It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2003, 12:53 PM   #1

courtney102882 HB User
Post Titanium rod in back?

Does anyone know anything about titanium rods? A friend of mine had one put in months ago, but now she is in pain all the time. She's on pain killers now and they're affecting her memory and she's getting addicted. Her doctor who put the rod in won't take it out, because he thinks the pain is all in her head, and doesn't think there is any "medical necessity" to take the rod out. No doctors will remove it so far for the same reason. But this rod may be the cause of all her troubles!

Does anyone have any input on this type of back problem, or know of a GOOD doctor in Minnesota?

------------------
--Courtney

Old 02-13-2003, 01:10 PM   #2
Inactive

BAXTER HB User
Hi Courtney,

I'm 9 weeks post-op from a two level fusion.
I have cages, rods and screws.

If your friend just had the surgery one month ago, the pain she is dealing with sounds normal.
Her pain may last from a few weeks, to many months.

I'm having a hell of a time with the pain, and my muscles are also rubbing on the screws, which makes things even worse.

Her doctor should be giving her pain meds to control the pain, if not, she should request some.

I feel like the doctor messed something up, but they just keep telling me that it was a highly invasive surgery, and to be patient.

I will keep your friend in my thoughts and prayers

I hope that she feels better really soon [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

Take Care,
Baxter [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love2.gif[/img]

------------------
Two level laminectomy fusion L5-S1 & L2-3 done on 12/6/02.
Fifteen inch scar from the very top of butt crack (sorry), to the bra line.
BAK cages, rods & screws.(Titanium)
My pelvic bone was used for grafting.
Praying that the other two discs in between, won't have to be fused later, as I was told it was a possibility, due to the other two discs in between, not being in that great of shape.
Doc didn't want to fuse four levels, unless it is really necessary.
I would hate to repeat the surgery, as the recovery period, is so very painful.
I also have a free fragment in my T11-12 area, that I'm still refusing surgery for, at this point in time.
That surgery is way too dangerous for me to consider, until if affects my being able to walk.

[This message has been edited by BAXTER (edited 02-13-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2003, 01:23 PM   #3
Inactive

BAXTER HB User
Hi Courtney,

I forgot to mention that the rods are used for stability.

Here is something I copied for you, the instruments are not usually removed, unless they cause problems.

The pedicle screw, which is sometimes used as an adjunct to spinal fusion surgery, provides a means of gripping a spinal segment.

The screws are placed at two or three consecutive spine segments and then a short rod is used to connect the screws. This construct prevents motion at the segments that are being fused.

After the bone graft grows, the screws and rods are no longer needed for stability and may be safely removed with a subsequent back surgery. However, most surgeons do not recommend removal unless the pedicle screws cause discomfort for the patient (5% to 10% of cases).

I hope this helps some

If she is feeling really bad, she needs to report that to her doctor, they may request to see her.

Have a super evening,
Baxter [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

------------------
Praying that the other two discs in between, won't have to be fused later, as I was told it was a possibility, due to the other two discs in between, not being in that great of shape.
I also have a free fragment in my T11-12 area, that I'm still refusing surgery for, at this point in time.
That surgery is way too dangerous for me to consider, until if affects my being able to walk.

Old 02-13-2003, 08:47 PM   #4

courtney102882 HB User
Talking

Thank you so much, Baxter! I really appreciate all the info you provided, as well as the good wishes you sent for my friend. I'm going to forward her a copy of what you've posted.

I hope your own pain is under control now. I read your signature, and it sounds like you have had quite a difficult recent surgery-- I wish you well for the future. And thanks again for all the useful info!!

P.S. Your smilies are adorable!

------------------
--Courtney

Old 02-14-2003, 04:37 AM   #5
Inactive

BAXTER HB User
Hi Courtney,

Thank you also for the well wishes.

Please ask us anything you need, please also ask your friend to join us, we would love to have her [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

This is a wonderful group of people, very knowledgable too [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif[/img] We love to share our experiences.

Here is some tips on using the smilie legend, as well as editing, I received them from our good friend Telzey, she is also a very helpful member here.

Here they are:

To edit a message: go to the little icon at the top of your message that says "EDIT" and click on it. It will bring up the reply page with your message in the text box. You can then edit it any way you like, fix typos, delete or add stuff, just as though you were typing it in the first time. The only difference is that little line at the bottom saying, "this message has been edited by ___"

I don't think it has a spell checker, though... you're on your own there!

