc]Hello ! I have been on these patches for a few monthes now - they help me but sometimes it gets to where they feel like they hurting me more by just being against my back - mine were $288 for 60 - my copay was $ 40 . It is strange that the price is different .[/QUOTE]

I have found the Lidocaine patches to be fairly effective. While of course they do nothing for my nerve related pain issues. They certainly help the "local pain" in my lower back. My copay has been $40.00 (I'm not sure what the market price is, my pharmacy does provide the information; but I neglected to check the price when I filled my prescription.) I will have to check when I refill them again. I have trouble with narcotic medications; so the Lidocaine patches have been a good option for me. Not a cure-all, but they definitely help (also helps the pain that radiates to my left hip.)

-MJ

Old 04-30-2004, 11:03 PM   #9
Inactive

farmboy7 HB User

Hi Nightengale,
I have been taking methadone for about a year and oxycodone for break-thru pain. Sounds like I should be asking my docs about neurontin.

Looks like I'm getting ripped off on the patches. My insurer is paying the "co-pay" and I pay the rest! Isn't that backwards? Usually I pay either $5 or $10 for a scrip. They seem to work too and I wouldn't think they would be in "experimental " medicine category.

Does anyone kmow if the patches have a residual effect?. Long term effect on the pain? Or do you just end up needing more like opiates and your pain will be worse when you don't have a patch on?

farmboy

Old 05-01-2004, 09:11 PM   #10

NGL HB User

[QUOTE=farmboy7]Hi Nightengale,
I have been taking methadone for about a year and oxycodone for break-thru pain. Sounds like I should be asking my docs about neurontin. [COLOR=Navy]<<I'm sorry, I'm still confued. They put you on methadone for pain control?? Are they freaking nuts?? Or maybe I'm getting too personal about while youure using it>>[/COLOR]Looks like I'm getting ripped off on the patches. My insurer is paying the "co-pay" and I pay the rest! Isn't that backwards? Usually I pay either $5 or $10 for a scrip. They seem to work too and I wouldn't think they would be in "experimental " medicine category. [COLOR=Navy]<<Who is your insurer? Work comp? I'd think, either way, you would usually pay the lower of the two prices, not the highest. Check that out with your insurer. No, they are not an investigational medication.>>[/COLOR]Does anyone kmow if the patches have a residual effect?. Long term effect on the pain? Or do you just end up needing more like opiates and your pain will be worse when you don't have a patch on? <<And no, there shouldnt be any long-term side effects, other than the usual one of your body becoming used to it, and it becoming less effective.>>
farmboy[/QUOTE]

Old 05-01-2004, 10:13 PM   #11
Inactive

farmboy7 HB User

Hey,
To tell you the truth I am a little confused on why I ended up on methadone.
For the first 7 years since I wrecked my back I took Tylenol 3 fairly steadily but small amounts. Then as the pain got worse (or my resistance to the opiates) I went to hydrocodone, then oxycodone and then the methadone.
My pain was really bad and it kept me working for a while longer but finally had to quit. I know they do use methadone for chronic pain but I think if I had done more research on it I may have said no. I think every doctor should explain that it is very tough to withdraw from, my doc seems to think it's the same as any of the other opiates. That's not exactly what I have been hearing now though and my cold turkey withdrawal (doctor advised,with the help of additional oxy) was a disaster by the 4th day. The worst thing is for the first time in my life I am taking these opiates not for the pain but to avoid withdrawals.

farmboy

Old 05-02-2004, 05:43 AM   #12
(female)

Nanner1222 HB User

I have a few questions regarding the Lidocaine patch, does it help with the pain of sciatica? And, how do you use it? Do you place the patch on the actual pain site? In my case the calf? This is the first time I have heard of the patch, and am wondering why my doctor hasn't recommended it, I have sciatica and at times the pain is unbearable, I have taken vicoden with no result. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Old 05-02-2004, 07:47 AM   #13

kvn60640 HB User

Hi Nanner. The lidocaine is a local anesthtic and you place the patches on the most painful sites. You can use up to three full patches at one time. I cut them in half and place them on the most painful areas. You wear them for 12 hours and then 12 hours off. Yes they do seem to help with the sciatica pain. From what I understand it attacks the nerve endings. In addition to the patch I take neurontin. Neurontin is actually manufactured for epileptic seizures but doctors are prescribing it for nerve pain more than for seizures. It also is prescribed as an antidepressant. Basically its the latest wonder drug. Just think Nanners, this one pill can help with the awful pain associated with nerve compression, it keeps you from getting depressed and also prevents seizures and headaches. Wow, who wouldnt want this stuff? Anyway, ask your doc for the lidocaine patches and if you arent already on neurontin ask for that too. You mentioned vicodin doesnt touch the pain you have. Its amazing how many doctors under treat pain. Let your doc know that they dont help at all and also mention that they make you nauseous (even if they dont) Let him know that you have talked to many back pain sufferers and that they all swear by oxycontins or morphine sulfate contin. These are strong meds but I'll tell ya, they are the only thing that touches this excruciating pain. Good luck to ya and keep me posted please.
Kevin.

Old 05-02-2004, 05:54 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][B][CENTER]Hello Everyone [/CENTER]
[INDENT]I have been using the Lidoderm Patches for 6 months. They help my neck, shoulder, arm, leg & burning heel pain. Basically they help everything except my back pain. I know get a prescription for 90 patches per month, and the cost to my insurance company is $392 as I have no copay. About 2 months ago my insurance sent me a letter that they were no longer going to cover these patches but my pain management doctor called them and got them approved. When I had first started using these patches I had found out that they were first prescribed for patients with Shingles, which is a very painful condition. I had read about another member that was having problems with her insurance company because they would not cover these patches for her. But I think more doctor's are starting to prescribe these patches for pain and I believe they do help many people. Unfortunately, they are very expensive but I am surprised to see how the price varies. But I just wanted to give you all a quick tip on the patches. Sometimes I have forgotten to reseal the bag after taken a patch or two out of it. If you leave the bag open for an extended amount of time the patches will dry up and will not stick as well. Believe me when I say I have learned to seal the bag immediately. Those of you with small children would keep them in the zipper lock bag, but I don't have small children and I keep on bag out at a time. I wish you all the best.[/INDENT]
[CENTER] Jeanne [/CENTER] [/B] [/COLOR]

Old 05-04-2004, 11:38 AM   #15

kvn60640 HB User

Good tip Jeanne on keeping them sealed. I think everyone on this board would be wise to try these patches out. I'm sure most people on here would rather not have to take narcotics if given the choice. I had basically stopped taking any narcotics since starting on these and neurontin together. Unfortunatly I am one week post-op from my second surgery in three months so Im having to take some narcotics again but as soon as the pain from the incision goes away Ill stop using them and will rely completely on the patches and neurontin. In fact Im starting to question whether I will even use the neurontin anymore and will just use these patches as needed. Please ask your doctors about these lidoderm patches guys as they sure do help with pain without getting you doped up.
Kevin

Closed Thread