It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2004, 06:16 PM   #1
(female)

BobiM HB User
Disability for back problems

Has anyone out there applied for SSDI? My son had to quit his job because of spondylolisthesis and a diffuse bulging diskand annular tear. His degree is in horticulture and has always worked in a greenhouse setting which necessitates lots of twisting, stooping, bending, heavy lifting and digging.

Now he's looking at a two level decompression and fusion surgery.

Any input would be helpful.

Bobi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2004, 06:28 PM   #2

dave-r HB User
Smile Re: Disability for back problems

Hey Bob...I have several back problems, ruptured disk at C6-7 and L4-5 for which I had a bad laser surgury on 9 years ago. I am also a Vocational Rehab counselor for the state of Oklahoma and am experienced in clients going through all of the "hoops" with SSI and SSDI. It can take upwards to a year from when you apply to get determined eligible for SSDI and in some case the first application is denied out of hand and you have to re-apply. It all depends on the medical evaluations. Medicare does not kick in until a person has been on SSDI for 24 months. I understand your frustration and concern. I wish you well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2004, 07:45 PM   #3
(female)

BobiM HB User
Re: Disability for back problems

[QUOTE=dave-r] It can take upwards to a year from when you apply to get determined eligible for SSDI and in some case the first application is denied out of hand and you have to re-apply. It all depends on the medical evaluations. Medicare does not kick in until a person has been on SSDI for 24 months. I understand your frustration and concern. I wish you well.[/QUOTE]

When you say that it all depends on the medical evaluations, what exactly should they say that would make it helpful to get the disability?

Old 07-27-2004, 11:20 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Haw'nCarl HB User

Aloha Bobi,

I concur with dave, having said that, in response to your second posted question, I really don’t think there is any one thing that you, or your son's doctors will say that will sway them one way or another, they will mull over the hard evidence and make a determination. The reason…well, I should say that more than likely, one of the main reasons that they take so long is that they do a very thorough investigation, they will subpoena all of your son’s medical records and the likes and may send him for some IME’s so the earlier you get the ball rolling the better. I applied over six months ago, and they are still going through the investigation phase, they are actually sending me for a full psyche evaluation in August, this really floored me as I am filing for a physical disability, I have since found out that this is quite common for SS to do. I have also found out that I am making too much money from W/C to be eligible for benefits at this time, but at least I will have done the hard and long part if and when I need the SSDI benefits. Good Luck.

Carl

Last edited by Haw'nCarl; 07-27-2004 at 11:26 PM.

Old 07-28-2004, 10:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Many individuals have been rewarded SSI and or SSD for having back problems. One qualifies for SSD if they are over the age of 18 and have enough qualifying work credits, it comes out to about 3/4 years worked since the age of 18 from the date you filed. So for example if someone was say 30 they will have need to worked at a minimum 8 of 12 years. The number actually may be higher but it is a ball park at least. SSD generally pays a lot more than SSI and is based on what your salary was and how much you have payed into SS.

SSI is geared towards those who do not have enough qualifying work credits and are deemed low income.

It is a tedious process and a lot of it will rely on how good of medical records your son's doctor keeps. If they are sloppy or not enough information chances are you will get denied. Being denied on the first application happens probably 99% of the time unless you are blind or have full blown HIV.

They will also look at if there are any other possible jobs your son can partake in, though this is not always accurate, they may say you can do a sedimentary job when in reality you can't because of the pain.

To apply call the 1-800 number on their site, you can also apply online but I just preferred to call. THey will send him a packet to fill out, have him be as through in his answers as he can be explaining why he can no longer work, such as pain and the type of pain he has as well as his diagnosis. List all the doctors he currently sees. You send the form in and wait for them to call for a phone interview and then the process goes from there.

Expect at least a year's wait, if not longer. If he is uncomforatable with the process hired a qualified social security lawyer, they can only take 25% or 5200 whichever is less, from the back pay and it comes directly out of the first check or backpay that he gets.

Good luck. You may also want to check out the disabilities board where many of your questions are answered regarding SSI/SSD

Closed Thread