It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2003, 10:18 PM   #1

dutch400 HB User
Talking 30 days post op and back to work

Hi to all

Went to the Doc Monday and he released me back to work. Been 30 days at home after my third laminectomy-discectomy at the L4 L5 level. I still have some burning in the leg but he said it will take some time do to the damage. Its my second day at work and feeling better. I think just getting out of the house is a big help. I been swimming twice a day again, and I really think that has kept me going through all my back problems. I use a snorkel and a mask so I donít twist and hyper extend my back doing laps. I will still be reading and posting because I really believe that talking with people how understand your troubles can ease the pain.

Nico

Old 03-05-2003, 05:42 AM   #2

Jackie K1 HB User
Smile

Hey Nico. Good to hear how you are doing.
I had my discectomy at L4-5 (fragment removed) on Friday so I'm at day 5.
I'm keeping tabs on you because you had the same thing done and this way I get reassurance that I'm not nuts if I feel a twinge here or numbness there.
Day 5 isn't very far along. I feel good, but I find that sitting increases numbness in my right leg and foot. I'm pretty much not taking any pain killers. Sometimes darvacet at night. (percocet was too strong for me from the 2nd day).
I've been just relaxing and watching TV either reclined or lieing flat with my knees on a pillow.
Ahhhhhhhhhh! That's nice.
Have you had any decrease in numbness of the leg?
That is what I am looking for.
So glad to hear you are back at work. Staying at home is fine for a very short while and then you get bored. I'm bored. But I want to heal properly so I don't want to push it.
Hope your path to good back health continues to improve.
Jackie

------------------
Jackie K1
L4-5 herniated w/ free fragment pressing on sciatic nerve.
2/28/03 will have Microscopic Discectomy to remove fragment.
2/28/03 Had MicroDiscectomy. Piece of Cake. Woke up--no pain, immediate improvement on right leg muscle weakness and lessened numbness. Life is good!
2/28/03 Had MicroDiscectomy. Piece of Cake. Woke up--no pain, immediate improvement on right leg muscle weakness and lessened numbness. Life is good!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2003, 06:02 AM   #3
(female)

ddp11 HB User
Hi Dutch400,
That's great that you got your release to go back to work! Today marks 3 weeks post-op for me... also a laminectomy/discectomy at the L4-5 level. I go back to the doc. on March 17th and I'm hoping for a release to go back to work at that time.
I hope this will be the final fix for you. I can't believe you've gone through this 3 times! Does the doctor give you any indication of why you have had 3 herniations of the same disc? That's my fear! I'm only 23 and don't want to have recurrences of this as my life goes on! Were your re-herniations spread out over the years or did they happen shortly after the surgery?
Well, congrats on the return to work and good luck with your continued recovery!

Old 03-05-2003, 08:11 AM   #4
(female)

nordon HB User
Smile

Hello all,
I'm 2 weeks post-op hemilami/microdiscectomy L5-S1 (I think you guys know that by now...!) and I'm feeling pretty good. I won't go back to work for another 4 weeks, and I'm thinking that maybe I'll try for a full 2 months off. I'm just really scared that something will happen at work that will make my back worse. I talked to my neurosurgeon's nurse clinician and she knows the kind of work I do (I have to be able to lift 50 pounds) and she said I shouldn't have a problem, but that a special PT might be helpful called work conditioning program. We'll see. I just want this surgery to stick.

I'm glad you all are doing well. Jackie, I might suggest that if sitting makes your leg go numb that you should avoid sitting altogether. I haven't sat down in 2 weeks and don't plan on it for another 4. I'm lucky in that I've never had numbness, just PAIN and a little tingling that started last September that lasted about a month. That was no fun. When the tingling started is when I decided I needed another MRI to see what was going on - sure enough there was definite nerve impingement - the first MRI wasn't so definitive. So that's when I thought that surgery was going to be my answer to this horrible pain... and it was!!!! So far so good. I can't wait until I'll be able to bend and twist without it hurting.

Good luck continuing in your recoveries! [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]
L5-S1 ALIF 6/30/12 - back pain is GONE!

Old 03-05-2003, 10:21 AM   #5
(female)

ruth ann HB User
Hi, Dutch!
That is so great to hear that you're going back to work. It's been a speedy recovery for you. Good for you for swimming. It is so good for your whole body and mind. And as you know, for those of us living in sunshine states, swimming is great right now!
Keep up your terrific recovery - you're a great example for all of us!
Take care, Dianne

Old 03-05-2003, 10:31 PM   #6

dutch400 HB User
Talking

Hi Jackie
I really had to much numbness, but the second time a ruptured the disc I had a lot of tingling that took over a year to go away. Sitting will be a live long problem so I have a job were I can get up and walk when I need too. I can even lay down.

