It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2003, 10:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Post Son w/mild scoliosis. Need info and advice, please

Hi. This is my first time to the back boards. My 14 yr old son was recently diagnosed with mild scoliosis. The doc wants him back for a check in 6 months. She just did a visual dx on him. He was really scared as was I. I really don't know much about this except what I have been searching on the net. Is there anything that can be done for him now to prevent the scoliosis drom getting worse? He's just got into the Air Force JROTC program at school and with all the gruling exercises, I don't want him to make it worse. But I do want him to be able to stengthen himself up so that maybe this won't get worse. Can you tell me anything about your experience with scoliosis and things that can be done to help him? He's complaining of a shoulder hurting and hads been complaining of this for a couple of years now. I don't know if that would have anything to do with the back or not. THanks very much for anything you can throw at me.
Barb

------------------
"Life, for all its agonies...is exciting and beautiful, amusing and artful and endearing... and whatever is to come after it-we shall not have this life again."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2003, 07:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Please, anything you can share with me. I want to help my son maybe prevent some of the agony that goes with this as he gets older.
Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2003, 07:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User
Smile

Hello Barb,

Welcome to the back boards. Scoliosis generally shows up between ages 10 and 14 in children with a family history. However, not every child whose parents have Scoliosis, or who carries the gene, gets the disease. The good news about Scoliosis is that its very rare and often needs little management. Only five in 1,000 kids have a spinal deformity and of those, only one in a thousand needs a brace and one in 4,000 needs an operation.

Some of the signs of scholiasts include a curvature of the spine, an elevated shoulder or a protruding shoulder blade. There are three basic types of treatments for Scoliosis: (1) observation, (2) orthopedic bracing,or (3) surgery. One very important thing to take into consideration is Spinal maturity, which is if the patient's spine still growing and changing?
Their is a possibility that your son may out grow this as my daughter did. They had found Scoliosis with my daughter at age 12. Her treatment was observation. She did see ortho's and had x-rays for a couple of years. At the age 15 she no longer had Scoliosis with confirmed x-ray reports. The doctor's had explained to me that she had gone through a growth spurt. That was the cause of her Scoliosis. I was so relieved that she would not have to suffer. She is now age 19 today and has developed back pain again. I think this may be caused from the lifting at her employment.

As for your son's shoulder pain have you discussed this with your doctor? He may have noticed the shoulders at different heights while diagnosing him. This could be the cause of his shoulder pain. I would discuss this with your doctor as he may prescribe medicine or therapy to help alleviate his pain. Also be very aware that even carrying his school bag can be causing him more pain of the shoulders.
You must be very proud of your son in his decision to join the Air Force JROTC program at school. I really hope that he is as lucky as my daughter was.

Take Care.

------------------
Lumbar MRI 10/02
Lumbar Lordosis
L5-S1 disc herniation with moderate thecal sac deformity.
L4-5 disc desiccation with bulge which results in mild thecal sac deformity and mild bilateral foraminal stenosis.
L2-3 disc desiccation with Schmorl’s nodule of L3.
Lumbar Epidural 1/30/03
Lumbar Epidural 2/12/03
Lumbar Epidural 2/26/03
Lumbar Discogram 5/23/03
Lumbar CatScan 5/23/03
[b]Posterior Fusion & Infuse on L4,L5,S1 6/30/03[/b]
Cervical MRI 10/02
Loss of cervical lordosis with reversal of the curvature.
C4-5 and C6-7 disc bulges resulting in flattening of the ventral margin of the cord.
C5-6 there is a left foraminal herniation which results in moderate foraminal stenosis In addition, there is flattening of the ventral margin of the cord due to bulging disc.
Cervical Epidural 5/19/03

Old 09-15-2003, 04:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tomorrow,
Thank you so sooo much for answering my questions and relieving my worries! I can't tell you what a relief it is to see those statistics you told me about! But I'm sure you know the relief. My son did have an x-ray of his shoulder. It showed nothing. He has been having these pains on and off for about 1 1/2 yrs, even in the summer when he's not wearing his book bag. But the book bag doesn't help it, I'm sure.
I see that I have some of the same type of ailments as you. My c-spine is the problem. MRI last year showed c1-2, c2-3, and c3-4 discs were mildly bulging and c5-6 was herniated into the left neural foramen. My doctor said it was nothing to worry about even though I have numbness and tingling in both hands and, to some extent, all fingers. I'm now having problems with my lower back. A couple of times, I got a pain in my lower back and wasn't able to get out of bed for several days. I even was at the emergency room once with pain so bad I couldn't move. My doc wouldn't let anyone do any tests (I, unfortunately, have HMO). I'm changing that at the end of the year!
Thanks again for your response. It really has put my mind at ease.
Barb

------------------
"Life, for all its agonies...is exciting and beautiful, amusing and artful and endearing... and whatever is to come after it-we shall not have this life again."

