It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2003, 07:22 AM   #1

Lump25 HB User
Post Terrible back spasms after compression fractures

A few years ago I had a car accident leaving my with two compression fractures of T6 & T10. The ********es and goes, sometimes unbearable, sometimes tolerable but the back spasms that plague me happen every day and are extremely painful! I have been to physical therapy whichis a quick fix, chiropractic and message therapy. Nothing helps.

Can anyone suggest a presriction tha works for this problem other that Flexeril? I tried that but it did not help me when the pain was unbearable, it was kinda like using a heating pad. Ok at the moment, but not really good over all.

[This message has been edited by Lump25 (edited 10-01-2003).]

Old 10-01-2003, 09:38 AM   #2

river rat HB User
you can try a muscle relaxor for spasms called parafon for day use and zanaflex 4mg. for night to help you sleep. my doctor also prescribes me darvocet to help with severe pain. hope this helps. i go in tomorrow for an mri to look at possible ruptured discs. i couldn't make it without these meds. chow rr [quote]Originally posted by Lump25:
[b]A few years ago I had a car accident leaving my with two compression fractures of T6 & T10. The ********es and goes, sometimes unbearable, sometimes tolerable but the back spasms that plague me happen every day and are extremely painful! I have been to physical therapy whichis a quick fix, chiropractic and message therapy. Nothing helps.

Can anyone suggest a presriction tha works for this problem other that Flexeril? I tried that but it did not help me when the pain was unbearable, it was kinda like using a heating pad. Ok at the moment, but not really good over all.

[This message has been edited by Lump25 (edited 10-01-2003).][/b][/quote]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2003, 08:40 AM   #3

2001Flushes HB User
A few years ago I suffered a serious chest injury resulting compression fractures and a wedge fracture at levels T6, T7, T8 and T9 (in addition to many other broken bones...sternum(breast bone) ribs and lung injury as well). It was many months of recovery and to this day the back spasms often plaque me.

Naturally the narcotic analgesics such as Lortab and then relaxant as Soma are the most effective. Most doctors will not prescribe such on a long-term basis. Also, I like to feel "normal" and the loopy effects are undesirable.

I've tried massage therapy, chiropractic, physical therapy, etc. Vioxx has offered some relief but not much. Skelaxin (muscle relaxant) I have been pleased with the results of.

Ultimately what has helped me most is regular exercise. It was painful and hard, but the mre I work out, etc., the better I have felt and done over time. After a good work out I like laying down on my massage pad for a little bit while the vibrating thingy does its thing. It took me over 3 years before I really started to feel back to myself though.

Old 10-02-2003, 09:29 AM   #4

oakleygirl HB Useroakleygirl HB Useroakleygirl HB Useroakleygirl HB Useroakleygirl HB Useroakleygirl HB Useroakleygirl HB Useroakleygirl HB User
I also take Zanflex at bedtime, although the back spasms I have are rare. It does help relax, and when I've had the spasms, have helped somewhat. Back spasms can be real painful - I know.

O'Girl

------------------
20 years intermittent back pain - no treatment sought
Nov 2001 - herniated disk - Right leg radiculopathy
Jan 2002 - Chiropractic care
Mar 2002 - MRI, X-Rays, Oral steroids
Apr 2002 - L4/L5 Microdiskectomy
Sept 2002 - PT, Oral steroids
Oct 2002 - MRI, Xrays - Failed Back Syndrome
Apr 2003 - TFESI, EMG, MRI
Diagnosis - DDD - foraminal narrowing, disk bulges, osteophytes, ligamentum flavum hypertrophy, active marrow edema, levoscoliosis, retrolisthesis, scar tissue encompassing L5 nerve root, disk height diminished, abnormal EMG results for left leg
Sept 2003 - Discogram with Xrays, CT Scan.
Oct 2003 - 2 level 360 degree fusion to be scheduled

Old 10-05-2003, 03:04 AM   #5
(female)

Dwiggie HB User
Hi;
Have you or others considered Botox injections to alleviate spasms in the lower back?
My scolosis has gotten so bad that several ribs on my right side get caught under the front part my pelvic bone, and daily I was developing hard muscle spasms the size of a large orange just from walking or standing for more than ten minutes at a time. How's that for a run-on sentence?
Botox is used more for upper back or neck spasms, but the neurologist thought I was a good candidate for it anyway. With me directing the doctor to where it hurt,(he also used a machine that measured spasm levels) he injected my back in nine seperate areas. He told me it might take up to two weeks to notice any difference.
But------within three days my back was no longer going into spasms, and I almost couldn't believe it. I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome which is a connective tissue disorder. I have had multiple ortho surgeries and use a Duragesic patch for chronic pain, so when something doesn't hurt, I am very aware of it.
The injections are given every three months and though they are more than a bit painful (the nurse said she would put me in the back room the next time)I am looking forward to my second set on the 13th.
Of course Botox is not going to work for everyone, but it did help me and I thought it was worth mentioning.
Question-----has anyone had scoliosis surgery recently? I am interested in learning more about the different surgical approaches.
Sorry this is so long.
Karen

Old 03-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
(female)

greenhams HB User
Re: Terrible back spasms after compression fractures

hi, i also had a car crash which has caused a wedge fracture of t6 possibley more waiting for MRI scan results. Took 8 months before my doc even sent me for a x-ray after me complaining of back pain not getting better, on top of this i am fighting for compensation for my injury and they want me to travel miles for a independant medical examination. I have been told that it is unlikely that my back can be fixed because I waited too long to get treatment which really angers me as it was my GP who would not believe me and refused to send me for x-ray but just got to get on with it, I have just found this site and it's gives me some comfort to know that others out there understand what i am going through. I wish you all well now and for the future.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:29 AM   #7
(female)

Lynette Mc HB User
Re: Terrible back spasms after compression fractures

I had my accident in late Feb 2010 where I fell off a sled and suffered a compression fracture of L1. I had surgery to prevent chronic back pain associated with these type of injuries. When I was in the hospital my back spasms were so severe the nurse could not move my sheet! They gave me everything, valium, flexerial, soma and morphine but not strong enough! Finally the best pain reliever in the world, dielotted. It is very strong and they may not prescribe out of a hospital setting. I was "Alice in Wonderland" after getting a shot of that stuff. But now 3 months later I am pain free and the spasms are gone, thank god!

Good Luck!

Closed Thread