It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2003, 04:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
Question Exercise after Fusion

Hi Everyone ,

I was wondering of those of you who have had lumbar fusions and enjoy an active lifestyle, how long did it take you to get 'back into it'.
For those of you who were regular gym goers (weight lifting etc) how long until you were able to start exercising your muscles (on a limited basis)?

Thanks everyone
[img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]
Brooke

Old 09-28-2003, 06:48 PM   #2

SusanPLIF HB User
Hi Brooke,
I'm sure you were probably addressing people further out from surgery than me.. But I'm 8 weeks post, and still am only allowed to do my 2x daily walks. No bending, lifting, etc yet.. [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/yawn.gif[/img]
Good thing is...even as sedentary as I've been, I haven't put on any extra weight. [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif[/img]

Keep the faith!!
Susan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2003, 08:09 PM   #3
Veteran

standingman HB User
Hi Susan--Roughly, how far and how long do you walk? Do you need to avoid hills? Do you basically go by "feel" or do you follow any kind of program of gradually increasing your range?

Thanks!

Standingman

Old 09-29-2003, 04:16 AM   #4

blue2000 HB User
Brooke,

I had 360 spinal fusion in April of this year. I am 100 percent fused. I was told I can go back to doing everything. I played tennis 3x a week. I did however strength train before my surgery, so my legs were quite strong. I do however watch for the slightest twinge and then back down so I don't overdo it. I even wear high heels again. I started physical therapy two weeks post op.

good luck

[This message has been edited by blue2000 (edited 09-29-2003).]

Old 09-29-2003, 07:05 AM   #5

SusanPLIF HB User
Hi Standingman,
I was told (at first) to take 2 five minute walks a day. Sounds petty, doesn't it? I was glad it was so small at first though. (I still walked around the house and stuff). After the first month, he told me to go further than I had been going. I asked him how far is too far, and his words were, "if you start to hurt, you've gone too far." A lot of help, huh? lol
My neighborhood is lucky in that I don't have any steep hills, just gradual ones. In the beginning, I'm sure I would have avoided steep ones anyway as my energy sapped away quickly. Slowly and surely is a safe bet. Listen to your body. [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif[/img]
Susan

Old 09-29-2003, 07:38 AM   #6

camelia HB User
hello brooke
was wondering if you were doing any Pilated 'core' strengthening exercises to strengthen muscles in the lumbar region before your surgery
since i told my pilates instructor about my 'spondy' situation she had a question about whether I should continue to work towards a neutral pelvis & spine position or more towards an imprint or lengthening of the lumbar with a slight posterior tilt
We decided on the latter & basically to avoid anything that hurt my back - nothing ever has!
best
C

------------------
Spondylolisthesis for over 25 years without pain symptoms
Leg aching started 12/02 & burning feet pain in 7/03 finally dx as pressure on nerves at L5 & S1 on 9/8/03
Had 1 steroid injection with very little pain relief & scheduled to have 1 more & a Myelogram in October
Provisional surgery date 11/11/03

Old 09-29-2003, 03:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
Hi Camelia,

Actually I was an avid pilates goer. I used to go 7 times a week! I loved it. It just got to be a bit much for the nerves in my legs (doing leg exercises that is). As far as the core stabilising exercises go it was fantastic. I just had to listen to my body and figure out at what point my stomach muscles were going into fatigue because as soon as that happens my back will take over and as you know, thats a no no

Yep, I always try to work toward a neutral pelvis mainly because I have noticeable lordosis and it actually relieves my back to tilt my pelvis right under, it feels as though its spacing out the vertebrae and giving the discs some room. The lengthening is also very good and I know it would be doing me well but personally i get a lot of relief from tilting my pelvis under as it eliminates some of the curve.

A lot of the time I do pilates at home as I dont have time to fit in with the gym class timetable.

Thanks for your help Camelia,
Brooke

Old 09-29-2003, 03:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
Hi SusanPLIF,

Thanks for your reply, no 8 weeks out is a great time to hear from. I really like weight lifting and exercise and I want to be doing it as soon as I possibly can, obviously without compromising my back.

After you were released from hospital, what kind of exercise were you doing?

Thanks SusanPLIF,
[img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img] Brooke

Old 09-29-2003, 03:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
Hi Blue2000

Wow, thats great so that makes it 5 monthsand your back into it? Thats great. How did you start off after surgery? Was it a matter of what your body dictated you could and couldnt do? (obviously with no bending etc)

Brooke

Old 09-30-2003, 05:36 AM   #10

blue2000 HB User
Brooke:

the day after surgery, the P/T's came in and starting me walking. I have a lot of steps in my house, so they showed me how to go up and down, (up with the good and down with the bad). I got home after 2 days and started crawling out of bed at each commercial. I walked and walked and walked. It was no picnic. I took pain meds. round the clock to dull the pain. Before each P/T I doubled pills and had someone take me. Then I slept for hours. Just keep up and when it hurts like $$ll, stop and rest.

Good Luck

Old 09-30-2003, 09:14 AM   #11

camelia HB User
thanks brooke for your pilates advise - i too get relief from tilting my pelvis & also feel its spacing out the vertebrae
how about flexion - do you combine that with rotation or leave the rotation out completely?
my SI seems to be having some effect - nothing dramatic - but haven't needed pain meds today as yet & its 12.05 - usually I have to take for nerve pain soon after breakfast
& have also made appointment for pilates for tomorrow - havent felt up to that for weeks . . .
best
camelia

Old 09-30-2003, 07:19 PM   #12

SusanPLIF HB User
Hi Brooke,
So far, I'm still only allowed to do walking exercise.

I had fusion with rods/screws to help stabilize, so they aren't wanting me to put any undue extra pressure on the 'equipment' while the bones are molding all around it.

It's pretty boring, but worth the wait - Im sure. I'm not in any real pain...and even the nerve irritation has died down in my leg (all post op irritation) considerably.

Luckily, I have still kept my same pre-op weight even 8 weeks out... So, it's all looking up from here - as long as I take it slow.

I've heard good things about Pilates...but never tried it before b/c of the pain I was already in.. Hope to try it in coming months (whenever doc says its ok).

Keep the faith!
Susan

Old 09-30-2003, 11:08 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
Hi Camelia,

Flexion feels good, obviously extension i just lock so thats no good. You know how you're always told to bend at the hips not the waist?well i love to bend at the waist, it feels so good. But i try to avoid rotation. Actually i shouldnt really rotate at all as it always seems to upset something.

Brooke

Old 10-01-2003, 08:22 AM   #14

camelia HB User
hi brooke - thanks for reply
actually i discovered a whole lot of things anyone with spondy shouldnt be doing! - all those stretches you see everyone doing at the health club involving bending & stretching at L5 & S1 - it feels sooo good but puts the nerves under too much pressure
thats a good tip about remembering to bending from the hip & not the waist - & also to use your abs to support you rather than back muscles
have a g'day! brooke
c

Old 10-01-2003, 05:16 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
Thanks Camelia,

You're right I hate watching people at health clubs. I work at a gym and people actually get offended if you try to correct their technique but thats my job. All i can think of saying to them is, trust me you dont want to go through this so just do it properly. I remember when i was about 15 and starting a job in a supermarket and I remember them saying 'be careful of your back' i used to think blah blah blah, now i know why.. its things people take for granted you dont realise just how much you rely on something until its not there to be relied on anymore.

Have a good day C,
Brooke

Closed Thread