It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2004, 05:41 AM   #1

Jenna'sMom HB User
Unhappy ahoh, I think I just reinjured at 2.5 weeks post op

I am 2 and a half weeks post op from APLIF L4 - S1, cadaever bone disc spacers and 6 screws, 2 rods.

I've been doing great with my walking the last 2 weeks, although still in overall achy pain, but the walking didn't bother me it actually felt pretty good.

Please excuse how long this is, it's half a vent and half seeking advice.

Monday I had to call the dr.'s office for a refill of Norco and asked if there was anything stronger as it was really just putting a small dent in the pain and I had to take it every 3 hours as oppossed to the every 4 to 6 hours recommended. The doctors nurse (male) spoke with me and said the doctor didn't want to increase my pain meds, that I should walk more to increase my endurance which, in turn would lessen the pain. I told him I've worked my way up to walking 4 to 6 blocks twice a day. And that is full all the way around the block, blocks. My husband took me out on Tuesday to get a pedometer to see how much I was walking in terms of miles. I turns out about 1 mile a day.

So, Wednesday, in addition to a ride in the car to take the cat to the vet's with my husband (he drove) Ė I walked a total of 1.25 miles and felt tired but okay. Thursday I did my morning walk in which I walk my daughter to camp and back (.5 miles) and then got in bed to rest. At 1:00 pm I went out for another walk, got 2 blocks, started to feel stabby pain on the right side where sacrum and ilia come together(this is where my pre-surgical pain was) and thought, oh better head home now. By the time I got home I could barely walk. Got into bed and called the doctor's office. This time I talked to his surgical assistant. He told me I'd been walking way too much. I should be taking it easier, and, that I shouldn't worry about backing off the meds for another week and a half. He said take more short walks, maybe 1 block.

Well this morning I still can barely walk, and the thought of making it even down to the corner is mind boggling. I have to hobble/limp just to get to the kitchen. I plan to call the doctors office again today, it's only 5:30 am right now, but I can't sleep. I am terrified that I really did something to screw up the hardware or something. Has anyone done this too? Did it get better with a few days of rest? I'm supposed to go back to work in 3 weeks. I feel so stupid for pushing myself, but I thought I was doing great. (Carl, not one I told you so!)

Anyway, would appreciate any advice or moral support, please no nagging.

Thanks,
Julie

APLIF T4-S1 on july 19, 2004
Harrington rod T5 - T12 1982

Last edited by Jenna'sMom; 08-06-2004 at 06:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2004, 05:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User
Re: ahoh, I think I just reinjured at 2.5 weeks post op

Hi Julie,
I know how scary that must be, although I haven't had the one level fusion just yet, I've had my fair share of problems and surgeries.

I don't think by walking you would have done anything to the hardware. This is something that you have done since right after your surgery and it is recommended. When I first read the heading of your post, I thought you must have lifted something or twisted wrong. You can't remember doing anything like that can you? That is always a setback and very scary. When I had my lamy/discectomy last summer, I was walking everyday. My doctor told me I could ride a stationary bike also and I got on it and rode only 60 seconds, steady. The next day, I could not move. I was in bed for about 3 days. It was horrible. I really ****** those nerves off. My back was swollen, etc. I thought I screwed myself all up.
I really think you just over did it. Like I said, you didn't lift or twist and was just walking a straight line. You know how they always tell you, never over do it, well this is why. It is depressing and excruciating but I think your gonna be okay.
Hang in there Julie!!
I hope your pain subsides soon!!!!!
Christina

Old 08-06-2004, 05:59 AM   #3

Jenna'sMom HB User

Mistina,
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Nope didn't lift anything heavier than my walkman. I did twist just a little in bed right before the walk to answer the phone, but felt nothing when i did. Well, I guess I just lay around like a princess for a few days.

thanks.

Old 08-06-2004, 06:47 AM   #4
(female)

Love2cook HB User

Good Morning Julie!

Sorry to hear this. I feel for you. It's an all too familiar story for me, but at least I had myself to blame and I was fully aware of what I did to make myself hurt. For you, you did nothing. I really think this is just a sign of needing to rest more. I know I felt great at 2.5 wks then had my little setback. Well, it wasn't little, I was in bad shape. But now at 5 wks, I am better again and hope to not have that happen. If you can't remember doing anything that would cause this I really think you just need to lay around like a princess for a few days. Please take it easy.

Thinking of you!