Hi ddp11
I had my fist operation at 19 for a large Disc, one at 24, and now 38. They say you have a 15% change of a re-rupture but those odds go up the younger you are. I did a lot of thing I should have not, but I wanted to do anyways. Motorcycles, jet skis, lifting the wrong way, etc. Take care of your back, and learn about what can rupture it again. Stay away from those activities and you will be fine. A strong back is not always a wise one.

Hi Eloile
I would do the work conditioning program, 50Lb is still a good amount to lift. I ruptured the disc 2 out of 3 by lifting the wrong way. Remember if it feels to heavy it properly is.

Hi Dianne
Swimming is the key

Keep up the recoveries and will see each other through this twist in the road. Mine road is starting to have a lot of curves

[img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif[/img]

Old 03-06-2003, 07:50 AM   #7

biff HB User
Thumbs up

Great to hear your doing well Dutch. God Bless.

Old 03-09-2003, 06:33 AM   #8
(male)

hawks066 HB User
Glad to hear you guys are doing well. I haven't posted in awhile, but am also doing pretty good since my 2nd micro discectomy about 3 weeks ago. I still have a little tingling in my foot that comes and goes.

WE just had a baby on March 6, and couldn't miss the birth of our son, so I went to the hospital 4 hours after my wife, and about 3 hours after that, our new baby was born.. Since I was up and about sitting, standing, and walking for quite awhile, my back and legs were very sore and weak.. I can't wait to get into PT, and water therapy!!!

I've also had a little bit of small toe pain on my foot, which after the hospital visit with my wife, has come on a little more. I hope I didn't overdue anything. I followed my list of things the doctor gave me such as walk as much as you can, don't sit for more then 20-30 min at a time without getting up and walking... Stuff like that. Also no lifting more then 8 pounds, which I didn't do either. My son was given to my on my lap while I was sitting down. He was born at 8 pounds 8 ounces.. When we left the hospital he is now 8.2.. LOL.. I don't think the 2 ounces will be a big deal..

I also go back to my surgeon on March 17, someone is going to their's that day also. I expect him to have me bend over and he will also be doing the straight leg raises on me at this time also. I just hope I can do these with no pain, then I know that I am doing really well.. If I can bend over with no pain, I will have to party!!! I also expect him to release me to atleast part time light duty, or full time light duty work...

Take Care
Jesse

Old 03-09-2003, 06:45 AM   #9
Inactive

BAXTER HB User
Hi Jesse,

Congratulations on the birth of your son, I bet he is a cutey

Pretty soon, you will be out playing football with him, with a healthy back to boot

I wish you and your wife well on your recoveries

Take Care,
Baxter [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

------------------
Two level laminectomy fusion L5-S1 & L2-3 done on 12/6/02.
Fifteen inch scar from the very top of butt crack (sorry), to the bra line.
BAK cages, rods & screws.(Titanium)
My pelvic bone was used for grafting.
Praying that the other two discs in between, won't have to be fused later, as I was told it was a possibility, due to the other two discs in between, not being in that great of shape.
Doc didn't want to fuse four levels, unless it is really necessary.
I would hate to repeat the surgery, as the recovery period, is so very painful.
I also have a free fragment in my T11-12 area, that I'm still refusing surgery for, at this point in time.
That surgery is way too dangerous for me to consider, until if affects my being able to walk.

Old 03-09-2003, 11:10 AM   #10
(female)

ddp11 HB User
Hi there hawks. I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on the new baby! That is great news. It must be nice for you to be able to concentrate on some good news rather than your back problems.
If I recall from some of your other posts, you had surgery a few months ago, then re-herniated, and had to have surgery again--is this correct? I'm currently 3 1/2 weeks post-op. I'm just curious how you re-herniated... I'm trying to be careful so that doesn't happen to me!!
It sounds like your recovery is going pretty well. I bet the baby wears you out a bit though. Just be sure to continue to take it easy.
Congrats again!!

Old 03-10-2003, 06:21 AM   #11
(female)

ddp11 HB User
Hi dutch,
I just thought I'd write to see how week 1 was back at work! I'm sure it was nice to get out of the house and back to "normal" life. I think I'm going back to work in about a week. I'm a little nervous though--I'm not sure if I'm quite physically ready, but maybe one more week will make me ready.
Also, I am curious to hear what your 4 week post-op trip to the doctor was like. Did he make you try to bend over, do leg raises, anything like that?
Glad to hear your recovery went so well. I hope your week at work wasn't too tiring!!

Old 03-10-2003, 07:53 AM   #12
(male)

hawks066 HB User
Hey there dp...

