It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2004, 09:28 AM   #1
(male)

defective HB User
Dr visit not good

Had a Dr. visit yesterday he examined me real well.....he said my condition has worsened (degenerated disc at l5/s1 and its causing the vertebra to collapse) I have been going to him for about 2yrs and have tried about everything else and it helps for awhile then I have a flare up with pain and numbness.And also I have lost about all reflex in my ankle. So it has come down to the last resort : surgery..The Dr said he would do a fusion with a BAK cage .Of course like a lot of other people on here I am horrified and worried . I have heard bad things about the bak cages and fusion. but I dont believe theres anything else that can be done, I would really love to have a artificial disc, but as you know they're still not approved and insurance wont pay, and I dont think they work with collapsing verterbra... So there is not much hope for me. I have a lot of hobbies cars,music, photography and I have had to cut back some, you cant work on your hot rod if it hurts to bad to raise the hood. And on top of that I am getting married on Oct. 2nd which should be a good thing but the depression is overshadowing everything. OK I will quit whinning I know that you have heard it all before. I know a couple of people that have had fusions and have done OK and then there is others I know that have had it and had to go on disability.. I havent asked a question have I? sorry I guess I had to tell someone, what do you guys think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2004, 09:40 AM   #2

Jenna'sMom HB User
Re: Dr visit not good

Surgery is not always a bad thing. I know there are alot of people hear who decry it, but it has also really helped alot of people. It sounds perfectly reasonable to use the cages, although alot of surgeons are opting for the cadaever bone discs. I would ask him what he plans to do about the collapsed vertabrae, that sounds very worrysome. I think I saw an article in a dr.'s office about these balloon things they insert into the vertabrae to blow them back up again, crude analogy, but something like that.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Were you able to wait until after the wedding and honeymoon to have the surgery. If you have a choice, I would.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Julie

APLIF T4-S1 on july 19, 2004
Harrington rod T5 - T12 1982

Old 08-11-2004, 08:29 PM   #3

Stenosis HB User

Defective,

Why will a disk replacement not work on a collapsed vertabrae? Could you elaborate some?

I have a ruptured disk at L4-5 and I assume it will eventually collapse as well. I was hoping to have the ADR done instead of fusion. I hope the insurance companies begin covering the ADR soon.

Old 08-12-2004, 07:31 AM   #4
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Hi Defective, congrats on your upcoming wedding!!! I'm so sorry that the possibility of surgery is causing a damper on such an exciting time in your life!!
I can certainly understand how worried you are, and don't feel that you're whinning at all!! That's what we're all here for.......to support eachother through all this!! So, don't ever hold back if you need us ok??
Everyone is different, so what works for some, may not on others!! You're going to hear alot of "bad" things about surgery online, 'cause most that have done well, aren't on here any longer!!
You have to be sure that this is what you want to do, and stay possitive!! If you're having any doubts, ask as many questions as you need to and research away!! Knowledge is your best asset, and it will calm down your nerves!! If after all that, you're still having doubts, then I'd suggest waiting! You have to be 100% sure, inorder for this to go smoothly, and only you know what you're able to handle/what's right for you!! Just know that we're all behind whatever decision you make, and that we're always here for you! Take care!! ((HUGS))

Old 08-12-2004, 09:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

Defective,
I have a collapsed L4 L5. It ruptured a few years ago and now the disc has collapsed and it is pretty much bone on bone. The facets are rubbing together causing horrible pain and spurring. Every movement becomes agony.
I am also terrified of the fusion yet I know it is the last resort. I actually cannot wait until I get it cause I've been living with this pain and immobility for 3 years and I cannot deal with it anymore. I haven't lived even a somewhat normal life in so long. I'm scared that I've been out of commission for so long it's hard to picture myself "normal" again. I am just so weak and my muscles are so out of shape, I often wonder what possible. That has led me to be positive about this (yet scared and worried) but I have to believe that this will work for me and has worked for so many others.
I know what your going through. I've post poned my own wedding twice due to this crap. I kept saying I wanted to be able to dance at my reception before I got married and not it's to the point where I just need to be able to 'mingle' the whole day and perhaps have sex on my wedding night (sorry 'bout that).
So, I know what your going through, feel free to keep in contact as I will be going through this shortly!

Love and prayers,
Christina

Old 08-12-2004, 11:34 AM   #6
Inactive

Racharina HB User

Hi Defective, sorry to hear you are in so much pain. Congratulation on your wedding. I would just have surgery after the wedding. The recovery takes a long time. I had back surgery and it has helped tremendously. I still have pain, but I can manage. Of course that are bad days, but the good days outweighs the bad ones. No all people do bad after surgery.

Congratulations on your wedding!
-Raiza

Closed Thread