Keep us posted,
Elaine

Old 08-06-2004, 11:01 AM   #5

Jenna'sMom HB User

Thanks Elaine,
I just got up for a second to get something to eat. am heading back to bed, maybe will write more later. So much for superwoman huh?

later,
Julie

Old 08-06-2004, 02:38 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Haw'nCarl HB User

Aloha Jenna'sMom,

Come on Julie, don't be so hard on yourself. You are not even three weeks post op from a two level fusion. This is a lot for your body to recover from. I wouldn't worry about screwing up your hardware from just walking though. But I know how you must feel, I too was worried that my PT screwed up my hardware when he tried to make some adjustments to my hip while only 16 weeks post-op. I was terrified that he had done something irreparable and was a nervous wreck until I had a chance to see my surgeon who immediately ordered some x-rays (my surgeon was beside himself). It all turned out ok, even though they were concerned (my case mgr and surgeon) they were all along assuring me that it would take an incredible act to damage my hardware and thank God, this was not an incredible act, although it did set me back about two months. I am just now getting back to the point of recovery, which I was at prior to this happening on 6/11. Itís the peaks and valley syndrome, and believe you me, I am the king of peaks and valleys (as of late mostly valleys). But I can say the last couple of days have been exceptionally good, I hope I continue feeling this good. I also think you may have over done it in the walking area, and I hope it is just a minor set back. It may be time for your PM doctor to reassess your meds and maybe try something new if the Narco is not working for you. Again, seriously, unless you were doing cartwheels, I wouldnít worry too much that youíve screwed up your hardware. Itís one of the hardest things we have to stop ourselves from doing, and that is taking it easy when we do have those days that we feel great. I am going to keep all of my fingers and toes crossed until I hear that all is well when you return from your doctorís ([I]except for my second and third toe on my right foot, because they are webbed and I canít cross them, but all of the others will be crossed[/I]) so feel better soon and take it easy, I donít want to post Mr. nono again.

Carl

Old 08-06-2004, 03:06 PM   #7
(female)

Love2cook HB User

Superwoman

Hope you're doing better. Glad to hear you're resting today.

We went to an animal park about 45 minutes from our house today. Walked a lot, but had fun. Time for me to lay down to rest while "Mr. Mom" gets dinner going

Keep me posted!

Elaine

Last edited by Love2cook; 08-06-2004 at 04:57 PM.

Old 08-07-2004, 12:22 PM   #8

Jenna'sMom HB User

Dear Elaine and Carl,
It's Saturday afternoon and I'm finally feeling a little better. Doesn't hurt as much when I walk, but still don't feel like I can even walk around the block, so I won't!
I'm going to continue the bedrest and see what Monday morning brings. Decided not to call the doctor again on Friday, to rest and see how I felt Monday.

Elaine,
Is the matress feeling good yet? You cooking for friends again this weekend?

Carl,
I'm really glad to hear you're feeling better! Hope it continues uphill from here. The idea of me doing cartwheels makes me LOL, god if only I could someday. Thanks for the laugh, should I call you ducky?

Okay, the princess is heading back to bed.

Take care,
Julie

Last edited by Jenna'sMom; 08-07-2004 at 01:55 PM.

Old 08-07-2004, 12:59 PM   #9
(female)

Love2cook HB User

Princess Julie-

Well, the mattress is getting better. I think every night is getting a little easier. I believe I am working through my "adjustment period". It's very comfortable, just different.

We went to that animal park yesterday and I'm pretty wore out today. Not doing too much. No cooking for friends this weekend. I think I'll be doing good to muster up the energy to feed my own family.

I'm so glad to hear you're doing better. I've been thinking about you. I really do know the feeling of having a setback. I still feel like I'm coming out of mine. I probably am back on track to where I should be now at 5 wks post op. But the dull, achiness does get annoying. That first hour after getting out of bed in the morning seems to be the hardest. But once I get up moving around and loosen up those tight muscles it gets better. I realized I may never be pain free, I just have to keep reminding myself how much better I am now than before. I can see how people have bouts of depression though. Not that I'm depressed, but the (as Carl put it) peaks and valleys can get to you.

I know how important a positive attitude is... so heres to great days ahead

Blessings and take care,
Elaine

Old 08-08-2004, 12:05 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Haw'nCarl HB User

Aloha all,

Quack! Quack!

I just wanted to sigh and say what a wonderful distraction from pain your children must be, albeit for a few moments, but a pleasant distraction nonetheless. Sadly this is one distraction I will never experience, except through my backboard buddies. You mothers and fathers really give me strength and I enjoy reading about all of the little daily pleasures you guys post about being parents, keep it up.

Carl

Old 08-08-2004, 06:07 PM   #11
(female)

Love2cook HB User

Carl,

Yes, my kids are a great distraction! They keep me from feeling too sorry for myself
Even though I'm not really that type, but on those bad days... I do feel for you, not being able to experience the joy of children. I can't imagine my life without them.

And I also agree with Julie who, in a different thread, stated that this board would not be the same without you. AMEN! I look forward to reading your posts to people b/c I am usually left smiling, cracking up or doubling over with laughter. That's one, of the many, things that keep me coming back here to "visit". Thanks for your humor. We all need it.

Keep it comin'

Elaine

Old 08-08-2004, 10:07 PM   #12

Jenna'sMom HB User

Carl,
I second what Elaine said. You've carved out a very special little place in my heart.

Julie

Old 08-09-2004, 06:12 AM   #13
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

I third that Carl LOLOL!!
Julie, I'm so glad to read that you're feeling better and are taking it easy!!! Sometimes we just have to listen to our bodies and take things easy, no matter how frustrating that can be LOL!!
I agree that this was only your body telling you to slow down, and nothing too serious!! Continued successful healing my friend!! Take care!

Closed Thread