It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2004, 01:13 PM   #1
(male)

defective HB User
Hey Jenna'sMom

Thanks for the quick reply. You said something about "cadaver bone discs" do you mean they actually harvest the disc from a cadaver and put them in a living person? I have actually not heard of this, but it sounds great. I guess they take the discs right after a person dies before they decompose with the rest of the body. (sounds morbid doesnt it) I guess my Dr. doesnt do it because he didnt say anything about it. I would like to find a Dr. that did something other than the cages. About the collapsing vertabrae, he said that the cage and the fusion would take of it, I took him at his word, have you heard something to the contrary that it wouldnt help a collapsing vertabrae, if not then I have more prolems than I thought. Its just about my luck that the Dr. wouldnt know what he is doing. Yes he said I could wait till after our wedding... Actually my fiance is a RN that works in the recovery room of the Hospital where this Dr. operates and has known him for quite a while and has seen first hand how he is with his patients. She says he is very meticulous and says he does about 1-2 fusions a week both lumbar and cervical.... but who knows with my luck he will probably screw mine up, Oh well thats the way that it is.....Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2004, 03:09 PM   #2

Jenna'sMom HB User
Re: Hey Jenna'sMom

Okay,
first of all, stop the "with my luck crap" I am a civilian, not a doctor. I'm sure yours knows what he's doing, and if your fiance who works in the same hospital says he's good, TRUST HER! You need to have confidence in your doctor, and a positive attitude going into surgery.

As for the cadaever. It's not a cadaever disc. It is ground up cadeaver bone that is milled into the shape of a disc. It acts the same way a cage does, the only difference is that all the bones, my vertabrae and cadaever fuse into on solid mass of bone eventually. Perhaps that is not the best approach since you have a collapsed vertabrae and bad disk. My problems pre surgery were not the same.

I know this is scary, but you've got your whole life ahead of you, and a wife that's a nurse to help you after surgery. Dude, you're lucky! Now, quit whining and go plan your wedding

Jenna's Mom

APLIF T4-S1 on july 19, 2004
Harrington rod T5 - T12 1982

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2004, 05:24 PM   #3
(female)

Love2cook HB User

Julie,

You crack me up!

Elaine

Old 08-12-2004, 04:05 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Haw'nCarl HB User

My goodness...you go girl!

I have cages...six to be exact, I had and still have every confidence in all of my doctors, Julie is right, if you can't trust your doctor you're asking for trouble. When a loved one is putting trust in that doctor, you're [I]really[/I] inviting trouble if you do not show the same confidence, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise, and that would have to be strong evidence (malpractice or what have you) if you're own fiancé is endorsing him. However, this is a scary time and a decision that you must not take or make lightly either. Good Luck, and congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

Carl

Last edited by Haw'nCarl; 08-12-2004 at 04:05 AM.

Old 08-17-2004, 02:58 PM   #5
(male)

defective HB User

I didnt think it was possible to feel any worse about myself or my situation, but guess what; I do now. Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

Old 08-17-2004, 03:19 PM   #6

dustie HB User

dear defective: i'm sorry this happened to you on the board. sometimes people don't realize the effect of comments when all this is in writing and we can't see each other. i can see why you'd feel hurt, and again, i'm sorry this happened. i think -- no matter what your fiancee's opinion is -- that if you don't feel sure about the doc, you should get another opinion from another doc. or, possibly, if you asked your current doc for more information and he were obliging (as he should be), you might feel better about staying on with him. i hope these suggestions help. it is crucial that you have a trusting relationship with your surgeon; you are right to make sure that you have one before going ahead with something understandably frightening. whatever route you take, i wish you a great wedding and marriage and the best of luck with your back. please DO feel you can come here for support; there are many posters here.
dustie

Old 08-18-2004, 09:04 AM   #7

Jenna'sMom HB User

Dustie,
For the record..........If you read my other posts, you'll see that I'm very supportive and caring. I've never posted anything like that before. You also did not see my reply to the first thread that he started.

