It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2004, 02:48 PM   #1

SusanPLIF HB User
Question Hardware Removal - Aug 12

Calling all who've had their hardware taken out!!

When I had my PLIF done last August on L4-5, I knew kinda what I was in for. Well, you know - in general anyway! All I know about this surgery on Thursday is that my uncle (an MD) told me its a piece of cake next to my fusion surgery. I have my raised toilet seat still, and my grabber thingee.. and my nice PT lady told me how to scale back my exercises so I don't overdo it.

I'm just starting to get nervous because I know how they're getting back "in there" ....opening up and spreading muscles, etc...again. I'm a little nervous - naturally - about the unknown factors (spasms again - - mine were horrible about 10 days post op).. I'm only supposed to be off work a max of about 3 weeks, according to my surgeon. That makes it sound easier, huh? Compared to my 11 weeks for the PLIF.

I know I just won't know until I get there, but it always helps to vent my concerns here...even if you guys only read. HOWEVER... if there are any out there who've had this done and care to comment on their post-op time.. please do.

thanks!!

Susan - starting to get anxious!

P.S. I'm going to ask them to put my $15,000 hardware in a doggie bag for me. :P I think it'd make a nice mantle decoration (ha ha) or even melted into a piece of jewelry. What a story that'd be, eh? HA

Hey - gotta keep our sense of humor, don't we? Its about all I have control over.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2004, 04:46 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User
Re: Hardware Removal - Aug 12

I just want to wish you a safe and speedy recovery!
~M~

Old 08-08-2004, 04:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: Hardware Removal - Aug 12

Susan, I haven't had my fusion yet, so I can't give you advice. But I want you to know that I am thinking and praying for you. I am sure that if you can get through the fusion...this will be somewhat easier. But it is surgery and I can only imagine that you are nervous. Good luck with everything.

Lorie

Old 08-08-2004, 04:56 PM   #4

Jenna'sMom HB User

no kidding about the cost of the hardware! I'm 3 weeks post op and just got my hospital bill, my implants were $54,650.14, that includes 2 cadaever bone discs, 6 screws with 2 rods, and 2 screws with washers for the front. Titanium must be worth a fortune! Maybe you could melt it down, sell it, and take yourself on a nice vacation after you recouperate!

Seriously, good luck with your surgery, take it easy after, you know the drill. Even though it's a "lesser", it's still major, so don't push yourself too fast after. Work can always wait another week.

Take care,
Julie

APLIF T4-S1 on july 19, 2004
Harrington rod T5 - T12 1982

Old 08-09-2004, 01:38 AM   #5
(female)

shaukc HB User

Hello Susan ! As you know i had my hardware removed on the 13th of July . The after pain was no where near as bad as when they put it all in - right now i am having lots of nerve pain and some incision pain .Right after they took it out i had lots of the creepy crawly feelings - they said it was the nerves waking up . Mine was outpatient - had it done at nine thirty and was home by two thirty . I also kept my hardware . Mine cost $85,000 and i just could not see throwing it away - hubby says we are going to frame it . LOL ! Good luck and you will be in my prayers . Shauna

Old 08-09-2004, 09:42 AM   #6
(female)

GranEEjay8 HB User

Hello Susan, just read your post and can sure relate to how you are feeling. I've had 3 back surgeries and each time I got nervous and a little scard. I don't think you would be normal if you didn' have these feelings. My last one, they removed all the broken hardware and put in new, same size rod but bigger and better screws. This surgery was only about 6 hours. My recovery was much better than the first time they put the hardware in. I would say that within 2 weeks I was feeling pretty darn good. So stay positive! Your going to have a speedy recovery! Keep us informed on how your doing. I wish you lots of good luck and my thoughts will be with you. Now for my humor Try 2 at about $80,000 and one at about $50,000 and that was just the hospital! All I can say is thank God for insurance!!!!! Come to think of it, I should have framed the hardware. It would certainly be the most expensive
piece in my house!
Joan
P.S. Take care. All will be fine.

Last edited by GranEEjay8; 08-09-2004 at 09:44 AM.

Closed Thread