It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2003, 08:07 PM   #1

ptnends HB User
Post Hello all.

Hello everyone! I'm a 23 year old man with back problems who happened upon this site. I'm a veteran of the Air Force and my back condition is service connected. I have several stories from several of the doctors on my condition lol. First I was told I had a fracture at L4 then I was told by a nuerosurgon that I had degenerate...no too young for degentarive disks....deformed disks at l3 l4 and l5 s1. He said the one at l5 s1 is protruding into the area that the spinal cord is and was probably causing all my leg problems. He said that if I were older he'd say surgury right away but that it's not advisable at my age. Unfortunatly since then it's gotten worse and in a short amount of time. My primary care physician says that my records only mention bone spurs in my lumbar spine. I'm rather confused. And in pain tonight as I tried to work again today and well after 4 hours I was shaking like a leaf in some pretty good pain with a leg that I frankly wouldn't mind if it just fell off Now I know from alot of what I read that I don't have the massive pain that some of you have but have also discovered that what I do have is way too much for me. I've had the problems for over 4 years going on 5 and have never been perscribed a pain killer just anti inflammatories and muscle relaxants....do my doctors just suck or do they normally wait for you to pull out your hair and beg???? Just hurting enough to have to mouth off and get some of those bugging me to death questions answered.
Oh yeah I guess paragraphs might be good Oh well I see the surgeon again tommorow to probably hear the well either do it or go away speach but it's the way they play the game. I wish you all the best and quick healing! Just had a hard day, that's all. But hey it got me to finally post!

Leroy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2003, 06:56 AM   #2
Inactive

BAXTER HB User
Hi Leroy,

Welcome

I'm so sorry that you are having so much trouble.

It seems to me that you are getting too many different stories from these doctors.

Maybe you can discuss having a discogram with your new doctor, it seems like they can't seem to pinpoint exactly what is going on in your back.

The discogram picks up so much more then MRI's and Cat Scans alone do. (It's not the most pleasant thing to go through, but I was glad to have it done, and would do it again if I needed answers)

I'm not a doctor, but I can say that I personally think the discogram is the very best diagnostic test available, especially when you need to finally find out what is causing your pain.

It's only a suggestion, but I wanted to let you know about it.

Good luck today [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif[/img] and please keep us posted.

Be Well,
Baxter [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

------------------
Two level laminectomy fusion L5-S1 & L2-3 done on 12/6/02.
Fifteen inch scar from the very top of butt crack (sorry), to the bra line.
BAK cages, rods & screws.(Titanium)
My pelvic bone was used for grafting.
Praying that the other two discs in between, won't have to be fused later, as I was told it was a possibility, due to the other two discs in between, not being in that great of shape.
Doc didn't want to fuse four levels, unless it is really necessary.
I would hate to repeat the surgery, as the recovery period, is so very painful.
I also have a free fragment in my T11-12 area, that I'm still refusing surgery for, at this point in time.
That surgery is way too dangerous for me to consider, until if affects my being able to walk.

Old 04-14-2003, 04:03 PM   #3
(female)

ddp11 HB User
Hi there Leroy,
Well, unfortunately, I don't have too much advice for you, but wanted to say hello. I, too, am from Pittsburgh and am also 23 years old, so I can definitely relate to your situation. I had a herniated disc @ L4-L5 and had a laminectomy/discectomy 2 months ago to correct the problem. My surgeon certainly didn't think my age was too young for surgery! But, we do have different situations, so you may require a completely different surgery that isn't quite advisable for someone your age--who knows.
Anyway, I just wanted to say hello from one Steelers fan to another (at least I hope you are since you live in Pittsburgh!!)
Good luck with your decision and I'll be anxious to hear how your appointment went today!

[img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

------------------
L4-L5 disc herniation
Leg/butt pain for one year
Laminectomy/Discectomy - 2/12/03

Closed Thread