Old 09-16-2003, 05:01 AM   #5

samilam HB User
I was diagnosed with scoliosis a few years ago. I recently went to a new doctor and she did her own set of x-rays. Mine was a mild curve too but Im 30 So I thought I was stuck with is. Anyways , IT was gone, no curve no nutin. I asked her what happend to my curve, not that I wanted it, but where did it go. and she said "many times it will resolve itself, or it was misdiagnosed in the first place". Hold out on the panic untill you get to a good ortho doctor who will run a good set of x-rays.
Sam

Old 09-16-2003, 05:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks so much for your replies. I never knew it could correct itself. I'm exteremly relieved!
Barb

Old 09-17-2003, 07:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User
Smile

Hello Barb,

Have you taken your son to an orthopedic or neurologist for the Scoliosis and shoulder pain? As I told you I would not worry to badly about the Scoliosis but I would still have it checked by an ortho every six months. As for his shoulder pain, x-rays do not show everything. Usually, a doctor needs some sort of history of pain before ordering an MRI or cat scan. Of course they order them immediately when an injury occurs. My husband suffered with so much shoulder pain for almost two years. He finally seen a neurologist that ordered and MRI and then EMG. They found that he has tendonitis. His does takes meds for it. I am not saying that is what your son has, just suggesting that maybe further testing could be needed. I really hate to see children suffer with pain.

I am sorry to hear that you also suffer with cervical and back pain. Looks as if we have the same hernaited disc. Are any of your cervical problems do to a neck injury? Mine originated when I dove into my in-ground pool. I slammed my head on the bottom. That was well over 10 year ago. I have suffered with chronic neck pain, shoulder, and arm pain from it. I tend to drop things quiet often. Do you have any of these symptoms? I am very surprised that your doctor did not offer any kind of treatment for you...As for him not letting testing be completed when you were in the emergency room, that is horrible. I would definitely stop going to him. He is probably one of those doctor's that wants his kick back from your insurance company at the end of the year. I had one like that and I switched when I realized what she was doing. Now she will get nothing from my insurance company. That is also why insurance companies do not mind when you switch primary's. You usually just have to give them notice. I really hope that you are able to find a doctor that can help you as I can relate to your pain and suffering. I suffered for so long because I did not have health insurance.

Good Luck To You.

The following user gives a hug of support to MarianJ:
lisnavarro (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
(female)

lisnavarro HB User
Re: Son w/mild scoliosis. Need info and advice, please

[QUOTE=LuvMyLilDoggie;114813]Hi. This is my first time to the back boards. My 14 yr old son was recently diagnosed with mild scoliosis. The doc wants him back for a check in 6 months. She just did a visual dx on him. He was really scared as was I. I really don't know much about this except what I have been searching on the net. Is there anything that can be done for him now to prevent the scoliosis drom getting worse? He's just got into the Air Force JROTC program at school and with all the gruling exercises, I don't want him to make it worse. But I do want him to be able to stengthen himself up so that maybe this won't get worse. Can you tell me anything about your experience with scoliosis and things that can be done to help him? He's complaining of a shoulder hurting and hads been complaining of this for a couple of years now. I don't know if that would have anything to do with the back or not. THanks very much for anything you can throw at me.
Barb

------------------
"Life, for all its agonies...is exciting and beautiful, amusing and artful and endearing... and whatever is to come after it-we shall not have this life again."[/QUOTE]

---
My daughter has 62 degrees scoliosis and underwent surgery last December. Your son can get injured for joining the JRTOC. He needs braces for a few years. If the curvature is below 40 degrees all he need is braces. Watch out it is not comfortable. When I mentioned a possibility of injury is a serious one. Could cause him to be in a wheelchair. Until his curvature is corrected, he must not engage in a strenuous exercise. Or he could continue JROTC but you have to speak to the C/O to give him a leeway until the problem is corrected. Anyway, he couldn't do PE neither. I have seen the agony and suffering of my daughter's surgery. Although is still recovering and it's been 6 months now, she is still weak and cannot do PE. It takes a year or more to recover. If your son does not get a brace, it can get worse and the curve can go up to a higher number. Do not ignore this and be persistent in talking to your doctor.
The brace will not be comfortable but will correct the problem.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Son w/mild scoliosis. Need info and advice, please

It's important to know the degree of scoliosis. Then talk to the doctor about treatment options. Sometimes if the degree is slight they will see if it straightens as he grows. It sometimes does improve as the child gets older but sometimes some bracing can be used for some assistance. Not like the old days when people with scoliosis were in big metal contraptions, today's braces are more custom made and less bulky.

Closed Thread