It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2003, 03:38 AM   #1

hopechristine HB User
Unhappy Bruised Sciatic Nerve

Hello everyone! I am a new member in desperate need of any help that you can give me. Seven months ago I fell off a dumpster (yes a construction dumpster!), eight feet down, and landed on my back. Lost consciousness for a few seconds. My lower back swelled up and had a horrific bruise. Have gone through the mill with 2 doctors, tests etc (MRI's, EMG's, Xrays etc.)
All that said, I am told that I have a badly bruised sciatic nerve with no nerve damage. Apparently my pelvic bone compressed the sciatic nerve underneath. Am taking 600mg of Neurontin 4x per day - makes life tolerable, but the pain can become excruciating at times.
Have been told that there is nothing that can be done - it may heal on it's own, or I may live with this pain for the rest of my life. I do not want to stay on this medication (makes me feel weird).
Has this happened to anyone? Will it heal on it's own? I find it hard to accept that I will be like this forever. Has anyone had a fall from a height like this? Please help....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2006, 05:38 PM   #2

jbess1002 HB User
Re: Bruised Sciatic Nerve

re: sciatic nerve question. Asking for information

Last edited by jbess1002; 02-13-2006 at 05:46 PM. Reason: incorrectly used the quote. Need to remove this under my name.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2006, 05:44 PM   #3

jbess1002 HB User

Have you been able to rid yourself of pain from this condition? I have problems with this condition but have never known any cure.

Old 02-13-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

I tried to find some information on a bruised sciatic nerve, but was unsuccessful. I simply am at a loss to advise you though common sense says if it is bruised, time should take care of it, especially if you do nothing to irritate it further. I wish I could be of more help to you. I can suggest that you ice the area you landed on in hopes of quieting the nerve.

Good luck.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 05-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
(female)

egul105 HB User

I'm not sure how old this post is but I'll tell you what I know. I received a bruised sciatic nerve two months ago from a very rough massage. I had excrutiating sciatic pain the first couple of days with numbness in my foot. It has gotten way better, but I still have tenderness in the glute and numbness and weakness in my foot. Been on anti inflammatories for two months and had two IM injections of steroids. Saw a neurologist today and he indicated it could take anywhere up to a year to completely heal, assuming no permanent damage. I am scheduled for an MRI and EMG to confirm and assess the damage. Been told everything you have probably, ice, heat, stretches, etc.

Closed Thread