It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2004, 04:36 AM   #1

Josephine66 HB User
The longest weekend of my life!

I am having fusion surgery on Monday and this is the longest weekend I have ever been through! I haven't felt true fear like this in a long time! I'm trying to keep busy(not hard to do when you know you will be out of commision for weeks). But this weekend is dragging by! I am such a big baby when it comes to pain, a real wimp! I keep thinking about it and driving myself crazy. Another thing that bothers me is that I have to be there at 5am on Monday for a 7:15 surgery. I know I am not going to be able to sleep at all. Sunday night is going to be a long one!

Old 08-07-2004, 05:58 AM   #2

Jenna'sMom HB User
Re: The longest weekend of my life!

Josephine,
Yeah, that last weekend is very hard. I had mine 3 weeks ago. We tried to fill it with family stuff. I loaded up on pain meds and we took my daughter to Knott's Berry Farm on Saturday, then just had kind of a mother/daughter "girls" day on Sunday, doing nails, watching movies, etc. I guess my point is, if there's any way to get out with family and friends and do something fun, it really helps to take your mind off the upcoming surgery. You might want to take a very light sleep aid Sunday night, and make sure you have a very loud alarm clock!

Good luck, soon you'll be back here telling us how well your doing post op.
I'll be thinking about you Monday morning, sending lots of positive thoughts your way

Take Care,
Julie

APLIF T4-S1 on july 19, 2004
Harrington rod T5 - T12 1982

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2004, 06:20 AM   #3
(female)

Love2cook HB User

Josephine,

I know how hard it can be. I also did what Julie said, by trying to keep myself busy. No always with family things, a little of that plus trying to make sure my house was in order. I have 4 small children and had a "schedule" of caregivers coming to our house to be with them. Many people coming in and out. I had a lot of "notes" per se about the children, plus I wanted to make sure everyone had clean clothes and the house wasn't too disorganized for friends and family who weren't usually there for babysitting. This kept me very busy and also made me very sore and increased my pain. Which in turn, reinforced my reasons for wanting to have the surgery. By the morning of my surgery, I was ready to get on with it and hopefully have better days ahead. I was actually a bit excited the morning of my surgery. The thought of possibly not having to deal with that kind of pain again was a ray of hope to me.

I know the time drags by but try to do things you really enjoy. Have a little fun

As Julie said, we'll be thinking of you Monday morning. Hoping your guardian angel takes especially good care of you.

Elaine

Old 08-08-2004, 12:18 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Haw'nCarl HB User

Aloha Josephine,

My surgery was on a Friday so I didn't have a weekend to worry about, however, I was off of work for so long before my surgery that I for the most part forgot what a weekend was. I do know the feeling you are describing though, I also had to be at the Hospital at 5:00 am. I think my wife was more worried than I was to tell the truth, I was more worried about her than I was for me. That changed very quickly though, just as soon as we hit the front entrance to the Hospital to be exact. I wanted to turn around and go home . I am glad I didnít though I am glad I had it done, I just canít wait for another six months to pass by though. I guess itís all relative, time has a funny way of disappearing before your eyes sometimes, and other times it just stands still.

I wanted to ask you if you have all of youíre post-op goodies lined up: i.e. walker, toilet seat riser, grabber, shower chair grab bar and mat, etc. etc. etc. Just checking, you only have one more day, times a disappearing. Good luck and a speedy recovery. Weíll be here when you get back and are well enough to tap some keys again.

Carl

Old 08-08-2004, 04:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

For $25 I was able to go in the night before. I barely had my eyes open the next morning and they were wheeling me to the OR. It was great!
fly

Old 08-08-2004, 05:18 AM   #6

Ribarb47 HB User

Hi Josephine~I'm new here. I didn't have fusion, but had a discectomy 5 yrs ago, and put it off an extra month (pure hell as pain goes) just to get the early morning surgery. Those last days before are awful, but I was looking to get my mobility back and hopefully be out of pain. Good Luck with your surgery.
Barbara

Old 08-08-2004, 05:52 AM   #7

Josephine66 HB User

Thank you for all the support! I have got the house almost ready. No, I don't have a walker, raised toilett seat etc. I am having the surgery on my neck so I shouldn't need that stuff. I did buy a memory foam pillow though. Time is still dragging though. I just wish it was over allready! I think this part is worse than the actual surgery! I also had a tooth pulled 1 1/2 weeks ago. Now I am having little pieces of bone working their way out. So I keep worrying that I will have trouble after surgery with that. I am just a worrier in general and the anticipation of events are often worse than the actual events KWIM?

Old 08-08-2004, 06:12 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

Josephine:
I too have not had a fusion, however, I am 1 month post op with a 2 level discetomy. I was scared out of my mind before my surgery, as I am sure we all were. What you are doing is the perfect way to keep your mind off of it! I wish you a safe and speedy recovery! I will have you in my thoughts and prayers. Don't forget, once you are up to it, keep us posted on your recovery!

Hugs!
~M~

Old 08-08-2004, 03:14 PM   #9

toelle HB User

Dear Josephine66, My heart goes out to you and your apprehension about your upcoming surgery. I know in my case I was such a baby the day of my surgery I was shaking like a leaf and crying as I waited in the preop room! All the nurses and volenteers were so wonderful to me and really reassured me. I had a horrible experience with surgery when I was 4 years old and have always had a bad fear about it. Be glad you are getting the surgery done early in the morning so you will have the rest of the day to recover. I had to wait untill 2:00 PM before they brought me into the operateing room so I did'nt get to the hospital room untill 5:00. I spent a bad night which would have been much better if I'd been able to have the surgery sooner.
My thoughts and prayers will be with you. Toelle

Old 08-08-2004, 05:35 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: The longest weekend of my life!

Josephine, I know how you are feeling and I can only reiterate what others have already said. I know it's easier said than done For me, I was scheduled for surgery a couple of Monday's ago. I did all my prep work and prepared my home. I took a lite seditive the night before and then on Monday morning the Dr. office called and said there had been a mix up w/ my ins. and they needed to postpone my surgery...So, I went through that last weekend for nothing. I am now scheduled for the 17, so I will do it all over again next weekend. I have heard from the board, that you can ask for something to calm you the morning of and you can take something to help you sleep...just make sure you can wake up. I will keep you in my prayers, good luck.

Lorie

Old 08-09-2004, 06:48 AM   #11
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Josephine, just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you!! I wish you all the best with your surgery today, and hope it all goes smoothly!!
Here's to a successful surgery and complete speedy recovery! Take care!!

Closed Thread