It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2003, 05:43 PM   #1
Inactive

pdrq221 HB User
Post back ache near right shoulder blade?

for the past week I've had an annoying ache near my right shoulder blade. it usually feels like it's right inside the shoulder blade, in between it and the spine. it's not any gallbladder or liver problems I know, just back. does this sound like just a normal muscle strain or something? I don't think I've done anything that could have caused me to hurt my back though

thanks

Old 08-11-2003, 08:51 PM   #2

Anoldie HB User
I have had the same thing since June. I have tried everything - heat, ice etc. Have gone to the Dr. every two to three weeks because he has put me on Soma and a pain meds. I have no idea what I did to it, but seems like it gets better and then I pick up something or do something with my right arm and it starts all over again..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2003, 10:43 PM   #3
Inactive

pdrq221 HB User
hmm, did your doc make any suggestions on what it might be? or did he just give you a med and hope it goes away?

Old 08-11-2003, 10:46 PM   #4
(female)

littlelulu1937 HB User
Your problem might be a pain-causing knot or knots in your right Rhomboid Muscle. One way to defuse them is to roll a hard rubber ball very slowly vertically between your spine & your shoulder blade against a wall at least several times a day for about a minute over a period of several days. If trigger point knots, the area will feel quite "tender", but try to go as deep as possible with that ball for maximum affect. You can put the ball in a long sock slung over your shoulder for better control. A very simple massage, but frequently works.

Old 08-12-2003, 01:32 AM   #5
Inactive

pdrq221 HB User
Hmm ok thanks, that's what it seems like it is--something muscular and not skeletal or anything, and it hurts all the time no matter what I'm doing or not doing. but I don't have any rubber balls lying around, can I get one at a sporting goods store? or are there rubber balls specifically designed for that kind of thing??

[This message has been edited by pdrq221 (edited 08-12-2003).]

Old 08-12-2003, 08:22 AM   #6
(female)

littlelulu1937 HB User
You could use a tennis ball in a pinch, but I prefer the hard rubber ball of the same size. I think I may have gotten ours from a full line pet store (it'sactually the dogs'---but they weren't playing with it anywy). A la crosse ball is a possibility, so that could also come from a sporting goods store.

The 3 trigger points in that muscle are located in a corresponding line with the top, middle & bottom of the shoulder blade in the area between the spine & the shoulder blade. I think of trigger points as very tiny but extremely pain-causing interior "boils" in the muscles that have to be "lanced" by pressure to break the blockage to release the metabolic build-up so that blood can flow normally & oxygen can get into the area again. BTW, this can be true of any muscle or soft tissue pain in the body. You just have to know where years of research has shown the TPs tend to congregate.

Old 08-13-2003, 11:33 AM   #7
Inactive

pdrq221 HB User
ok well I've used the ball, and it provides temporary relief, but it keeps coming back the same as before. If it doesn't go away in another week or so, should I do anything else about it?? I've never heard of too many problems in that area of the back, but are there any things that could cause something this persistent/aching?

Old 08-13-2003, 01:10 PM   #8

SharonJ HB User
Hi there. As you can see from my signature, I do have a few issues with my neck. In addition, I have complete loss of the normal curvature of my neck, with some reversal. The area that you are describing is one of the areas where I frequently have lots of pain. When I have seen physical therapists and chiropractors they have worked that area as was described by someone else who responded here. I am not suggesting that you could have something serious going on, but it is within the realm of possibility. If you do not feel better within a few weeks, you may want to see a doctor for further evaluation. I would use the ball rolling massage technique, ice for 20 minutes every few hours, and perhaps a pillow that can give some support to your neck while you sleep. Stress also contributes sometimes to pain in this area, and you may want to consider some stress reduction like massage, yoga, meditation, etc. Best of luck, sure hope you feel better real soon! I can really relate to the pain you have and its not fun!

