It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2004, 06:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink New pains/numbness...I need some info.

Hello, I haven't posted much this past week because the pain has been so much worse than before. As many of you know, I had my fusion surgery postponed for a few weeks. It is now going to be on Aug. 17. My questions/concerns are these. My nerve pain, from Sciatica, has gotten a lot worse in the past couple of weeks. I now am getting numbness down my legs, both of my feet and also now in both my arms. That is my next concern, my problems have all been in my lumbar area. I've only had mri's on that area since that is what hurt. But now my upper back (shoulder level) hurts and numbness going down both arms. I am wondering if anyone know how long you can go with nerve pain, before it becomes permanent. Also, how likely is it that the damage to my upper back is due to my lumbar area being weakened.

Unfortunately, my Ortho. is on vacation until I go in for the surgery. So, he wont even know about any of this new stuff untill he see's me that day. Also, will I actually see and talk with the surgeon prior to the surgery...or will it mainly be the nurses and anestesiologist?

All info appreciated. Oh, I heard a few folks mention Biofreeze. Where do you get it?

Thanks,
Lorie

Old 08-08-2004, 07:22 PM   #2

Spirogyra HB User
Re: New pains/numbness...I need some info.

Hi Lorie--Is there anyone at the office you could call to make sure they have the information? At my surgeon's office, there is a surgical nurse who is available to respond to questions and does some deciding about what needs to be passed on to the surgeon. It is possible that your higher-up symptoms are the result, in part,
of your compensating for the lower. I know I get shoulder pain when I walk; it's like I'm trying to "hitch things up" with my upper back muscles. But weakness in your arms goes beyond that. They may want to do an MRI of your neck or upper back to be sure things are OK there. If there is a nurse or someone on call, they ought to be of help. In terms of seeing the surgeon before the operation, I wouldn't want to wait until then to pass on this question. Good luck!

Spiro

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread