It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2003, 02:16 AM   #1

jjkursed HB User
Question Info on L1, L2 Fusion

A post from milleman on the Spinal Cord Disorder healthboards, just wondering if anyone could help him as there have been no replies.

ORIGINAL POST:
Hi, Looking for advice please....
Due to a motorbike accident last June i managed to crush the L1 Vertebrae. Just had an MRI Scan and more X-rays which lead my first surgeon to recommend Fusing L1 to L2, am due to visit another neurosurgeon in two weeks for his opinion.
Quite frankly his description of the operation scared the pants off me, 9 Hours with possible complications such as ruptured diaphram and possibility of damage to major blood vessels.

Has anyone else had this done?, any advice greatly appreciated.

Old 01-29-2003, 05:36 AM   #2
(female)

nlfolds HB User
In July 2001, I had a fusion done concerning L1 & L2 and also L4 & L5 all at the same time. They removed the discs and fused them using a cage and titanium. Now 18 months later I have very little pain and get along fine. It will take you a long time to recover and you will lose a little mobility, but you should be fine. After the surgery rest alot and walk as much as you can. You may be in a brace (I was, some people are not). You will not be able to bend so get your house ready. Put everything you will need up so you can reach it. Have faith, everything will be fine...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2003, 09:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

successtory HB User
Hi JJ....

There are so many different kinds of surgeries out there that are non-invasive. I had an inverted hernia with 2 completely ruptured disks, in all 4 quadrants (there was basically nothing left of L5/S1) and they were able to rebuild it without going in with a knife by utilizing 3 different non-invasive surgeries or procedures (see below for my history). If you are still unsure after you talk to your doctor about your research findings, then get a 2nd opinion. There ARE times when fusion is simply the only option....but if you can do another procedure first...you could always do the fusion if it doesn't work. However, you cannot go back once you have fusion. Good luck to you!

------------------
successtory
Oct 2000: Repetitive Stress Injury-Inverted Hernia
Feb 2001: MRI. Shows only slight bulge at L4-L5
Dec 2001: Discogram/CT scan shows Inverted Hernia at L5-S1. L4-L5 & L5-S1 ruptured in all 4 quadrants. Unable to walk.
Feb 2002: IDET, Nucleoplasty, Intra-Discal Injections
Sept 2002: Rated in the top 10% for successful patients. Retraining for new career.

Closed Thread