It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2004, 12:52 PM   #1
(female)

hayden1107 HB User
To all the supporters, my surgery is now booked for August 30th 2004 at 8am

[SIZE=2][B]To all the supporters out there:[/B] [/SIZE]

I went to my appointment on Wednesday to do my MRI check up with my orthopaedic surgeon, and he told me that my spine has unaligned itself at my L5-S1 disc and has slipped out 2 cm and pushing on my nerves very badly. So since I start school on September 7th, he booked my surgery for August 30th, due to a cancellation, and says 8 days is enough for me to go to school. But I'd still be recovering quite a bit. He will prescribe morphine for me.
But you guys are probably wondering, what will happen when I undergo the knife, so here goes : he will take out the l5-s1 disc out and replace it with a "spacer", basically a plate, and fuse bone graft around it, which comes from my spine. He said taking the bone graft from the hip will make it very painful for me. The incision will be 3 inches. I will lose 2 cups of blood.

As for [SIZE=2][B][U][I]SMOKING[/I][/U][/B] [/SIZE] he said he advises me to quit but doesnt pressure me to, as because he understands my stress with recovering from a surgery and going to college at the same time, and dealing with my 2 year old son. But the percentage he gave me was a 30% failure rate, but he said if I wanted to, I can cut back to like 2 smokes a day, not to smoke anymore. Then I should be clear but not guaranteed of course.
But don't quote this because I'm from Canada and it could be different.

But to all the wonderful experts, does this sound right? Or is there some more answers I should be seeking??

[B]Thanks again![/B]

[B][SIZE=2]P.S- Please read my new messages posted under this subject, as I answer other questions from members, who ask me questions![/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by hayden1107; 08-12-2004 at 09:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2004, 02:30 PM   #2

TAZMZN HB User
Re: To all the supporters, my surgery is now booked for August 30th 2004 at 8am

Hello Hayden,

Eight Days? I don't know how you will be able to sit at school in that short amount of time! It is great to have hope. However, the reality is it will take at least 2-3 weeks to start sitting or feeling like you want to do anything. If you do to much to soon you could risk damaging the proceedure. Trust me you don't want to go through it again.

Did the doc say that your surgery is going to be a FUSION? Thats what it sounds like! This surgery requires a 2 to 5 day stay in the hospital. This surgery also takes 8 to 12 weeks before most doctors will even release to light duty.

Also, you said bone graft from the hip! That is extra pain and recovery time.

I would highly recommend you see your professors before your surgery and see if they can email you the class assignments for the first few weeks.

I am 6 weeks post op from a L5-S1 fusion TILF/Post approach and I still feel like I got hit by a truck.

Don't let the Doc push you to fast, take it slow after your surgery. All my doc will let me do is walk, walk, walk, and walk. If you have a fusion after the second week you should be walking a mile a day to create blood flow around the surgery area so it can heal faster.

Smoking, I would say quit! Easy! No way! However, Your back is way more important. If you choose to smoke your bone has a HIGH chance it will not fuse together. That means you have more pain, more surgeries! I heard this great tip on how to quit smoking! ( Take Thirty (30) rubber bands and put them around your pack of cigs and everytime you crave one you have to work hard to get the bands off. That will give your brain time to relize that your back is way more important than smoking.

I wish you the best!

Keep us posted!

Take care,

TAZ

Old 07-30-2004, 03:59 PM   #3

MzTeeinLB HB User

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Hiya Hayden

I don't know where your ortho got his license - but I would check into it if I were you!!! I have a similar surgery scheduled for 9/8 and was told I would be out of work for 3 to 4 months. Albeit only in the hospital for a max of 4 days - but on short term disability for 3 to 4 months.

I hate to post anything negative but that really doesn't sound right at all.

What ever the outcome, I wish you the best of luck and a very quick recovery!!

All my best,
Tina [/COLOR] [/FONT]

Old 07-30-2004, 06:02 PM   #4
(female)

onthemendnow HB User

Wow ... I can't imagine you going back to school (or work, or anything else) after only 8 days. No way that is recommended. I also hate to be negative but I can't think of anything else to say -- this sounds totally off.

