It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2004, 09:27 AM   #1

ch04 HB User
Unhappy worried about plif 360 fusion fed up with life

Hi all
In a lot of pain at the moment , and had to have yet more time off work.
Im getting very worried about my 360 plif with b twin cages ,which is booked this OCT
I have read a few threads and a lot of you are saying if you have a 360 its better done fron both sides Not just the front
My doc says its better done from the back useing a new aprocah (b twin cages ) taking the whole of the disc away

Has any one had this done from the back way ?
And what is your back pain like now?
Im fed up with life at the mo
So sorry if it I sound a bit down

I have 2 kids age 11 and 7 and realy want my life back

Please can any one help

Chris

DDD L5 S1 ( all other discs OK)
3 eps
IN pain for 2years

Old 08-09-2004, 09:38 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: worried about plif 360 fusion fed up with life

Are the discs degenerated enough to warrant surgery? The SI? Have you looked at all of the alternatives? Have you gotten second opinions on the procedure and the neccessity of the surgery? Have you done a thourough search of the net to see if DDD mean/equals surgery?

I was a bit curious about this as I am of the age that most people have some DDD. Unless there are nerves involved, there is no need for surgery. What nerve is involved? Sciatic? That is a bad one SO, if it is, your next step is to do an exhaustive search on which one to do.

What I did learn was that if everyone had back surgery on every disc that degenerated, by the time that you turned about eighty, you would have had surgery on every disc in your back.

I would not want to be in your shoes right now. You have some hard decisions to make.

My prayers are with you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2004, 10:08 AM   #3

Jenna'sMom HB User

Hi,
Sorry you're so frustrated and in pain, I understand, you just want something/anything to make it all better. I'm not sure what you mean by 360 degree fusion.

I had a fusion from L4 to S1, they went in the front, took out discs and replaced with cadaever bone discs, then injected BMP into a cavity in the center of the cadeaver disc. Inserted a screw with washer to hold cadaever disc in place, put back all organs, sewed me up then turned me over.

Opened up the back, pulled the slipped L5 back into place a little, inserted 2 screws into each vertabrae on either side, then attached to rod to hold it all together, and sewed me back up again.

If this is the same surgery, I have no idea if they can do it from just a posterior approach. That would be great if they could, probably make recovery much easier.

Hope me 2 cents helped. Good luck with your surgery, let us know what happens.

Julie

APLIF T4-S1 on july 19, 2004
Harrington rod T5 - T12 1982

Old 08-09-2004, 12:58 PM   #4

Stormy01 HB User

Chris;

I, too, am sorry for your pain. I know what it's like to be in chronic pain for years and years and years. It just wears you down and beats on you like a 2 x 4. So I really can feel for you. I've been that way for almost 4 years now. Every minute of every hour of every day.

I'm not going to discuss your procedure, because there are others far more knowledgeable than me when it comes to that.

Just, whatever you do, don't give up. We are all here for you to lean on and listen to you. That is what a support group is for, and we're yours! Lean on us. Scream, vent, rant, rage, we will be here for you, but don't, please don't give up. I've been at that stage too, where I want to just say to heck with it and jump off a bridge but it accomplishes nothing and you have children. You have so much to look forward to!

And better yet, you have reason to hope. They have new procedures coming out all the time now for us. If you have withstood the pain for this long, surly you can withstand it a bit longer. It will improve. You may never be 100% again, but what about 95%? It's possible now, or shortly will be. Don't you dare give up. I'm as scared as you are and am working my hardest to get a surgery scheduled in November, in one of the clinical trials for the artificial disk implant. I've been asked to come and been given an appointment so I have my foot in the door. There is hope, and fear.

There is hope for you too. Does your doctor know you are so depressed? Tell him/her. (I told mine and she blew me off. I got a new doctor.) It's important, because how you feel directly affects your immune system. If you feel depressed, it will take you that much longer to heal up. You need to be positive. Find joy. Do something silly. But first, talk to your doctor about it!

I get concerned when I hear everyone addressing the surgical side and no one addressing the mental side of things. But I'm with you. I know exactly how you feel. Don't give up.

Stormy

Old 08-09-2004, 06:03 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

scotty12 HB User

chris,
statiscally anterior approach is more successful and 3 of 4 surgeons ive seen use either an anterior or global approach when fusing to S1.thats the problem with this surgery,there are litterally dozens of methods used to fuse a spine.how do we know if were making the right choice?

anterior approach gives the surgeon a larger surface area to try and fuse as opposed to posterior but is a more traumatic operation.there should always be a vascular surgeon in the O.R. who gets the surgeon acess to the spine by retracting the spinal cord.scary stuff.......but if the sucess rate is higher then thats the way to go.IMO

have you seen more than 1 surgeon.i think you need to see 2 or 3 and ask why theyre approach is better,their success rates,etc.thats what ive done and ive decided to hold off for now but will get the TLIF done when the time comes......good luck,scotty