------------------
Each and everyday you have the opportunity to Choose Your Attitude. Choose wisely.
Grade 1 Spondylolisthesis for 26 years, recently progressed to Grade II
With marked canal and foraminal stenosis and severe compression of L5 Nerve root.
Scheduled for L5/S1 360 degree fusion on 9/8
DDD and bone spurs T11-S1
Herniated C3-C4
Disk/spur complex C4-C5
Significant bone spurs C5-C6
Can anyone say "just give me a whole new spine!"
With marked canal and foraminal stenosis and severe compression of L5 Nerve root.
360 degree L5/S1 fusion on September 8th with 6 screws and 2 rods. My pain is 99.9% gone...this is the best thing I've ever done!
DDD and bone spurs T11-S1
Herniated C3-C4
Disk/spur complex C4-C5
Significant bone spurs C5-C6. Told that my C-spine will not be helped by surgery.

Old 08-13-2003, 06:54 PM   #9
Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
pdrq221-
I belive we might be neighbors! And seems as though we're having the same pains. Mine is more a stabbing, burning, twisting pain, and is ALWAYS there. From what my doc says it's pretty bad muscle spasms, and we haven't been able to really trace them back to any particular event that caused them, and the trigger point tennis ball in a sock thing doesn't really provide any relief for me either. My pain like this started at the beginning of June, and hasn't let up since. It doesn't want to give me even a day of a break.. My doc put me on Percocets, Flexeril, and Tofranil (some kind of anti-depressant that is supposed to help the pain and help me sleep, although it hasn't worked for either yet)....I was also referred to Dr. Parks the pain management doc here in Wichita, KS.. You are in Wichita, KS aren't you? Well, if you have any questions for me, I'm usually on the Pain Management board and rarely check out whats going on here, but I will check back a few times just to make sure you get my message. Have a good night, and hope I've helped some...

[img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]
Crystal

P.S. I was told to ice it, but it seems to make the spasms worse, so I put heat on it usually and sometimes it helps

------------------
-21 year old chronic pain patient..
-Have a transitional vertebrae @ s1.
-adhesions from years of not knowing gallbladder was bad then had it removed, lots of abdominal pain now...
-Chronic severe migraines, and tension headaches... Taking Imitrex for migraines.. Working well...
-Lots of low back and mid back pain growing up.. Now having lots of knifelike shoulder pain between spine and shoulder blades..
-Pain overall between 7-9 everyday without meds.. But when meds are present, (and not wearing off) I'm between 4-7..
-Moderate case of TMJ
-Hypoglycemic
-Asthmatic
-Lots of throbbing pain in left knee and left arm from previous fractures..
-Meds I'm taking now : Percocet 7.5/500 every 4 hrs as need for pain, Flexeril 10mg 2x/day, Tofranil 20mg @ bedtime, Imitrex for migraines, Phenergan for nausea/vomitting, Albuterol for asthma... That's all I can think of for now..hehe...

[This message has been edited by HockeyCrystal (edited 08-13-2003).]

Old 08-13-2003, 09:59 PM   #10
(female)

littlelulu1937 HB User
Well how long & how often have you been using the "ball therapy??? You only asked me about it a day or so ago when you apparently didn't even have a ball. Read Clair Davis' book on trigger point therapy. I can't help you beyond that. Best Wishes!

Old 08-13-2003, 10:42 PM   #11
(female)

littlelulu1937 HB User
OK, I mentioned the tennis ball therapy for your shoulder blade pain because it's fairly simple to do, though still has to be done very frequently, very deeply & over a # of days or even weeks.

However, that being said, the actual VERY first place to look for "trigger points" which can send pain, numbness & other sensations to areas in the chest, upper back, shoulder, arm & hand are your Scalenes Muscles, which are a group of three & sometimes four small muscles on each side of the neck. This area requires a somewhat more sophisticated self-massage treatment than the tennis ball massage as these muscles are almost completely hidden by your Sternocleidomastoid Muscles. The Davies book will tell you how to locate & correctly massage these Scalenes Muscles; I couldn't explain it here.

Old 09-15-2003, 11:06 AM   #12

dolphin girl HB User
Talking

Aloha,

I am a massage therapist from Kona on the Big Island.
You have had some really good advice from the other posts, ie. Scalenes, Rhomboids, etc.

Could be so many things. You might try going to a very good Medical Massage Therapist in your area. Not just any massage therapist. Somebody who really knows the anatomy and trigger points and referral patterns.

Somebody who is willing to explore and really listen to your body and empower you with good information as to how to take care of your problem at home as well.

I wish you all the best. Let us know how it turns out.

Malama pono,

dolphin girl

Closed Thread