Old 07-30-2004, 10:56 PM   #5
(male)

mpullee HB User

2MM....Come on now...2mm is not much...How about an epidural or 3 before MAJOR surgery, and then an IDET at best....Get another opinion....

Old 07-31-2004, 06:49 AM   #6

Jenna'sMom HB User

Hayden,
I am 12 days post op from posterior/anterior interbody fusion L4-S1, and there is no way I could be going to school right now.

I usually only reply if I have something good to say, but your ortho sounds wacko!

Here's some questions to ask him;
1. Are the "spacers" cages or cadaever bone?
2. Is he using BMP to stimulate fusion?
3. If he's taking bone for graft from your spine, just what part? I've never heard of taking a bone graft from the spine!
4. Is he planning just a posterior (from the back) approach, or anterior (from the front too). When the replace a disk, they usually do it from the front.
5. Any rods or screws?

You are really young which helps with healing, but there's no way you'll be able to sit that long for classes. They usually reccomend you only sit for 20-30 minutes 4 to 5 times a day for the first month. You can't lift more than 5 lbs the first month either, how are you going to lug around your school books? If he's going to have you on morphine, you're not going to remember most of your lectures anyway, nor will you be able to focus much on reading.

Have the surgery (seek another surgical opinion though please), talk to the counselors at school, and postpone college for a semester. You have all the time in the world. School's not going anywhere.

Sorry if I'm sounding like your mother, but your situation brings out all those instincts in me. Please listen to all the responses you're getting here.

Good luck to you, please let us know what happens, we are all pulling for you.

Julie

APLIF T4-S1 on july 19, 2004
Harrington rod T5 - T12 1982

Old 07-31-2004, 07:31 AM   #7

acme HB User

Hayden,
No way!! Find another Doc.......Postpone Surgery for now! Your Doc's got Rocks in his head!! Had Fusion......been there ......Did that!! JMO!!

Old 07-31-2004, 06:40 PM   #8

debX HB User

Ok bud. I have had too many family members with horror stories because their surgeon oops'd. SO, this is my recommendation. Have you looked into [B]CRANIAL SACRAL THERAPY[/B]. I have had many loved ones including myself see phenomenal and gracefully FAST results with this therapy. Please check it out for peace of mind. Know this, they don't operate and may be able to fix your back!!! WHOA! It's an ancient and VERY effective therapy I have found. It realigns the skeletal structure of the human body naturally. IMAGINE! it even makes bouncing occur (from pure excitement and relief!) be well, deb

Old 07-31-2004, 07:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

please get another doc to go over your charts and ask questions

also why not a donar bone graph? why is not being offered???'

i am 2 months post of a 2 level fusion no way can i do much of anything yet .....
write down jennas moms questions they are good ones!!!!

i do get you are younger but read here and the spinal disorders boards and you might get an idea of what your'e in for

and even with surgery its a long road to recovery please ask questions and have a clue its hard road without being as prepared as you can be can help big time knowing what might lie ahead, also do you have a plan for some help for you after surgery??? what about preparations for that first week????

Old 07-31-2004, 10:50 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

[QUOTE=mpullee]2MM....Come on now...2mm is not much...How about an epidural or 3 before MAJOR surgery, and then an IDET at best....Get another opinion....[/QUOTE]

NO epidural!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-31-2004, 10:55 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

There are many more alternatives to surgery. Why is the doctor so quick to jump on surgery as an option? If it was an emergency he would have schedued you right away. I would seek more opinions and then have a long chat with those on the boards who have to have had more than one surgery.

What about PT? pain management, etc? Surgery is something HUGE that you can't go back on, ever.