Old 08-11-2004, 03:31 AM   #6

ch04 HB User

Thank s to all

Yes the docs have done everthing to me and yes I have had PT and Water PT lots of drugs , Lost 3 stone ,and had eps ing,

Im also on my 3rd surg , So you could say i.v had several 2nd opions

from what I have found out fusion in most cases means that the docs takes part of the disc away ie has much has he can from ether front or back aprouch

From what I have been told this then my not always fix the problem when you have a prolasped DD Disc cus part of the disc is left , So the doc has to have you back in to do the other side

360 means thay do the lot ie do back way and them the front at the same time,RISKY have I been told for a young guy like me (age 37)

So my doc , useing a new cage ( B twin ) gos in PLIF and takes all the disc away and then puts these new cages in which then open both ways

HAS ANY ONE HAD THIS DONE ?

I am very down down at the mo
but I now I have to be very posative
my wife has been great but life just gets me down
its nice to now that you guys are out there

Thanks you again

Chris

Old 08-11-2004, 08:01 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

scotty12 HB User

chris,
although a TLIF is considered to be an invasive operation,it offers the best method to obtain a solid fusion.its considered riskier then a PLIF because the spinal cord is retracted to obtain access to the discs.a neurosurgeon usually performs this first part of the surgery then the ortho takes over and removes the bad disc.so there is a greater chance of damaging nerves.not great,greater.meaning most operations go smoothly.

the recovery is more difficult because youve been cut in front and in back.if and when i opt to have my proposed 2 level fusion, the surgeon i feel the most comfortable with will be doing a TLIF.he told me the reason he prefers TLIF is the sucess rate is higher in his experience.i spoke with 2 of his patients who are a 8 to 12 months post op a single level fusion and feeling great.i trust the surgeon but for me pain management is offering an acceptable quality of life at the present.its been difficult and there have been periods where i couldnt take the pain and was willing to have it done,but ive worked through them with support from my pain dr and an understanding wife.

i think it comes down to quality of life.if the meds offer enough relief to function,work atleast part time,sustain relationships and the benifits outweigh the side effects or dependancy issues ,which of itself is reason enough to have the surgery, then you have the option of maybe holding off in hopes of better surgical answers in the future.if your problem is putting you at risk of permanent nerve damage then you may not have much of a choice.

any surgery is risky.its a hard choice to make.i dont know myself if im doing the right thing.a chance to improve your life,but risking a failed back surgery and maybe more daily pain.

when the pain got really bad again a while back i started to see a psychologist and it really helped talking to someone who wasnt effected by my pain.i was very depressed and felt guilty that i wasnt able to be the man i once was.my wife was doing alot more, she was very supportive though.if i didnt respond well to opiates or had a hard time controlling the pain then i would have the surgery.but for me that time hasnt come......yet.

dont get so worried about sucess rates and such.if you are really suffering then i think its time to operate.most likely youll be happy you did.but you really have to say to yourself,i cant live like this anylonger.if the pain greatly affects your life the choice should be clear.
if you decide to have the surgery then hopefully and probably we wont hear from you any longer.thats a good thing......take care,scott

Old 08-11-2004, 09:34 AM   #8

ch04 HB User

Thks scott

for your words

I now what you are saying , pain is a funny one if you now what I meen !!!

I do have two kids and thats what is eating me up inside , I have missed two years of there life growing up and playing , doing all those dad things .
I realy carnt cope with not playing and running with them and picking them up and I thk if the op may help then y not

I have read lots of threads good and bad and it dos scar the ***k out of me

What r you problems m8

Chris

Old 08-11-2004, 11:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

Hi all, I'm sorry for all the pain that everyone is going through but glad to be able to relate!
I'm just gonna jump in here as I will be having a TLIF soon. It being my last hope, I know for certain that this is my only choice, I pray to god it works. I have gotton to the point that I know I CANNOT live like this any longer.
My doctor is suggesting a TLIF and in his report he states that if he cannot stabilize the nerve root from the posterior approch then he would go on the do an anterior. I'm confused about the difference between PLIF and TLIF. I thought that the spinal cord doesn't extend into the lumbar and you were saying that with TLIF, they are more in contact with it.

But, I can sympathized with you Chris. I have spent a few years this way, at 29, it's no fun for me or my fiance nor is it fair at all. I cannot get on with my life and actually cannot wait until surgery. My life pretty much came to a screaching hault with this. I will be having L4 L5 fused which has a collapsed disc and the facet are rubbing together producing bone spurs that are trapping my nerves and my mobility is ziltch!!!! I cannot move in most any way without the bone on bone pain of the facets grinding together.Sometimes I even wonder if it's possible to be out of commision for so long and if I can actually have a somewhat normal life. I've been so messed up for so long, I sometimes loose hope but know I can't. Gotta keep that positive attitude but it sometimes still leads me wonder. My body is just so 'unhealthy' and weak, I feel like I'm 101 years old!
So, I do wish you all of the luck with you surgery. I will probably be having mine sometime in October also.
Love and prayers,
Christina

Closed Thread