It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2004, 03:33 PM   #1
(female)

grayfox HB Usergrayfox HB Usergrayfox HB User
Question Having problems with scoliosis

I am a 57 year old female with moderate scoliosis. It seems to be getting worse. I have been having fatigue in my back to the point of standing up long periods of time are almost unbearable. Do you know of any exercises that I can do to help? I prefer not to have surgery. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-08-2004, 03:56 PM   #2

aquabelle HB User
Re: Having problems with scoliosis

I have some structural back problems in the lower back myself but not scoliosis. But I want to share some exercises that reduced symptoms that had lasted for decades to almost nothing! They're back extension and abdominal curls from the book "Strong Women Stay Young" by Miriam E. Nelson, pp 173-185.
Rather than describe them and maybe leave out something important, I suggest you look for this book, probably can find it second hand by now. Its program was tested first on nursing home residents and did them worlds of good. But for now, you can leave out the free weight routine and just help your back. In fact I got great results after four sessions (two weeks) doing the back extension and abdominal curl exercises.
Hope you find this useful!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2004, 05:15 PM   #3

Jenna'sMom HB User
Re: Having problems with scoliosis

Have you seen an orthopeadic or a physical therapist? You might want to check with a doctor to make sure the scoliosis isn't impigning on any other organ functions. You didn't say if your curve is in the upper or lower back or both. Orthopeadic surgeons don't always suggest surgery, especially if you have a balanced curve and it's not interfering with other organs. They can also write prescriptions for PT so your insurance will cover it.

Strengthening the abdominal muscles seems to help, no matter what your back problems.

Good luck to you,
Jenna's Mom

APLIF T4-S1 on july 19, 2004
Harrington rod T5 - T12 1982

Old 08-10-2004, 10:07 AM   #4
(female)

grayfox HB Usergrayfox HB Usergrayfox HB User
Smile Re: Having problems with scoliosis

Thank you for your replies. The curve is in my upper back. I have not seen any physical therapists. I was going to a chiropractor but I didn't see much difference. I will look for the book--it sounds like there might be exercises that could help.

Closed Thread