It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2004, 11:22 AM   #1

John1025 HB User
Pars Defect w/ Bulging Disc L5

My name is John and I am 22 years old, about a year ago I was having back pain and was diagnosed with a pars defect. Stupid me being a powerlifter conitnued to do heavy squats and about 6 months later was diagnosed with a bulging disc at L5. My question is does anyone else have this problem, I am in constant pain from my lower back to my leg. I have had 1 Nerve Block injection and a Facet Joint Block x6 wich have given me no relief. Tomorrow I am having a Discograph. I currently take Ultram(4 a day) and Lortab 5.0 (2 or 3 a day) for the pain but lately my pain management doctor has been insisiting that I have no pain in my back, almost like I have been making it up for a year and going through these injections and now contimplating spinal fusion to alleviate the pain. I was wondering if anybody has the same problem and if their pain is constant only time mine is better is when I take the medication. I am hoping someone can give me some advice.

Thanks,
John

Old 08-12-2004, 07:14 AM   #2

adaisy HB User
Re: Pars Defect w/ Bulging Disc L5

John i see that you have a pars defect. I also have been diagnosed with this termed "an absent pars interarticularis of the fifth lumbar vertabre on the right" what does that mean? I've asked my docs but have never really gotten an explanation I could understand. Maybe you can elaborate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2004, 07:38 AM   #3

John1025 HB User

The pars defect is ethier explained as cracks in the bones or bone known as(pars interarticularis) which is small segment of bone joining the facet joints in the back of the spine, Also some doctors explain it as that you are missing a bone. If you want to read more go to ************.com and search for Spondylolysis.

Old 08-12-2004, 07:48 AM   #4

Stormy01 HB User

A discograph? or a discogram? Never heard of a discograph before. I hope you've had the Ct/Myleogram and MRI first before a discogram. If not, get a new doctor asap. You don't have a discogram unless it's a last resort, as it's so excruciatingly painful to have done.

What is with doctors who get off telling someone their pain is all in their heads and there is nothing wrong with them except they are a narcotic addict? I had a doctor like that, and I went and got a new doctor, and a surgeon to back me up. They sure put that dumb so and so, who shouldn't be liscensed to practice, in his place.

Sounds like you got a sadistic, uninformed pain management doctor. Ugh. That's a scary thought.

Old 08-12-2004, 07:53 AM   #5

John1025 HB User

Thanks for the support, I had a discogram yesterday and I hurt like hell today(2 lortab do nothing for the pain). They found a tear or rupture in i beleive L4-L5 disc not sure what that means but I hurt extremely bad today. Do you know what the tear or rupture means, he said it is pressing on a nerve but not sure what all that means.

Thanks,
John

Old 08-12-2004, 08:01 AM   #6

Stormy01 HB User

It means that your disk has deformed and is no longer round, but has torn and some of the disc material is now pressing on a nerve, which is undoubtedly causing the pain in your leg/foot as you have a major nerve there that travels down your leg. I'm sorry John, but it's exactly what's wrong with me. It's not very comfortable is it?

Did the doctor recommend anything, such as surgery?

Old 08-12-2004, 01:16 PM   #7

John1025 HB User

I found out I have a Grade 4 tear of my disc that is causing it to buldge and press on a nerve. Yea it is very very uncomfortable. What have they told you to do or what have you had done? Are you on any meds?

Old 08-12-2004, 07:22 PM   #8

aackles HB User

Hi John1025, I too also have a pars defect and spondylothsis along with DDD and a pinched nerve. I have had the discogram and it was the best thing I could've done, painful, but good. I am going into surgery on the 27th and I am scared to death. I can tell you that the pain for the pars/spondy does not get any better. I am not sure how long you have had the pain but mine started with lower back and (r) leg pain. I was doing really good then the Army decided to send me to Iraq and I guess I did damage because when they sent me back I could hardly walk. I have had the injections, lots and lots of different meds, and even did the tens unit thing. The only option I have left is the two level spinal fusion. My mistake was I have had the pinched nerve in my leg for 7 years and now my doctor says I may have permanent damage. I suggest you try to get what ever is wrong fixed ASAP. I stay very active being in the Army and nothing I do unpinches the nerve. It has only gotten worse. Hope everything works out for you.

Old 08-12-2004, 07:36 PM   #9

John1025 HB User

I cannot imagine 7 years of this B.S. My pain started around a year ago while doing squats and has gotten progressively worse overtime. My doctor keeps saying that statisically the pars defect should not be causing any pain because only something like 1% of all people with pars defects have symptoms. It really makes me angry, he is essentially saying that I am making it up. The discogram was very painful but it showed that I had a grade 4 tear of my L4/L5 disc that is causing a bulge, so now maybe he will believe me when I go back and see him. Good luck on your fusion hope it works out for you.

Closed Thread