It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2004, 04:34 AM   #1
(female)

dust HB User
for those suffering numbness from sciatica etc

Hello, for those of you suffering numbness from DDD , sciatica or other back problems,, is the numbness in the leg muscles or just the skin?
The docs I have visited don't seem to understand that the numbness I have is skin deep, it is not that the muscle is numb.
When the low back is in alot of pain, I find that it often affects the bladder ie feeling the urgency to urinate when bladder is not really full.
PLease explain the type of numb feeling that you have .

Old 08-08-2004, 05:36 AM   #2
Inactive

michelleseibers HB User
Re: for those suffering numbness from sciatica etc

my right leg goes numb queit often,from sciatis. but i dont know if skeen deep or muscle numbness. i think a little of both. but not sure. someone will be able to answer that properly. hope you feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2004, 05:51 AM   #3

1short HB User

Both my hands and feet are skin deep numb with stiff joints. They feel like they are swelled up, but are not. Good luck.

Old 08-08-2004, 06:18 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

My right leg goes numb only now occasionally now that I have had the surgery. However, I do have a constant lack of sensation in my right outside calf and top of foot.... I would describe it as thick skin... does that make sense?
Good Luck!!
~M~

Old 08-08-2004, 08:50 AM   #5

Spirogyra HB User

Dust--Like you, i sometime get that urgency to urinate with a lot of back pain. I know others who have this too. I have worried about it because bladder problems can be serious. But when I've mentioned it to docs, no one seems concerned. have you mentioned it to your own doc?

Spirogyra

Old 08-08-2004, 05:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: for those suffering numbness from sciatica etc

Dust, for me I have numbness that goes down the front of my shins and the tops of my feet and my lower arms. My shins are definately more than skin deep. They feel heavy and like someone is continuously pinching the nerves. the feet and arms though, are more skin deep. It's more like tingling (more than pins and needles but similar) and they feel heavy. Kind of like my legs and arms are irons (very hot and heavy). I don't know if any of this makes since but it's the best I can do

Good luck,

Lorie

Old 08-09-2004, 11:13 AM   #7
(female)

dust HB User

Hi again,
what I mean by 'skin numbness' is that the skin feels different ie it is numb but this does NOT affect the muscle strength at all- I can still lift just as much weight with my left leg as the right leg.The leg works normally it is just the sensation of feeling is changed,, ie numb ,
If you drag two pins across the skin of my right leg I cannot tell that it is two pins like I can if it is done to the left leg.
Guess I was not really clear.
Thanks to you all

These docs I guess .. well maybe I just dont explain it clearly enough and one keeps saying "must be mild MS"
The others keep trying to blame it on something other than a mechanical problem like a neurological condition.
This back stuff is just sooooo very frustrating, isn't it?
What a crap-shoot!!

Old 08-09-2004, 03:31 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: for those suffering numbness from sciatica etc

Dust, I know exactly what you are talking about. I have all my strength...just numbness and heavyness. They thought I had mild MS for a year or so prior to an MRI showing lumbar problems. I wish you luck,

Lorie

Old 08-09-2004, 06:12 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User

I think what might help is if you identify the specific location where the numbness occurs.

Mine goes down the back of my leg and wraps around to the middle toe. That is a classic L4-L5 pinched nerve. Regardless, the lumbar region is most likely the culprit, as all of these nerves originate from the lumbar discs.

Have you had an MRI yet? My MRI didn't show that my sciatic nerve was pinched by an MRI. The good news is that your docter might be able to focus on the piriformis, as this can pinch the sciatic as well.

I also had foot drop last year, and my nerve conductivity test revealed the cause was peroneal nerve, which is superficial. I'm glad that went away, but I still have numbness in my lower back - same difficulty when touched.

Because of my numerous and irritating problems, I purchased GRANTS ATLAS OF ANATOMY to help me understand my diagnoses better. Some of the pictures are a little "revealing," so be careful if you have kids!

Hope this helps...it was one of the many problems that just took SO LONG to diagnose. Good luck!
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Old 08-09-2004, 07:40 PM   #10

adaisy HB User

My pain is deep and shallow if that makes sense. I feel sharp shooting and searing deep in my leg but also on top. The shallow feeling I can only relate to a shin burning type of feeling. It's hard to tell sometimes. Throughout this 8 month period my pain has changed a few times. Three months ago I was relieved to feel more numbness than shooting pain.... now the searing pain is constant. At least before it was only intermittent pain. I hope my description helps you. [COLOR=Black]undefined[/COLOR]

Old 08-10-2004, 06:18 AM   #11
(female)

dust HB User
please read!

I have had back probs for over 20 years.
Just prior to the numbnes setting in, I had a bout with the back "locking " up and I could not straighten up ( again).
Did the chiro visits,, helped a bit,,
But the low back kept hurting and once in a while I would get shooting pains down the leg.
I passed all the tests in the doc office for the sciatic nerve involvement- .
So one day as I stooped down ina store looking at stuff on a low shelf, I noticed my foot went numb when I stood up. BUT as I stood up and shook it a bit , the numb skin feeling seemed to procede up the leg in a "spider web" fashion.
After about 2 minutes, it was all the way to my waist,, only on the right side,,, exactly in half of my buttocks and other female parts! EXACTLY HALF around to my naval.
It was only the skin and did not affect my leg function.
I went to a chiro nearby and xray did not show much,,
I have had MRI's from brain to toes,,
I will post the reports when I find them again,, Altho Brain MRI was not conclusive for MS or any demyelinating disease, THAT is what one doc decided I must have,,
He just said " Its not a death sentence " and left the room.
Can ya believe that?

Old 08-10-2004, 02:11 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Mine is skin burn I'm sure, if you rub along the area it is uncomfortable and sitting on a cold toilet seat makes the cold feel colder cuz of the heat of the burning sensation. My leg gets real achey especailly in the butt area.

Closed Thread