It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2004, 10:24 PM   #1

Jenna'sMom HB User
Talking Hi Elaine, I see you're on now.

Hi,
I haven't been on very much today, the irritated spot is still bad, have not even taken a walk to the end of the block. Am definitely calling the doctor in the morning. Did you read that post about that woman that broke a pedicle screw getting out of a car? That worried me a little, but I'm trying not to worry until there's actually something to worry about. I'm just so darn frustrated that I was doing so great, and now I'm walking worse than my second day up after the surgery! AAARRRGGGGHHH.

Okay, that was my vent. Sounds like you had a nice weekend at the zoo. I always love going to those places. Sometimes I think I like going more than Jenna. There's a rescue place here called the Ecostation, and they have a bobcat that was raised with dogs and still kind of thinks it's one, it's the funniest thing. They also have the most amazing collection of birds. I am always awed by nature's creative beauty, the way colors subtlely transform and fade into others on birds. God is one heck of an Art Director!

Hope you got to rest a little today, I know it's a crazy one for you.
Hopefully, we'll get a chance to "chat" tomorrow.

Julie

APLIF T4-S1 on july 19, 2004
Harrington rod T5 - T12 1982

Old 08-09-2004, 07:02 PM   #2
(female)

Love2cook HB User
Re: Hi Elaine, I see you're on now.

Julie

Hi there-sorry it took me so long to reply. It's neat to see my name in a thread title. Funny that even though it's an obvious post from you to me, how many others read it I guess that's all part of community boards! No big deal, just funny.

Ok, I have to say I totally understand your vent. I did not read about the women who broke a pedicle screw getting out of a car and YES!!! that would freak me out too. I am fortunate b/c I don't have any rods or screws. All I have is one less disc and 2 titanium cages filled with Infuse (sp?), artificial bone graft material. I would be concerned when reading something like that also. As always, feel free to vent to me! That's what I'm here for. And I know if I need to vent, you'll "listen" too.

Pain meds... reading your post about post op pain meds - I really got a kick out of what Scott said. That the medical staff must somehow think our pain magically goes away on the drive home. Love that!! Isn't that what is supposed to happen?? HA! I just called today- AGAIN - asking for a refill on my Vicodin. Six wks post op as of this Wednesday and the nurse (named Julie, whose come to know me quite well, said I was fine taking it once or twice a day. My dr's request for his fusion pt's is that they be off all narcotics by 12 wks. So she says I'm doing fine. Not to worry. I can see how people can get used to this med though. It can really help things. For me I'm just dealing with this deep muscle cramping and the Vicodin really help relax those tight muscles. Anyway, it is interesting about how drs feel so different about meds.

No big cooking for others this weekend. But I did made 8 loaves of zucchini bread yesterday A friend gives me fresh zucchini from her garden every year at this time and I make bread out of it and freeze it. It is wonderful. Too bad I can email you some I've got plenty. She has more for me to pick up on Wednesday. My boys (all except for Aaron, my 4 year old) love it and will eat it with every meal if I let them. Adam, the 1 1/2 year old will forgo any "dinner" food on his plate if zucchini bread is on the table and just ask for that.

Unfortunately no big rest for me today. Ken is feeling sick. It started yesterday with a headache and achiness and today he felt like he'd been hit with a truck. Just hurting all over. He's always been really good about fighting stuff off, so hopefully it will run it's course and he'll be feeling better in no time. I'd rather have a sick kid than a sick husband any time... for many reasons.

Love the story of the bobcat raised with dogs, who believes he is one. We have a dog (a female!!!) that believes she's queen. She's a great dog. Great with the kids. She can rough house with them, and then the next minute cuddle. We've had her for about a year. When we started talking about getting a dog I made them swear if we would get one, it had to be a female.

I am a big Dr. Phil fan. Are you? Just wondered since you're close to LA if you've ever gone to one of his shows? I'd love to but I don't have any immediate plans to go to California. Most people either love him or hate him. I find most of his shows very informative. I don't agree with everything he does, but most of it makes good sense to me.

Well, I think I'll take advantage of the quiet in the house and get some rest now. Take care of yourself and I sure hope you're feeling better than last week!

Elaine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2004, 06:40 AM   #3

Jenna'sMom HB User

Elaine,
Yeah, it is kinda funny that everyone can read the posts meant for specific people, but I guess them's the rules - hope they enjoy them. I wish there was a private way I could give you my email address.

Sorry to hear Ken's sick. Poor guy, he's got alot on his shoulders, I guess sometimes it finally makes you stop whether you want to or not. I hope he's feeling better very soon. Know what you mean about sick husbands, although Dave isn't too bad. I sent Dave out on Saturday for a "responsiblity free" day. The living room sanding/painting could wait, I could handle Jenna for 5 hours after her playdate, etc. These guys are taking such good care of us, plus their jobs, sometimes we (at least I) forget they need some time to themselves to recharge.

