It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2004, 08:02 PM   #1
(female)

Love2cook HB User
Question Muscle Relaxers: Flexeril vs. Soma

My Dr. just switched me from Flexeril to Soma.

I asked to try something other than Flexeril because I was noticing 1) It didn't seem to really help my muscle cramps 2) I seemed to be much "crabbier" and short tempered while on it. Almost like it was a depressant. And I didn't need a negative attitude on top of everything else right now! Flexeril made me very sleepy at first but that soon wore off and I could take it during the day with out being too out of it.

I am interested to hear others experiences with either of the two meds. Does one help more than another?

I have only taken Soma once so far and I got very sleepy, kind of drunk feeling and got a very bad headache. Not sure if the headache was from the Soma or just sinuses. I may give it another try but not during the day when I need to be alert!
Thanks, once again, for any input you can give me!

Elaine

Last edited by Love2cook; 07-10-2004 at 07:46 AM.

Old 07-09-2004, 08:41 PM   #2

Iwant2heal HB User
Re: Muscle Relaxers: Flexeril vs. Soma

Hello,

I am not the most knowledgable person when it comes to painkillers, but I was on flexeril for two weeks. I went off it and switched to a combo of tylenol with codeine and naproxin. I went off the flexeril because it really didn't seem to help with my pain either. I didn't find that the Flexeril made me depressed, but it definately made me too tired and just plainly "out of it". The first pill I took made me sleep for 12 hours but it seemed like I built a resistance up very quickly. To get any kind of painkiller effect I was taking the maximum dose in a just a few days (I am a really tiny woman so usually I only take 1/2 of what the prescription says because drugs seem to really effect me).

I do not know anything about Soma, I hope you find the drug that's right for you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2004, 06:37 AM   #3

babyboula HB User

I was told Soma should only be used for a short period of time; that Soma loses it's potency after a few weeks of use. Beyond making me very sleepy, I couldn't tell if it worked even in the beginning. Flexeril worked just slighty better than Soma for me. At the time I was also taking Percocet and Etodolac, and all I can say is I was very doped up and still in a lot of pain.

Old 07-10-2004, 11:57 AM   #4

acme HB User

I took Flexeril for years before my Fusion surgery.( Made me sleeply but worked) I don't recall being depressed! My Doc never offered me anything different!

Old 07-12-2004, 10:12 AM   #5

LS56 HB User

My doc admitted to me a couple of months ago that both of these drugs are simply sleeping pills; they just use the term "muscle relaxant" because it sounds better to pain sufferers. I didn't ask if all drugs that were called "muscle relaxers" were truly sleeping pills, or whether there were some true ones out there.

Old 07-12-2004, 10:56 AM   #6

Bunky HB User

Hello--I too have cramping problems in my back and legs after my fusion on June 8th....I opted not to take any drugs after the 2nd day post opt. I did take Tylenol PM twice but find a glass of milk a half hour prior to bed has done better than any drug Ive ever taken----Give it a try for a few nights...Its also relaxes me and very few cramps now????? Bunky

Old 07-13-2004, 02:29 PM   #7

GracieGirl HB User

I have been on soma for about 6 months now. I only take it at night. It helps me sleep, and it has a bit of a pain killer in it, according to my dr. I tried flexeril during the day, but it didn't do anything for me. My dr switched me to baclofen. It is an antispasmotic drug. It helps a bit more than the mr's do. Good luck,
Gracie

Old 07-13-2004, 07:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

see if doc has samples of skelaxin works wonderfuly well for me and little side effects

flexeril didn't seem to help me at all

have a script of carisoprodol i think generic soma and it helps put me to sleep
and sometimes that is well appreicated

Old 02-02-2007, 03:15 PM   #9
(female)

jzedalis HB User

[QUOTE=LS56;1102924]My doc admitted to me a couple of months ago that both of these drugs are simply sleeping pills; they just use the term "muscle relaxant" because it sounds better to pain sufferers. I didn't ask if all drugs that were called "muscle relaxers" were truly sleeping pills, or whether there were some true ones out there.[/QUOTE]

Your doctor is very ignorant and I think is just trying to convince you that you don't really need another prescription. Which also may not be true. I took flexeril for 15 years for muscle spasms and they worked very well until I went through 5 different surgeries and suffered considerable nerve damage. This nerve damage causes me lots of spasms. The flexeril from taking it 3x a day caused me terrible sinus problems so I was switched to Soma. Which work great. The reason why doctors do not like to prescribe soma's is because they turn to demeral as soon as they hit the acid in your stomache. And by far the best muscle relaxer is valium. But I am sure we all know why doctors don't prescribe that except in very serious conditions.

