It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2004, 01:16 PM   #1

onthegomom HB User
New to board, L5 S1 Laminotomy,? inside scarring

Hi everybody!

Boy this site is great! I've never posted to a site before so please be patient with me Its been 10 days since my operation and besides walking, what can I do to prevent inside scarring from happening? Do ice packs help? And how much walking? All my Dr. said was lots and lots. I need a measurable amount. I have 4 kids from 13 to 2 years in age I'm always getting up and out of bed, so I'm still taking pain meds. Hubby tries to help when he's home and his mom is bringing in dinners and helping with laundry, but I don't feel like I get to rest. Sorry now I'm sounding sorry for myself when all I wanted was to make sure I don't end up with too much internal scarring. Any helful hints would be appreciated.

Thanks a Bunch
Overwhelmed Mom

Old 08-06-2004, 03:43 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
Re: New to board, L5 S1 Laminotomy,? inside scarring

Hi Welcome to the board......

You will find many helpful, supportive people on here......I cant speak from experience because my Neurologist hasnt sent me for any Physical Therapy... but thats what alot of people on this board have said will help keep down on the scar tissue developing....But my Neurologist did put me on a walking schedule, he had me walking 1 mile 1/2 twice a day....but I have developed pain again, and cant walk even a block without starting to hurt and have burning pain etc....but I just know thats how much walking he told me to do.... but be sure not to over do it because your body will definately let you know.. but once again... alot of people on this board have said Physical Therapy is good to help minimize scar tissue...... Best of luck to you...

April

Last edited by TexasWildRose04; 08-06-2004 at 03:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2004, 05:08 PM   #3

brekka HB User

Hi onthego :P I'm pretty new to the board also I had a microdiscectomy 2 times not quite a year ago on L5S1 walk walk walk :P the worst thing you can do is bend and twist they also told me not to lift anything more than a gallon of milk until the doc ok'd more weight PT is fabulous!!! that will help alot Oh the other thing they told me to prevent re-injury or scarring was to stay as straight as possible that is hips and shoulders move together i think this was the most important part i learned i wish you a speedy recovery and be careful with all those lil ones :P

Old 08-06-2004, 05:14 PM   #4
(female)

Love2cook HB User

Hi Onthegomom and Overwhelmed Mom-

I too have four children. Mine are ages 6, 4, 3 and 1.5 - all boys. I am 5 wks post op an Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion L4-L5. I know the feeling of not being able to rest and also know the "still taking pain meds". I'm there with you. I still take Vicodin once or twice a day. I was feeling very guilty about this. My husband is against me taking the pain meds b/c he feels that it numbs (or reduces) the pain and therefore I feel better and then tend to do things I wouldn't do if I felt more of the pain. Although I believe this and agree with it somewhat, I still take them b/c I still have pain. And as odd as it may sound, I have things to do and children to take care of. My husband helps a lot too, with the kids, laundry, housework... etc. But he also has to be at work 40 hours a week. Try to not overdo things. I had a setback at 2.5 wks because I did something I knew darn well that I wasn't supposed to do. This set me back about 2 weeks of recovery. I am just now, at 5 weeks, healing from that "re-injury".

Applying ice does help a lot with pain for me. Although heat feels better at the time, ice tends to really help with pain afterwards. And when it comes to walking, my dr said 10 minute walks up to 6 times a day. Now mind you, these are just short little walks down your street and back. My house has a "circle" on the main floor and I walk that a lot too.

Please do be careful. For some reason I've heard of many people having some sort of setback at around 2 weeks. I'm not sure if this is a really crucial time in healing or what. But for me it was the "I'm feeling so much better, I think I'll just go back to doing a few of those things I could do before surgery...". Thinking I was supermom or something. My body informed me differently. Do rest as much as possible. It's important for your body to heal. I know it's hard with children. Hopefully your older ones can pitch in and do many of the things you usually do.

Keep us informed on how you're doing.

God bless,
Elaine

Old 08-06-2004, 05:17 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Haw'nCarl HB User

Aloha and welcome onthegomom,

I would like to welcome you to our humble abode. You will enjoy the company and support (and my occasional rants).

As TexasWildRose pointed out, physical therapy is good and I am sure you will be with a therapist soon, and I agree that walking is good but as far as a measurable number for you, you really have to listen to your doctor and your body. If he or she is telling you lots and lots, I would imagine that means letting your body tell you if you are walking enough or too much. At 10 days, I wouldn't think you would want to do too much more than a couple of blocks at a time, your body will let you know. I am up to about 3 miles a day.

My PT has always told me that rubbing on and around your incision helps prevent scar tissue from building, she told me to rub it as hard as is comfortable 2 or 3 times a day. But if your incision hasn't healed completely yet, you'll want to be careful with that. Ice is good for numbing your pain, and heat is good when you want to loosen and warm up your muscles before doing any stretching or strengthening exercises, your PT will help you with this, and again, I would expect your doctor to prescribe PT at about your 1-month mark.

Good Luck with your recovery, and until I read more of your posts and let you get comfortable, I will take it easy on you.

Carl

Last edited by Haw'nCarl; 08-06-2004 at 05:22 PM.

