It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2004, 04:19 PM   #1

LisaK1964 HB User
Red face odd question, but asking anyway

Hi again
Does anyone suffer from nerve pain that affects their bladder? This comes and goes when my back is really sore, but it is like a tingling sensation and it causes an urgency to go ( if you know what I mean)
I have thought many times that it is the start of a UTI, but it isn't, an I just crazy?
Lisa

Old 08-12-2004, 05:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: odd question, but asking anyway

You are not crazy! There is a post in the Pain Management section of this website describing exactly what you are referring to. She has something that is called IC or interstitial cystitis.
Here is what she posted when I asked what IC stood for:

it stands for interstitial cystitis. It is a bladder disease, incurable, yet can be manageable for some people. It mainly is that the lining of my bladder has ulcers, and bleeds at times, and my bladder is very small and scarred from having the disease. I have severe frequency and urgency, feeling like I need to go to the restroom most of the day and usually at least 8-10 times a night (on a good night...). Also there sometimes is burning pain in the urethra, like having a bad Urinary tract infection, although there usually is no bacteria. I have to "push" to go, and mostly not much there (sorry for the graphics...) Someone with IC can have chronic pelvic pain and lower back pain, and hurt "down the legs".

you can find the post in it's entire form here:
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=197734[/url]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2004, 06:31 PM   #3

dustystar30 HB User

Hi, you are not crazy, I was just diagnosed with the same thing. Inconstition (sp??) due to pain in back (back injury). I am currently taking Flomax everyday for it, helps when back is not really bad, but I still have problems when back is really bad.
Good Luck, Diane

Old 08-15-2004, 07:19 AM   #4
(male)

greensky HB User

Hi, I don't have any tingling sensation, but the more back pain I'm in the more frequent I have to go, maby once a hour and even more often when very bad.

Old 08-15-2004, 11:04 AM   #5
(female)

dpaz HB User

Lisa, have you talked to your doctor about this. When your back is messed up, and it affects the nerves in your bladder or your bowel, especially when you said "tingling", this can be VERY serious if it is related to your back problem. Please get it checked out.

Old 08-16-2004, 04:51 AM   #6

beebauser HB User

I agree with dpaz. I was always told if my back involved my bladder to seek treatment asap. I dont mean to scare you, but if it is from your back you need to let the dr. decide. call and at least tell his office of this.
good luck
bee

Old 08-16-2004, 10:48 AM   #7
Inactive

out2lunch HB User

I have basically the same problem, where when you got to go, you got to go now LOL!! And usually in large amounts, but no tingly feelings! Although, after I've gone, I have to sit for a bit still, as I feel like I'm not quite finished but I am!!
I've spoke to my drs too, 'cause I knew if you had problems going, it could be a serious sign of needing surgery! But, neither dr I've spoke to, seems too concerned at all!! They say it could have to do with my meds or the way the disc is herniated etc., but no real concern! I tend to disagree with my "gut instincts", but don't know where else to turn!!
If you do learn something, please let me know! Take care!!

Old 08-16-2004, 12:58 PM   #8
Veteran

standingman HB User

I had some "hesitancy" and some of the urgency feelings when I first injured my back. Luckily, these improved very early on, but I agree it is very important to report this to relevant docs. In a major flair, I sometimes get a brief "hint" of this. I've talked with a couple of neurosurgeons as well as neurologist about it--needless to say, I'm very concerned about bladder function. Their unanimous view was that symptoms at this level, that come and go, are more likely to be worsened by surgery than helped. At the same time, if things got progressively or significantly worse--or there was tingling and numbness through the area--that would be a situation that might well require surgery. (BTW, also saw a urologist who concurred it was almost certainly back-related. He said he sees some version of this fairly often.)

Standingman

Old 08-20-2004, 03:03 PM   #9

LisaK1964 HB User

Thank you all, I will get it checked out, I did talk to my general doctor about it and she didn't seem to concerned about it, she just nodded and wrote it down.
It probaly has a lot to do with my DDD and I really don't want to face up to the face that it is getting worse and worse...
thanks to all of you again
Lisa

Closed Thread