It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2004, 01:51 PM   #1
(female)

Amy R. HB User
sciatica in buttock...sciatica hurt to touch?

Hi again - Really 2 questions here:

1) I'm assuming my butt pain is referred - but, at times I get a horrible butt nerve pain that hurts to touch from the outside. It is very similar to the sciatica pain in my leg, but is in the butt. Is this a form of sciatica? Or something completely different??

2) Does sciatica always hurt to touch? When I get the horrible burning in the back of my right leg or butt, not only does it hurt just 'being,' but it hurts if I touch the area from the outside with my finger! My butt feels like it was kicked by someone for hours, all bruised...and if I touch it w/ my finger, it feels like I'm pressing on a horrible bruise! Same w/ the leg! Does it always hurt to touch for everyone??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 07:20 PM   #2
(female)

Texasgal HB User
Re: sciatica in buttock...sciatica hurt to touch?

Hi Amy. I've had sciatica problems for a few years...in varying degrees. The pain I get begins in the left side of my butt..and travels down my left leg to my foot. In my heel it feels like I stepped on a stone and it's bruised. In the butt area..it aches and burns. The pain in my leg is more like a SEVERE burn. The skin is painful to touch and I can't even stand to wear pants during that time. It's difficult to sit because that makes it worse as well. Sciatica is caused by something putting pressure on your sciatice nerve. (the largest nerve in the body) In my case, I've had herniated disks, bone spurs etc that causes my pain. I had surgery in Aug (last year) to remove the bone spurs etc (decompression laminectomy). It seemed to solve the problem..until the last month or so. I've continued to have back pain..but the sciatica pain has also returned. There's so many variables that can cause the sciatica..so how it's treated will depend on what's causing it. I feel for you! It's really not something I'd wish on my enemies. Sometimes...laying on the floor on my back..and resting my legs on a chair or couch (knees bent..as if you were sitting in a chair..but are on the floor) helps. This puts your back in a "neutral " position and can take pressure off the nerve. I've also found that tightening the muscles in my butt help the pain...though only as long as I hold that position Guess it will help tighten the muscles if nothing else. Talk to your doctor about it and see if they can prescribe some physical therapy for you..preferrably water therapy. (exercises in a pool) I've been doing that for about 6 weeks. It won't cure it..but it helps the muscles and ligaments that support that area. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2004, 12:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User
Re: sciatica in buttock...sciatica hurt to touch?

Yes, it hurts cause the nerve running thru your buttocks is raw! Have you been icing it? I find that icing does a lot to relieve the pain & the nerve. Also, you need to stretch out that nerve. That's what they told me in PT. I do exercises as hard as it sounds when you are in pain, that I learned in PT. It really helps.

Many people think heat will help, but think about it, the nerve is inflamed, it needs ice, not heat. Heat will feel good while it's on there, but will not help the inflamation.

Last edited by lori j; 04-29-2004 at 12:24 AM.

Closed Thread