As to the smilies, the only ones I know are the ones you get when you click on the "Smilies Legend" to the left of the text box as you're entered a reply. I just right-click on it so it'll bring up a new window full of all the different fun smilies I can use in my post. But remember, you can only use 8 in a post!!!!

I hope you have a great Valentine's Day [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

Please have fun this weekend [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif[/img]

Please tell your friend I hope she feels better soon, and if she wants to talk, we are here for her

Take Care,
Baxter [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love2.gif[/img]

------------------

Old 02-21-2003, 01:18 PM   #6

dawng HB User
i am 6 weeks post op from a similar surgery. i had anterior and posterior corrections of my severe kyphosis i had a curve of 80 degrees at23 years old. i was first diagnosed with it in 92 at 12. up until dec of 2002 i had breathing problems so on Jan 10th i had the surgery. i had a fusion from t5-t4 and t11-t12
i had a severe hump on my back. so they put in titanium rods and a cage. i too have hooks and screws. i am experiencing right now upper neck and shoulder pain. its spasms i think the doctor gave me this drug called Soma. its a muscle relaxer but im still in pain. but tell her to get some phsyical therapy and use a heating pad and also some muscle relaxers help.

hope this helped
Dawn

Old 02-21-2003, 05:24 PM   #7

Renee016 HB User
Hi Courtney and welcome. I have what they call a Harrington Rod in my back (T5-L3). It's stainless steel and I also have I don't know how many screws. The surgery was done 20 years ago for scoliosis. When I had this done I was 15 and out of commission for a whole school year. I know that things are different now and recovery time is a lot shorter but I still think this type of surgery takes time. You did not say why your friend had this surgery but I'm sure it was important. Before she can think about having anything removed, the bone has to fuse.

She should discuss her pain with her doctor, although I know how some doctors (especially surgeons) can seem so insensitive. Tell her not to give up. If the pain continues without getting any better, maybe she can see a nuerologist who can test for nerve damage.

Is she still in a brace? If so she might feel better when she doesn't have to wear it anymore. Sometimes the brace doesn't fit exactly right and that could cause its own discomfort.

Hope this was helpful and she feels better soon.
Renee

------------------
1982 Fusion surgery for scoliosis with stainless steel Harrington Rod (T5 - L3) using pelvic bone for grafting
1999 Neck problems began
2001 Cervical Kyphosis
2003 3 Herniated Cervical Discs - C4 thru C7. One disc (C5-6) pressing on the spinal cord (no nerve root compression) causing leg weakness, tingling and burning - diagnosed with myelopathy and anterior cervical discectomy recommended.
Surgery finally scheduled for 2/24/03!
2002 Diagnosed with Epstein-Barr (level was 7+) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
2003 3 Herniated Cervical Discs - C4 thru C7. One disc (C5-6) pressing on the spinal cord (no nerve root compression) causing leg weakness, tingling, burning and numbness - diagnosed with myelopathy and ACDF recommended.
2/24/03 One-Level Anterior Cervical Discectomy with donor bone and titanium plate (C5-6)
Post 2/03 - Symptoms returned and worsening. Weakness in my legs is like walking against a 50 mph wind - pain in lower back and all the way down my right leg to the ankle - vertigo, muscle spasms in trunk and legs
7/03 EEG, BAERS and MRI of brain all normal
7/03 MRI of lumbar spine showed mild herniated disc (L4/5) with moderate to severe DDD and edema in the endplates. HOLDING OUT FOR ARTIFICIAL DISC REPLACEMENT!

Old 02-21-2003, 05:33 PM   #8

Renee016 HB User
Sorry, somehow I posted twice so I erased this one. (oops, hee-hee )

Renee

[This message has been edited by Renee016 (edited 02-21-2003).]
2002 Diagnosed with Epstein-Barr (level was 7+) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
2003 3 Herniated Cervical Discs - C4 thru C7. One disc (C5-6) pressing on the spinal cord (no nerve root compression) causing leg weakness, tingling, burning and numbness - diagnosed with myelopathy and ACDF recommended.
2/24/03 One-Level Anterior Cervical Discectomy with donor bone and titanium plate (C5-6)
Post 2/03 - Symptoms returned and worsening. Weakness in my legs is like walking against a 50 mph wind - pain in lower back and all the way down my right leg to the ankle - vertigo, muscle spasms in trunk and legs
7/03 EEG, BAERS and MRI of brain all normal
7/03 MRI of lumbar spine showed mild herniated disc (L4/5) with moderate to severe DDD and edema in the endplates. HOLDING OUT FOR ARTIFICIAL DISC REPLACEMENT!

Closed Thread