It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2004, 10:58 PM   #1

nina74 HB User
Spondylolisthesis grade 4

Hi everyone. I have had lower back pain as long as I can remember. I learned that I had a grade 3 spondy when I was 16. Now at 30 it has slipped to a grade 4. I have seen a OS and they have strongly suggested surgery which scares me to death. It sounds so complex, 10 to 12 hours in surgery. Three months off work! Has anyone actually had surgery for this? I'm just wondering what to expect if I decide to go through with it.

Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2004, 06:14 AM   #2

Josephine66 HB User
Re: Spondylolisthesis grade 4

I have had this surgery. I,too, have had this spondy since I was a teen. I won't kid you, the surgery is no picnic. I was in a back brace for 9 months and it took a full year to recover. I still have pain sometimes. Only you can decide if it is worth the price to have the surgery. Some people do well and recover in 3 months but I think a more reasonable time period is 6 months, especially for the lower back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2004, 07:46 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

scotty12 HB User

if it is grade 4 then surgery is warrented.you may be risking perm. damage if you wait.i have grade 2 slippage.i certainly understand your concern about the surgery.find the best surgeon you can find.

Old 08-06-2004, 09:59 AM   #4
(female)

BobiM HB User

[QUOTE=nina74]Hi everyone. I have had lower back pain as long as I can remember. I learned that I had a grade 3 spondy when I was 16. Now at 30 it has slipped to a grade 4. I have seen a OS and they have strongly suggested surgery which scares me to death. It sounds so complex, 10 to 12 hours in surgery. Three months off work! Has anyone actually had surgery for this? I'm just wondering what to expect if I decide to go through with it.

Thanks!!

[/QUOTE]

A Grade IV is a pretty significant slippage. My son is looking at surgery next month for a Borderline Grade III. Since the surgery for you is 10-12 hours, they are probably going to correct it before fusing it. I'm very nervous about my son's as well. He got one opinions and is scheduled to get 3 more just to make sure he's doing the right thing and getting the right surgeon.

Bobi

Old 08-06-2004, 12:07 PM   #5

nina74 HB User

[QUOTE=Josephine66]I have had this surgery. I,too, have had this spondy since I was a teen. I won't kid you, the surgery is no picnic. I was in a back brace for 9 months and it took a full year to recover. I still have pain sometimes. Only you can decide if it is worth the price to have the surgery. Some people do well and recover in 3 months but I think a more reasonable time period is 6 months, especially for the lower back.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for responding to my message. Everyone keeps telling me that only I can decide if I need to do the surgery. But that is what is so hard because you don't know what the outcome will be. At this point I look / walk completely normal but I have constant excruciating pain/burning/pins and needles down my left side. They've prescribed me an anti-inflammatory but it doesn't really do much. I have a 1 1/2 yr old and a 4 year old so that is what is making this decision so hard. I was just wondering what to expect afterwards if I do it. I have an appt with a neurosurgeon next week for a
2nd opinion.

Old 08-06-2004, 12:11 PM   #6

nina74 HB User

Good luck with your future appointments. It's hard when your trying to decide on surgeons. It's like how do you really know who's the best? Especially when it's not a very common surgery.

Old 08-06-2004, 06:11 PM   #7

Josephine66 HB User

When I had my fusion surgery my children were 7-11 years old and I could have used more help than I got. If you do have surgery I would consider getting cleaning help and maybe hiring a Mother's helper to come in the late afternoon. You will need help caring for the house and children. Try now to teach the 1 1/2 year old to climb. Like if he/she still needs a diaper put some type of step stool so he/she can climb up on the changing table. We also spent a lot of time reading aloud in bed so that I could lay down and rest. Use paper plates,cups etc. It is difficult to recover when taking care of young children! You want so much to care for them and tend to overdo.

Closed Thread