I had a micro endoscopic discectomy the first time around on Jan 13... AFter the surgery I felt better and didn't have the horrible left leg pain anymore in the mornings when it hurt the most. I still had an ache in my hamstring though... The more I think about it, I don't think I re herniated it. The doctor said that's the biggest possiblity but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me now. I think he missed a piece because of the enscopic procedure which I read about. The article I read said that this procedure usually requires more open procedures 50 % of the time because it's hard to see everything.. My herniation shot up, not out, which the PA told me it was harder to get at.. So I put two and two together and came up with that.. Who really knows what the actual problem was.. I feel better this time around although some symptoms came back at 7 days which the doctor told me might happened before hand. I have some tingling going on right now in my foot and around my calf this is bothering me. It doesn't hurt or anything, and there is no pain associated with it, but it doesn't make sense. I dunno. I just want to get into PT and start being somewhat active soon.. I haven't done much of anything since Jan 13, and really before that I was limited since August/September...

Thanks for replying.. Take Care
Jesse

Old 03-10-2003, 10:01 PM   #13

dutch400 HB User
Talking

Hi there ddp11

Iím at work now going on my 8 days strait. They make you pay when you take some time off. Iím doing ok. Still have some hip pain and burning in the leg. I had this for 2 years before the surgery so I think it will take some time to resolve. When I saw the doctor he did not do much just ask how I was doing. No test or anything. My other doctors in the past did do the leg test and bending. Every doc has its own way. He did tell me not to do anything that triggers the leg pain. I can ride my motorcycle again around town he said, so this weekend Iím taking the wife for a ride J I hope yours and every one else recovery keeps going well!!!!

Hi Jesse
Hang in there. I had a lot of tingling for years after my second surgery. You will get used to it and find, one day the tingling is all gone. Itís no fun, but with the increase of activities soon, you will focus less on your leg. Hope the little one is doing well and you ďwillĒ be playing ball with him when he gets older. I coach my steps son soccer team no matter how bad my back might hurt. The Joy I get from it out ways the pain.

NICO
[img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2003, 04:48 AM   #14
(female)

ddp11 HB User
Hi there dutch!
Thanks for the response. Wow--8 days straight of working? You must be exhausted!! [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/tired.gif[/img] How has it been?
I guess you're right about the doctors--every doctor does it differently, so I guess I won't really know what to expect until I get there next Monday! I am just curious how they make the decision to release us for work or not. I do a lot of driving with my job and also a lot of standing/sitting and I really don't feel all that comfortable doing any of those things yet, so I'll be interested to see what my doc. says about going back to work. I'm mentally ready to go back, just not quite physically ready yet... we'll see.

Thanks also for your response, hawks. Your theory about the doctor possibly missing a "piece" sounds like it might be right. I have read the same thing about the endoscopic procedure. How did he know that you needed a follow-up surgery--was it b/c you were in a lot of pain? Did they do an MRI or any other tests after your first surgery to realize you needed another surgery? It sounds like this surgery should (knock on wood) be the final fix for you! I know what you mean about wanting to get out and do things. I've been limited with running, playing basketball, etc. for about a year b/c of this problems, so I am looking forward to the summer to do all kinds of activities!! [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif[/img]
If I recall, I think you said you are in your early 20s in another post--is that right? I am too, so we are in the same boat. Unfortunately, I've read elsewhere on the Internet and also in some other posts on this site, that us youngsters are at a greater risk of re-herniating down the road... the younger you are, the greater the risk--YUK. Hopefully we'll both beat the odds!
How's the baby doing? Did you have a boy or girl?

Well, thanks to both of you for your responses. Dutch, don't work too hard--it's time for a day off!!

Old 03-11-2003, 08:06 AM   #15
(male)

hawks066 HB User
Hey,

Basically I was in the worse pain of my life 3 weeks after the first surgery. I went to the ER onces about 3 weeks after the first surgery because my nerve was so inflamed that I could do nothing to get rid of the pain. 2-3 percocets did nothing to the pain. It was a massive throbbing inside the back of my hamstring, behind my knee and around my buttocks. I never knew that anyone experienced the type of pain I was having. I didn't think anything like that was possible. That pain only came around when I was active for a little while. If I went walking, I paid for it. If I took a car ride, I would pay for it. So this is basically what he said... I recommend going right back in and skipping PT because of the pain you are in. He ran his physical tests and I was worse off then before. I had a lot of pain even when he had me bend backwards. I agreed with his statement... If walking was putting me down for the count with a 10 level, what would PT do?

His people got my right in that night for an MRI at 7:30 pm. It showed another herniation with a possible synovial cyst. It turned out that there was no cyst the doctor said, just the herniation.

I'm only 21 years old. Which for this type of injury, is not good. I just pray I get the chance to prevent further injuries, and pray that I will be normal again.. THis is really killing me, and depression is getting to me.

We had a baby boy.. He's been so good.. I figured he would be crying non stop like our other little one, but he has been so quiet and only cries when he gets changed because of his circumsizion (sp?), or when he is hungry. So far so good. It's a really good thing that he isn't up all hours because I would feel so bad for my wife because I am useless.

Take Care

Jesse

[This message has been edited by hawks066 (edited 03-11-2003).]

Closed Thread