I enjoyed Scott's post about pain too, he's pretty funny. It is weird how all the different docs have different policies. Yours and mine seem exactly the same about the pain meds. I'm supposed to be off them by 8 weeks. Of course one of the reasons for doing the surgery in the first place was to get off the daily pain meds. I hear you on the vicodin, it can have a very "calming" effect, although after awhile (year or two) it seems to have the reverse effect. Is your doctor letting you take hot baths yet? I can't believe Scott gets to soak in a hot tub no less.

I left a message for the surgical assistant at the doc's yesterday, but I think they were in surgery so I didn't hear back from him. He had promised to call me today, last week, so I'm hoping to hear from him today. You know I realized, that if weren't for the spot that's tweaked, I would be pretty pain free. The tummy doesn't hurt anymore, and the back incision is pretty much healed. Which really burns my behind. The 5 days of bedrest have lessened the pain slightly, but my normal walking gait is gone. I hobble. Well, I've been hobbling around the house more and more, so maybe today I'll try to force mylself to walk normally down to the corner and back. I will take the walker, just in case.

Gosh, I wish you could email zucchini bread too, my family loves it! It's the only way I can get Jenna to eat zucchini, thank god for peas. Every time I try to make any kind of bread, (zucchini, banana) it comes out really dry. I'm a great cook, and love to do it, but I'm a lousy baker. My neighbor down the street grows these great tomatoes, so I usually make sauce when I get those.

I've never been to a Dr. Phil taping. I've only been to one taping in my life. Dave and I went to a "Mad About You" taping about 7 years ago.
Hmmm, Dr. Phil, when I first caught the show -- which was rarely, because I work full-time outside the home -- I thought he was great. Then slowly he began to annoy me. He comes off a little harsh and holier than thou. The whole weight loss thing really turned me off. Especially, since he's not exactly svelte himself. I've never really had a weight problem, but I can imagine that for those who do, it's must be a very hard battle. But, if he helps people, than more power to him. Everyone responds differently. I'm one of those people who responds to positive reinforcement as opposed to harsh lectures.

We have a dog (and cat) too. Her name's Sally and she's definitely a real member of the family. She's a Golden Retreiver and is so good with kids. When Jenna was a baby and toddler, she used to climb up on Sally and pull hair to get up (albeit unwittingly) Sally would just sit there and stare at us like "Oh well just for awhile". When she'd had enough she would just get up and walk away. She used to sleep with us too, but her hips are getting arthritic now and it's hard for her to jump up. It used to get a little crowded when the entire "household" was in bed with us.

Great to hear from you. Your posts always perk up my day. Good luck with the sick hubby. Glad to hear you're planning to get some rest in there yourself.

Talk to you later,
Julie

Old 08-10-2004, 05:58 PM   #4
(female)

Love2cook HB User

[QUOTE=Jenna'sMom]Elaine,
Gosh, I wish you could email zucchini bread too, my family loves it! It's the only way I can get Jenna to eat zucchini, thank god for peas. Every time I try to make any kind of bread, (zucchini, banana) it comes out really dry. I'm a great cook, and love to do it, but I'm a lousy baker. My neighbor down the street grows these great tomatoes, so I usually make sauce when I get those.

I've never been to a Dr. Phil taping. I've only been to one taping in my life. Dave and I went to a "Mad About You" taping about 7 years ago.
Hmmm, Dr. Phil, when I first caught the show -- which was rarely, because I work full-time outside the home -- I thought he was great. Then slowly he began to annoy me. He comes off a little harsh and holier than thou. The whole weight loss thing really turned me off. Especially, since he's not exactly svelte himself. I've never really had a weight problem, but I can imagine that for those who do, it's must be a very hard battle. But, if he helps people, than more power to him. Everyone responds differently. I'm one of those people who responds to positive reinforcement as opposed to harsh lectures.

Great to hear from you. Your posts always perk up my day. Good luck with the sick hubby. Glad to hear you're planning to get some rest in there yourself.

Talk to you later,
Julie [/QUOTE]

Julie-

I can't tell how weird it was for me when I read the part in your post that said you're a good cook, but not a baker. That is EXACTLY me!! I just get by with the zucc bread b/c it's a no-fail recipe. Other than that, I hate to bake. I don't even make my poor deprived children homemade cookies b/c I always burn them. Zucc bread is the only "baked" item that I don't seem to burn, although I did leave a few of them in too long and they are dried out. But overall, all 14 loaves (I made 6 more today) turned out pretty good. I freeze it for later or share it with friends. My husband says I'm a great cook. One of the things I love to do the most is make soup. He says that someday, when the kids are older, we should open up a soup shop. I think he's dreaming

And as for Dr. Phil, yes, he's a bit harsh. I can see that. Most people come to him wanting that "give it to me like it is" type perspective. And he does that. He's very straight forward and doesn't sugar coat much. I like that about him, though. I'm a realist and I like to just hear it like it is. I have learned a lot about raising children from him. He has a very good approach. With having four different children with FOUR different personalities, I need all the advice I can get. He has made many good points on his parenting series that he calls "Parenting 101". Not to mention his thoughts on how a married couple should be respectful to eachother. I'm still new at this, I've only been married 8 years (as of next month). Most of the people who seek his advice have so called "tried all the options they know to try". I've never really had a weight issue either, other than have a few extra pounds here and there from having babies, but I find his perspective very valuable. If I lived where you do, I'd be there for a taping of a show!