I was trying to get across to "defective" that he shouldn't trust my opinion over someone who's actually in the medical field. I believe the "posting rules" cautions people about taking medical advice from non medical people. We are all different, a solution for one doesn't neccesarily apply to another.

I was also trying to point out that his fiance is in a much better position to know about this doctor. That he's lucky he has a nurse to help him recover from surgery, and a wedding and the rest of his life to look forward too.

We all have bad days when we want to rant, or need sympathy. His attitude through all his posts was a little too "poor me" and I was trying to get him to shake that and see how lucky he was compared to some of the other people here.

So that's where I'm coming from. Take it or leave it. I won't respond to this thread or any of "defective's" threads again.

Julie

Old 08-18-2004, 10:09 AM   #8
Inactive

lisa43 HB User

Julie has a several good points and for the record, I wish I had someone that was a nurse to help ease me through the rough points though I haven't had surgery as yet and pray that will never happen. The L4/L5 disk does have tares in it with possible leakage but without further test and examinations of all kinds that can't be determined correctly. So while working with the doctors, and not neccarily saying I fully trust them, but understand that they do have far better knowledge of back problems sit. I would still feel better knowing that a nurse would be there to help me through rough points, including recovery after a surgery. I would feel blessed. There for Julie was only trying to defective to see how lucky he truly is, and his life ahead with his future wife is a blessing and he should feel greatful that he has someone so supportive and understanding in his life that can and probably will aid him in his recovery. So the attitude that he's taken about all doctors should be reviewed by only him and taken into account that his future wife has endourced this doctor, should help ease his fears abit. However your points are also valid, always ask questions even if you think the questions are lame or stupid.

Lisa

Old 08-18-2004, 11:08 AM   #9

dustie HB User

wow. can we be calm? yes, i read all that. i thought a couple of posts were hard on "defective" and so i tried to help. in my attempt, if you'll go back and read it, i said nothing negative about you, julie, or your history here or anyone else's. i hope the rest of your day goes better.
dustie

Old 08-18-2004, 02:07 PM   #10
(male)

defective HB User

I am so sorry, I guess I started all of this

Old 08-18-2004, 04:00 PM   #11
(male)

defective HB User

Sorry I pushed the wrong button on my PC, as I was trying to say, I apologize I dont know what I said to start all of this but I am sorry. I went back and looked at my original thread,and all of my others( I havent been on here long). I know I have a poor me attitude and a pessimistic attitude about Doctors in general; maybe if you knew more about me it would help everyone to understand, I wasnt going to bring this up on here but I guess I will anyway....A few years ago my father went into the hospital for back surgery( a well known back clinic here in Texas) when the operation was over we went to the waiting room while he was in the recovery ; but he never did recover, he stayed in a coma for 5 months and then died. So yes I do have a bad attitude about things, Im sorry I know I need to change and be thankful for what I have, I realize other people have it worse than me, and I am sorry if I caused any problems,So I believe I will remove myself from the boards, and become a reader only, I just dont want to be known as someone who causes problems ,I am not that way at all. I am very sorry and I sincerely apologize if I offended any one ,I am not that type of a person, I wish everyone of you good luck with all of your back problems....Thank You RODNEY

Old 08-18-2004, 06:34 PM   #12

Jenna'sMom HB User

Dear Rodney,
I'm truly sorry for your loss. You stay on the boards. What was between us was between us. This is a wonderful community for support. I'm sorry you didn't find it in me. Seriously, let's just stay away from each other here. You have as much right to be here as anyone else.

Good luck with your situation,
Julie

Old 08-19-2004, 11:47 AM   #13
Inactive

lisa43 HB User

defective,

I am sorry if I seemed harsh, but I wasn't trying to be.. and I fully agree with Julie you should stay on the board, as you will find lots of support. Might I make a slight suggestion? Will you read the posts twice before replying or posting just so everyone is clear on things. As I am sure most on here can tell you, this is a great place to be both for support, and to lend support to others. I am sorry if I did seem harsh, tis one of my bad traits.

Lisa

Closed Thread