It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2004, 11:43 AM   #1
(female)

dust HB User
skin numbness from waist to toes anyone??

Hello,
do any of you sciatic and DDD and Stnosis etc,, suffers have a constant , persistant numbness in the SKIN only of the side of which you are affected most with the back disorder?
The numbness I have varies with intensity depending upon my activity, but never actually goes completely away.
When I first went to docs about this, all they heard was "suddenly went numb" ,, they did not hear my Hx with back probs, therefore some of them were trying to give me a DX of MS or some other demyelinating disease.
My ANA and SED RATE( ESR) and RA latex were all neg.
Since I have been housebound and basically non-mobile after my foot surgery, the back pain has almost diminished,, I still have a little skin numbness from the waist to toes ,,,,
another doc seems to believe I have issues in the Thorasic spine as well and this would explain the numbness in the higher region of my back.
This back stuff is really a "crap shoot " any way ya look at it.
AND the bad part is that soooo many non sufferers believe that it is a LOT of 'put on" to get out of doing things-- only because one day I may seem pretty darn 'normal ' and pain free,,,, and the next , I have a difficult time doing ANYTHING,, even bathing.
I keep telling husband I would GLADLY trade my back for his carpal tunnel,, as he moans about how it keeps him awake and bothers his GOLF GAME!!! and that is after a surgery on one hand--- more whining becuz he is not "rehabbing" strong and quickly!!
BOy ,, he does NOT know how lucky he is!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2004, 11:29 PM   #2
(female)

mink HB User
Re: skin numbness from waist to toes anyone??

[QUOTE=dust]Hello,
do any of you sciatic and DDD and Stnosis etc,, suffers have a constant , persistant numbness in the SKIN only of the side of which you are affected most with the back disorder?
The numbness I have varies with intensity depending upon my activity, but never actually goes completely away.
When I first went to docs about this, all they heard was "suddenly went numb" ,, they did not hear my Hx with back probs, therefore some of them were trying to give me a DX of MS or some other demyelinating disease.
My ANA and SED RATE( ESR) and RA latex were all neg.
Since I have been housebound and basically non-mobile after my foot surgery, the back pain has almost diminished,, I still have a little skin numbness from the waist to toes ,,,,
another doc seems to believe I have issues in the Thorasic spine as well and this would explain the numbness in the higher region of my back.
This back stuff is really a "crap shoot " any way ya look at it.
AND the bad part is that soooo many non sufferers believe that it is a LOT of 'put on" to get out of doing things-- only because one day I may seem pretty darn 'normal ' and pain free,,,, and the next , I have a difficult time doing ANYTHING,, even bathing.
I keep telling husband I would GLADLY trade my back for his carpal tunnel,, as he moans about how it keeps him awake and bothers his GOLF GAME!!! and that is after a surgery on one hand--- more whining becuz he is not "rehabbing" strong and quickly!!
BOy ,, he does NOT know how lucky he is!! [/QUOTE]

Old 09-05-2004, 11:38 PM   #3
(female)

mink HB User

Dear Dust, I too am numb from waist to toes, had C5-C6 disc removed with Bone graft 2 years ago. Also have sensory problems such as hot- cold, crawly feelings in legs, dont know if you read my 1st post but I have a few other problems as well. Too long to go into detail. Am going to pain management clinic every month, am on Oxycocet an Gabapentin which does not take away the pain in my hands an arms an does nothing for numbess an gaited walk. Take care . Mink

Old 09-06-2004, 03:48 AM   #4
(female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User

Yes, have numbness down entire right leg, with pain sometimes all the way to toe, especially right above knee. Due to disc L4/L5 rupturing and compressing nerve. Hoping numbness will go away eventually as nerve heals from surgery on 7/1 to remove that fragment off nerve. Doc said these nerve things can take months to heal. Don't know if yours is same thing. Feels weird, huh? It's hard to describe. Mine is not quite like rubber. Not really a deep numbness. I want my husband to poke my foot with a needle to see how bad it is. I keep poking at my thigh. Some days, there's little pain, then I'll get two days of bad pain making it hard to walk. but in my case pain is good meaning the nerve is coming back as I understand. Still, it's hard to take, month after month. And yes, it's hard to get others to understand why you can't do things only some times, especially when you don't know yourself. At least I know why and can explain it to people. Still, they say, "Well, but you are healing still. You'll be fine later." I hope so. It's 3:30 in the morning and I'm up with pain - again. Thank heavens for percocet. Good luck. the numbness I can take, but the pain is not. Also, mine progressed to drop foot - in fact, I couldn't use my right leg much at all - too weak. I had to drag that leg. But all of it started with that weird numbness for months before. Weakness is bad. If it goes weak, get to doctor. If you can't lift toes or foot, see doc immediately.

Old 09-07-2004, 04:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Mink, have you been formally Dxd with brown-sequard syndrome?i am certain that is what you have,as I have it as well.Mine was caused by spinal cord surgery.it is really hard to explain to people and try to get them to understand that you cannot feel hot or cold,or that they feel reversed most of the time.That you can feel even light touch in certain areas but if you take a pin and jab it into your skin,you feel the sensation but not he pain.It is actually caused by damage to the thalamic tract inside the spinal cord.I also have some rather significant spasticity problems in my legs as well.The area affected by the BS syndrome for me is my r side from just under the R breast and on down through the bottom of my R foot.I also have central pain syndrome caused by the thalamic tract damage,but that is in my L arm and up through the armpit and over both shoulder blades.my isn't that fun.Marcia

Old 09-15-2004, 11:15 PM   #6
(female)

mink HB User

Hi Marcia
thanks for replying as for the Brown-Sequard Syndrome you mentioned I have no idea what that is, but I will look it up, I constantly burn myself an do not know it until later, like in the bath(which drives me crazy ) an the burn bubbles up an breaks then I have to think back as to how I could have burned myself, I get bruises have know idea what I may have bumped into, if there is a breeze outside I have to come in house cause I cannot stand the breeze on my legs, all this is so confusing. And no one seems to understand when I tell them, so I dont anymore. The only thing that has gotten better since surgery, is I dont have the shooting pains in my legs, all the rest is the same. I think the damage happened while I was waiting for an MRI, Im sure if the disc would not have broken had they gotten the MRI done sooner. Well enough whining for now. Thanks an take care! Mink

Closed Thread