Ken is feeling better today. He has very bad seasonal allergies and the second week in August has always been a bad time. So for the next month or so he'll be dealing with that. His overall flu like feeling went away for the most part and he was able to work today.

I have had this weird thing going on with my legs for a long time. I always thought it had something to do with me disc and it still might. I have a hard time laying down in bed to go to sleep. My legs feel very aggitated and bothersome. Many times I get up and do a few laps around the lower level to stretch them out. It also happens at times throughout the day when I'm sitting. But I was reading on the Mayo Clinic website something called "Restless Leg Syndrome". And it describes exactly what I am feeling. I wonder if I should bring this up to my ortho or just my family dr. I guess there are things I could do to help it. And there's also meds to help. I just found this out today so I'm eager to find out if this is something that can be helped. Or maybe it is just related to my back and the nerves are healing.

Better get going for now. Your posts always perk me up as well! Keep writing!

Elaine

Old 08-10-2004, 06:39 PM   #5

Jenna'sMom HB User

Hi,
I went to the Mayo Clinic website to read about RLS, very interesting. How long has this been going on? It did say that iron difficiency is a cause, and I wonder if you've had your iron level checked. Being perimenapausal myself, I know that a little dip in iron levels, can really affect you. And with four kids in quick succession, that could add to it. I guess I'd mention it to both your doctors, but maybe call the PCP first. I can't decide whether to hope it's RLS or just related to your back issues, I guess whichever will give you a quick treatment and relief. Sorry you're dealing with it at all. You know the saying about "God only gives us a much as we can handle," well you must be a very strong person in his eyes. I know there's alot of people here much worse off than we are, but sometimes enough is enough

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary! Dave and I just celebrated our 9th in may. We were both late bloomers in the marriage dept. I got married at 35, then tried to get pregnant right away, it took us 3 years and some medical intervention to accomplish that. I know what you mean about getting all the advice you can about kids. You have four and must have to run a very tight discipline ship. I basically stink at discipline. I had no good role models for parenting, I got way too much discipline and I err on the not enough side. Jenna is also one of those really strong willed individuals (gosh I wonder where she gets it from ?) Dave and I are both only children and have never been one's for strict routines, and we haven't really imposed those on Jenna in the past. Now we're trying, and it's really hard to undo bad habits. Don't get me wrong, she's a great kid, very open and compassionate, just very bullheaded!

Still haven't heard back from the doctor, but forced myself to take 2 short walks down to the corner and back with the walker. I feel so good everywhere except the spot that got tweaked last week. If it weren't for that, I swear could walk for an hour. I've only had to take the pain meds every 4.5 to 5 hours today, as opposed to the every 3 hours the past few weeks. So maybe I'm making a comeback -- but I'd still like to know what I did to myself. The pain is so exactly what I had before surgery, and I didn't experience it after surgery until last Thursday. If all this was for naught, I'm just gonna kick myself. Okay, that was enough negativity, now, back to believing it will improve every day again!

Dave just took Jenna to the park to hit some balls, so I'm going to go lay down for a bit. Talk to you tomorrow.

Julie

Old 08-10-2004, 07:12 PM   #6
(female)

Love2cook HB User

Hi Julie-

You're right about the iron. I don't think I've ever had too much of a problem with it but I had a few incidences with pregnancies. I am going to start taking an iron supplements right away and just see if that helps.

I'm a pretty strict mom. I feel like I have to be. We have a ton of fun, but I do insist that they mind us. I have many people tell me that my boys are so well behaved for their age. I came from a family of 3 children, I was the youngest and the only girl. I grew up with only brothers and now I only have boys. I guess God decided I knew what I was doing with boys so that's what He gave me. There's a book I skimmed about birth order and if I remember correctly first borns (or only children) get along great with each other. Maybe that's why you and your hubby hit it off. I bet Jenna is one sweet girl. I remember being the only daughter... I'd say I got my way most of the time That's not so bad!

I'm going to search the net more for RLS and see if other descriptions fit. I think I will call my PCP tomorrow just to talk to the nurse and see if she has any suggestions.

Chat at cha tomorrow!
Elaine

Closed Thread