To educate some of you on why a spasm occurs, your nerves can be irritated from bone spurs, herniated disks, etc. When the nerves are irritated they send a signal to your brain telling it to "freeze" your muscle so the nerve can stop being irritated. But we all know how painful the spasms are. So you just end up in a viscious circle. Now it is also true that they are not true muscle relaxers. But they are the only three noted to have any affect on the body. But they do help you to relax and therefore your muscles relax. The pain makes you tense, which makes your muscles tighten, which irritates your nerves. You get the picture. I would get another doctors opinion. There are many pain management doctors in this country. And more and more are realizing that it is inhuman to make people suffer just to avoid being adicted to a narcotic. Being able to function in life is becoming more important. If a medication does not work for you. Keep telling him until he listens. If he doesn't listen, its time to look for another doctor. It took me 5 years to find an awesome family practioner. If it were not for her listening to me, I would be a quadroplegic by now.

And Bunky not all of us are as lucky as you. Tell your mom I'll call her. LOL was really surprised to scroll up and see your post. Wish milk worked for me. You'd die if you knew all the prescriptions I am on. But without them. I can't move. So we are all different. And all meds react differently on each of us. Which is the reason for so many on the market. But if you continue to be uncomfortable, in pain, not sleeping, then continue to pester your doctor to help you be comfortable. In todays world and resources there is no reason for people with access to theses resources to be in pain.

Last edited by jzedalis; 02-02-2007 at 03:22 PM. Reason: one comment

Old 02-02-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

I'm sorry that I have no experience with Soma, but I have tried Flexeril. Unfortunately for me, it didn't seem to relieve my spasms & neither did Skelaxin.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

clover60 HB User

I have had soma in the past and it works well for muscle spasms however it does give me that drunk feeling for about 2 hrs after taking it.

My current Dr will not prescribe Soma he said it is not good for the liver and acts like a tranqulizer.

I have pretty good luck with flexerial but only at night. My last bad bout that sent me to the er the other day. They gave me norflex it works very well. I take one in the morning and 1 at night not much side effects.

Good luck

Old 02-03-2007, 07:35 AM   #12
(female)

mammaof2 HB User

i have been on both for a while. soma i've been on for 3 yrs. it doesn't work as well after a while, but i like it b/c i don't feel funny. maybe only for like 30min. it seems better if i'm driving, or dealing w/my kids.
flexeril didnt give me any relief, and i woke up feeling hung over, and i didnt like that. i would like to find something else that works, b/c i think the soma just isnt working anymore. it did relieve the cramps...good luck!

Old 02-03-2007, 09:27 AM   #13
(male)

webdude HB User

I used to take flexeril, and my new Dr told me that it wasnt very effective and to take Soma.. I did feel that it worked better, but made me feel wierd, and could not get a deep sleep.. I looked up side effects and said that it could give you insomnia, although it makes you sleepy.. Sounds contradictory, but it is exactly what I felt like... Very sleepy, but could not get to a deep sleep..

I ended up switching to valium, which works the best of all.. makes me sleep, and seems to help my back.. When I was rushed to the ER due to a herniated disc, they injected me with Valium, so it must be the best muscle relaxer... The only problem is that it can be habit forming, so it isnt something that I want to take long term..

One more thing.. I think that in general, anything that reduces pain can be a muscle relaxer.. the reason that you get the spasms is that your back is trying to protect something.. Perhaps if the mind things there is nothing wrong, it will lighten up the spasm..

God Bless,

Maurizio

Old 02-03-2007, 11:56 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

zeroman HB User

I was on soma for a few months. they work well as a muscle relaxer but at night they put me to sleep for a couple hours and then I would wake up and have problems sleeping. during the day they made me lethargic. so I got the "drowsiness and insomnia" side effects both at once.

they break down into phenobarbitol in your system, which is a sedative. hence the side effects of tiredness. they are also hard on the liver. my doc doesnt like them long term.

flexeril didnt help me at all. zanaflex seemed to be a fair compromise. they made me drowsy but not as bad as soma, and seemed to help the cramps and tightness.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

zeroman HB User

I was on soma for a few months. they work well as a muscle relaxer but at night they put me to sleep for a couple hours and then I would wake up and have problems sleeping. during the day they made me lethargic. so I got the "drowsiness and insomnia" side effects both at once.

soma breaks down into phenobarbitol in your system, which is a sedative. hence the side effects of tiredness. they are also hard on the liver. my doc doesnt like them long term.

flexeril didnt help me at all. zanaflex seemed to be a fair compromise. they made me drowsy but not as bad as soma, and seemed to help the cramps and tightness.

Closed Thread