Old 08-01-2004, 05:27 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

Hi!!
8 DAYS!?!?!?!?!? When I was contimplating the fusion my neuro told me at least 3 days in the hospital, and 12 weeks for recovery. I think you should go for another opione ~ it just doesn't sound right. Since the Dr. had a cancelation, maybe he is just trying to fill his OR time..... that's no reason to have surgery!
Good Luck, keep us posted!
~M~

Old 08-12-2004, 09:19 PM   #13
(female)

hayden1107 HB User

Thanks guys for all your support,

Well today is August 12th at 11:53pm, my time..Eastern Canada

I had my pre-op appointment on Monday the 9th, and it went pretty well. I talked to my anethesiologist and he told me they would put me to sleep through my I.V, and I was told this is the exact wording of my surgery..
"L5-S1 Laminectomy & spondyolo reduction & interbody fusion & dynograph".
7.5 hour surgery, got to be there at 6:15am, and days in the hospital are 2-4.

A nurse also took my blood for testing, making sure Im not pregnant, confirming my blood type, etc. I was also told if I have to go through a blood transfusion, it won't be my blood, since my surgery was booked for ASAP. But since Canada has gone through all those disease things, like West Nile, Mad Cow, Sars, etc. They have increased all testing by like 100%, so I should not worry, but no guarantee, I'd rather take the blood, instead of dying in the operating room.

I am very greatful that you guys are there for me, but I have been living with this pain since I was 17 and Im turning 20 in november. I have a 2 year old son, and have a full life a head of me. But my pain in my lower back started shooting down the other leg(which was perfectly fine throughout these years), so now I have pain in both legs. Im getting worse by the week. I have already tried physiotherapy, the chiropractor(3 different ones), waiting for it to heal, seen kineseologists, joining the gym etc. I had two choices, which was either the epidural shots or surgery. Now I know for sure, I am not going to do the shots because it won't get rid of my injuries, who knows I could get worse, since I will no longer feel all my pain. And I read that you should only take a few in a whole lifetime, and I no longer want to depend on medications to fix me. I have one more appointment before my surgery, which is to see my orthpaedic surgeon, just in case I have more questions to ask, in which i have lots. All my friends are coming over a few days before my surgery, and we're going to clean my whole house, organize everything, making sure everything is in arm's reach.

And the best thing so far is,
I did talk to disability services at my school, and they are giving me a bursary of $10,000 to go towards all education related medical costs. So far, its being used for a brand new top of the line computer(so if I have trouble some days, they can send me my assignments), new desk (big enough so I don't have to keep moving around grabbing my things), new lumbar support chair(we all should know what thats for), backbrace and all internet costs for the next 8 months. It all added up to $5350.00, and I can use the rest throughout the year. Its great since the city here doesnt support temporary disability and I can not go through social assistance since I have school loans coming out.

I respect all of you who have gone through surgery and are going to...Im hoping that when I walk through the door at the hospital, I won't want to turn around. You guys are all so BRAVE!!!! For the past couple of weeks, since I have found these boards, I read everyones stories, questions and answers, and I will think of all you for the rest of my life, for all the help and support. Ive never met so many people who are so eager to be generous and help others who need the support.......

I will always keep you posted on how I am doing, and whether or not it was successful. Basically I'll be opening a new post, like a post op diary type of thing. So please, watch for my posts.

LOVE YOU ALL!!!!

Old 08-12-2004, 09:56 PM   #14
(female)

Love2cook HB User

Hayden,

I just wanted to say good luck to you and our prayers are with you. Having peace about your decision and feeling good about your plan is a great step. Stay positive all the way, if possible; it will make a world of difference!

God bless you and your son. I think it is great that you have friends who are so willing to step in and help you.... before and after your surgery.

Elaine

Old 08-13-2004, 03:01 AM   #15

Jenna'sMom HB User

Dear Hayden,
That's so great to hear your school will be so accomodating. I wish you a super successful surgery and an extra speedy recovery. Don't make the mistake I made and push yourself too hard right after surgery and end up with a setback. Remember "slow and steady wins the race." You're very brave to be taking all this on. Give yourself and your son a big hug from us and please do keep us posted

Warmly,
Jenna's Mom

APLIF T4-S1 on july 19, 2004
Harrington rod T5 - T12 1982

Closed Thread