Old 08-06-2004, 05:38 PM   #6
(female)

Love2cook HB User

Carl-

How kind of you to take it easy on her. How'd she get so lucky? (Just kidding!)

Elaine

Old 08-06-2004, 06:47 PM   #7

Jenna'sMom HB User

On the go,
Welcome, As all have said, you've come to the right place.
Elaine and Carl are sooo right. I'm 2.5 weeks postop from APLIF L4-S1, and somehow I way overdid it with my walking and am now in bed all day, except for the occasional hobble to the kitchen, bathroom and the computer. My doctor too told me to walk lots and lots. So I took 2 longs walks a day, I was up to 1.25 miles on Wednesday. BIG MISTAKE. Take more short walks. Like just around the block, even if you feel you can go further. Then rest. Like Elaine, I'm also a mom, with just one, and it's hard not to overdo it with the kids.

Scar tissue is not something I'm familiar with at all, but sounds like others have given you feedback on that.

Above all, take it easy on yourself and don't try to recover too fast. We're all here if you need us.

Julie

p.s. Carl, you did show so much self restraint. You know we're teasing you with lots of affection i hope

APLIF T4-S1 on july 19, 2004
Harrington rod T5 - T12 1982

Old 08-06-2004, 06:49 PM   #8

onthegomom HB User
Cool Re: New to board, L5 S1 Laminotomy,? inside scarring

WOW! Thank for all the encouragement. It makes me want to walk, walk, walk and keep on walking. I haven't talked to PT since before surgery and that didn't help much, but maybe in a few weeks after I see my Dr. again it may be a possiblity.

School for three of my kids starts next week that will be a blessing in itself. Maybe I'll get some rest. I'll have to try posting more often so I can get to know some of you and return the kindness, and for you Carl, you don't have to let me get to comfortable, I can take the smack talking, bring it on

OnthegoMom

Old 08-06-2004, 10:02 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Haw'nCarl HB User

mm..mm..mmmm..mm..mm, sooo, you're willing to leave that sliding door unlocked hmmm, weelllll, just give me some ammo.

Most everyone else is here for moral support and guidance, as am I, however, my primary function is to make sure that your funny bone is tickled. And yes all, I hope that when I unleash my wrath, you all know that it is with the utmost respect and compassion as I know how hard recovery from back surgery can be and is, so please take my medicine with a spoonful of sugar!

Elaine, you were just lucky enough to post on one of my off days, plus, you really gave me some good ammo. Seriously, you all seem like wonderful people and I too am glad I found this board, unfortunately we are all here in some unfortunate circumstances, so thanks for not taking me too seriously and thanks for letting me do my thing, Aloha.

Carl

Old 08-06-2004, 10:13 PM   #10

Jenna'sMom HB User

Carl,
You're a sweetie, it wouln't be the same without you here

Julie

APLIF T4-S1 on july 19, 2004
Harrington rod T5 - T12 1982

Old 08-07-2004, 07:25 PM   #11

stacy941 HB User

hello,
I am 2yrs after a L4-L5 laminectomy, L4-L5 discectomy and some siatica nerve work. The scaring will tend to fade alittle, not much!! Make sure you are keeping you incision clean and make sure that youdont twist and bend. I had to start of with little walks, like out to the mailbox and back and work my way up to a mile a day. They also told me not to lift anything that weighs more than 5 pds, About a gallon of milk. Try to do some things, easy things for your self. If not you might have a hard time doing those things afterwards. You'll start therapy and that will help you out alot!!!!! Just make sure you speak up if something hurts or you just dont like doind something and they are usually pretty good about adjusting you pt for you. Whn you start they usually put you on ice and then go to the exersices. Just please, keep doing them after your through with PT. It might be a pain, but it will keep you mid section in check and prevent most back injuries in the future.
Keep posting and good luck. Your through the hard part.

Old 08-08-2004, 06:00 AM   #12

Ribarb47 HB User

Wow, I wish I'd have known a way to reduce scarring. I'm 5 years s/p a discectomy at L5/S1. I had nerve involvement which left me unable to have the ability to dress the lower half of my body. I needed my husband and son (who was 13) to help me. Within 2-3 days after surgery I could actually touch my feet again. I'm not talking bending and touching my toes, I've never been able to do that. My Ortho wanted me walking 30-40 min a day by 10 days after surgery. I don't heal that quickly, but I tried. He wanted me off all pain meds in 10 days also, take Aleve. Then he sends me to PT where they were stretching those tight hamstrings of mine and that nerve pain came back. And hasn't left. My MRI's show masses on both sides of the disc which my Pain Management Dr said are scar tissue.
I have re-herniated my disc several times, but have yet to have another surgery. My Ortho had offered a fusion, or live with the pain.
So, maybe I should have had another repair right away, but it wasn't offered.
I kept in a pool and doing stretching exercises for a long time.
So, if someone knows how to get rid of scar tissue, or the pain from it, Please let me know. Thanks ~ Barbara

Old 08-08-2004, 06:16 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

I wanted to thank you for all your advice... to be honest, I hadn't even thought about scar tissue..... I sure hope it is not too late!!!!
~M~

Closed Thread