It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2004, 08:19 PM   #1

1short HB User
Can the Tailbone be removed?

Fellfrom 12' landing in the sitting position. It getting worse and worse-both the back pain and sitting drives me NUTS. WHen I had an EMG, the nurse told me her husband had his tailbone removed after back surguries that fail to help. She said it helped, but not completely. I've had 4 shots in the spine, and a shot in the tailbone, which did help some, but only for about a week. Any one else have this done? Is it even possible?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2004, 08:30 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: Can the Tailbone be removed?

Is it broken? Can't you just have it manipulated back in place? It is gonna be sore for a long time, you landed on it. I wouldn't think about surgery just yet. The last thing that you want is someone cutting on you.

I was sitting in a chair at work when it broke and I fell on my butt. Not as long a fall as yours but hurt like the dickens. It took time to heal after many manipulations.

How long has it been?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2004, 08:39 PM   #3

sue 99101 HB User

Had back surgery, but never heard of tailbone removed. the back surgery has helped in some ways. but my problem is sleeping, sitting, standing, and laying down. it did'nt help me.

Old 08-12-2004, 08:43 PM   #4

Jenna'sMom HB User

Have you asked a doctor this question? Are you seeing an orthapeadic surgeon? If you haven't, you probably should (no they don't always jump to a surgical solution), they're the ones that know about backs, see someone who specializes in spinal problems.

Gosh, that must of hurt like crazy. Hope you getter better soon.
Julie

APLIF T4-S1 on july 19, 2004
Harrington rod T5 - T12 1982

Old 08-12-2004, 09:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

They can in fact remove the tailbone however the surgery is rarely ever done and only done in extreme instances from what I've read.

Old 08-17-2004, 09:27 AM   #6

Jenna'sMom HB User

Kissa,
thanks for the info, though this is not my thread, I find that very interesting.

Julie

APLIF T4-S1 on july 19, 2004
Harrington rod T5 - T12 1982

Old 08-17-2004, 05:27 PM   #7

1short HB User

Thanks for the best wishes-it's been about 1 1/2 years since I fell, now work comp is sending me back to a second try at pain management-different place than the first. Problem was I came out of the first series with more pain than I started. I'm starting to think all these spine shots they give us are not REALLY very good for us. With the fall I have actually four problem areas-tailbone/L4/C4 and Thoracic which they can not hone in on the real spot yet. I will be checking all options whenever I get thru the red tape for the next series...Bugs me, July 8th or so the neurologist refered to pain management/between work comp and the clinic I still do not have an appt, 5 weeks and then they are 6 to 7 weeks booked out. They keep maxing out the drugs and you WAIT.

Old 08-24-2004, 08:03 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

1short:
Instead of pain managment see if you have an osteopath in you area who can manipulate your tailbone back into place. Also, check and see if it is your ligaments that are causing your problem.

Closed Thread