It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2003, 07:45 PM   #1

mkangas HB User
Red face Stinging Burning Buttocks- Post Fusion

Well, I guess I still am having problems I don't understand, or maybe it's my impatience. It seems I have SO much stinging, burning pain in both butt cheeks that is totally localized. I mentioned it to my surgeon last Wed. and he says it is muscle, but WHAT THE HE_L is it??? With every step I take I can feel it and if I sit much at all it increases. Do you think I should call the doc about it? Maybe I will wait til Wed. and see if any improvement.

I really thought I was turning a corner on Friday and thought I felt improvement when I was up and around the house. Then I wrapped a few lightweight eBay packages on Sat. a.m. (taping the packages with a tape dispenser and all that type of stuff). That put me down all weekend in pain and back on the Perc's.

He also told me to do knee to chest pulls and that increases the pain in that exact area of my buttocks. I did them really hard Sat. a.m., too, so I can't pinpoint what set me back.

Is this all normal guys and gals?? For a fusion, I mean? It will be 4 weeks Tuesday.

One last thing to be crabby about tonight........ sometimes I wake up in the night and one of my hands are completely numb. I know it's coming from my cervical and probably the way I am trying to hold my lower spine while I sleep, etc. Is this common, too? Ya know, it's like you try to get everything lined up perfectly before you go to sleep so you won't hurt anything. It's not like you can just flop around in the bed like you used to be able to do.

Anyways......guess that's all the bit_hing I have to do tonight. Just wish that buttock thing would go away. Maybe the muscles he cut are attached way out there and they are being pulled as they heal at my spinal area. Heck, I just don't know, but it HURTS. I want my life back....I want to drive.....I want to sit.....I want to drink BEER and be able to go to the bathroom without worrying about getting off the damn bed so much. Too much time in bed, ya think? But then, when I am up the pain the butt increases.

Alright....enuf.....let me hear what ya'll post fusey's have to say about buttock pain.. Thanks a million... Hope everyone is hangin' in there.

Luv,
Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2003, 08:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

successtory HB User
Hi there,

I'm not a fusey...but I do believe it is your piriformis muscle having spaz attacks from your operation. It runs horizontal across the top part of your bum. I am shocked your doc told you to do knee bends like that -- OUCH! What about a physical therapist? Seen one yet? I would think water therapy would be good for you...but again, a PT should make that call. I hope this helps. Good luck to you.

------------------
successtory
Oct 2000: Repetitive Stress Injury-Inverted Hernia
Feb 2001: MRI. Shows only slight bulge at L4-L5
Dec 2001: Discogram/CT scan shows Inverted Hernia at L5-S1. L4-L5 & L5-S1 ruptured in all 4 quadrants. Unable to walk.
Feb 2002: IDET, Nucleoplasty, Intra-Discal Injections
Sept 2002: Rated in the top 10% for successful patients. Retraining for new career.

Old 01-12-2003, 08:09 PM   #3

mkangas HB User
success... he didn't say anything about P.T. or walking (like outside, etc.) which I you usually always hear about. I might do a seach on Yahoo for a muscle diagram and see if I can pinpoint where the pain is coming from.

Thank you for responding..

Mary

Old 01-12-2003, 09:03 PM   #4
Inactive

BAXTER HB User
Hi Mary & Successtory,

I'm sad to hear that you are also having problems, I was so hoping that you were going to have a complication free recovery.

The answer I keep getting from my doc, is to be patient with the nerve problems, the nerves are just ****** off, and "hopefully" it's just temporary.
It may takes weeks or months before I see improvement.
I just keep my fingers crossed for now.

When I sit more than 15 minutes or so, both of my legs and feet still get numb and tingly, if that keeps up, I won't be able to return to work, and that really pisses me off.

Before I got the reclining chair lift, when I tried to sleep on my right side, my entire right side, (hand to feet) would go numb, including my hand, so I can fully relate to what you describe.
If I am watching T.V. while laying on my right side, and leaning my head on my right hand (you know, to prop up my head), my right hand will still go numb.

The numbness really has me worried, I have concluded that there is nothing I can do now, other than to say "time will tell".
I know that sucks, but I don't even know if they would do any testing on either of us this soon in our recovery.

The good news, is that just in the last day or two, my butt cheeks have felt much better (boy, that felt weird to type) [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif[/img]
I hope I don't sound like a perv here

At first, I think I told you it felt like I had my A$$ kicked over and over by 100 people, I'm not so sore in that area now, where as before, I felt totally bruised, and it hurt to just touch my butt cheek, especially sitting.
The doc said that would improve, and he was correct.
I bet you will be better in that area in another week or so.

I can tell you that in this past week, I have been much better, I think you will have more strength each day.

I never thought I would feel better, but since I've been getting more sleep, things have really improved for me.

I hope this helps you, and I really think you will be O.K. as well

So, how are you doing on the smoking ?

I hope you can get a good nights rest, and will find more relief in the morning. [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/tired.gif[/img]

Be Well,
Baxter [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love2.gif[/img]

------------------
Two level laminectomy fusion L5-S1 & L2-3 done on 12/6/02.
Fifteen inch scar from the very top of butt crack (sorry), to the bra line.
BAK cages, rods & screws.(Titanium)
My pelvic bone was used for grafting.
Praying that the other two discs in between, won't have to be fused later, as I was told it was a possibility, due to the other two discs in between, not being in that great of shape.
Doc didn't want to fuse four levels, unless it is really necessary.
I would hate to repeat the surgery, as the recovery period, is so very painful.
I also have a free fragment in my T11-12 area, that I'm still refusing surgery for, at this point in time.
That surgery is way too dangerous for me to consider, until if affects my being able to walk.

[This message has been edited by BAXTER (edited 01-12-2003).]

Closed Thread