It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2003, 08:29 PM   #1

LisaM33 HB User
Unhappy Can't lift my foot

Just wondering if any of you guys have had this. Tonight I get up and sit down in the living room and I realize I can't lift my foot from the ankle part. I try and it doesn't move. It just stays straight. I'm trying not to freak out, please tell me this is just a temporary symptom of this back injury. It's scaring me Lisa

------------------
Accident at work March 24, 2003
Diagnosed with strained back and given 3 weeks PT
Continued pain -sent to neurosurgeon MRI showed bulge at L5- continued PT
May appt showed no improvement and increased weakness in right leg. Ordered Myelogram and EMG on May 28th
May appt showed no improvement and increased weakness in right leg. Ordered Myelogram and EMG on May 28th
Myelogram and EMG moved to new date/ June 19

Myelogram showed no impingement. EMG showed nerve damage to the anterior tibialis.
Have drop foot and numbness in thoughout right leg/moving sometimes to left leg.
Numbness in perineium area.
Constant pain treated with Soma and Loratab 10.5.
Was hospitalized for a week after myelogram with ringing ears and pain.
Visited neurosurgeon July 10 and told that I'm having post myelogram syndrome and he believes all my symptoms will pass.
No improvement thus far with nerve damage.

Old 05-21-2003, 08:56 PM   #2

Bcorica HB User
Hi Lisa

Please be careful! I think you need to call your doctor right away. It sounds like you have some sever nerve damage going on. I am not sure what is happening, but your doctor needs to be aware of this.

Are you having any numbness in your legs? Is your pain any worst or different? If you have any problems with going to the bathroom, such as not being able to urinate or not having any sensation to go to the bathroom, then get to the Emergency Room right away!

I have never experienced what you are going through, but I can be here to support you if you need me.

Please let your doctor be aware of what is happening. I don't think you have anything to worry about, but then again, I am not a doctor.

Please keep me posted on what happens. Good luck and I hope you feel better.

God Bless,
Brenda [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]
July 2002: EMG
Feb 2003: Prolotherapy
March 2003: Discogram, Showed left posterolateral radial tear @ L4-L5 and more diffuse annular tear @ L5-S1.
April 2003: Transforamital Injection
May 2003: Intra-Discal Injection, Finally got some relief from the hip, groin, butt and leg pain. This injection worked the best!
May 2003: Second Opinion, Doctor Suggested Disc Replacement as my only option.
May 2003: Postponed Nucleoplasty
June 2003: Went to Psychiatrist for depression.
July 2003 - Present: Trying to take one day at a time, and learning to adapt to a new way of life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2003, 09:05 PM   #3

LisaM33 HB User
Thanks Brenda: I'm trying not to start crying. I have been dealing with things pretty good, but the last few days lots of new things have been happening, all new places are becoming numb. I'm experiencing numbness on my other side as well , initially it's always been my right side.
I've noticed no problems going to the restroom. All I know is that the numbness in my leg is increasing big time. The pain is increasing in my back. Around the L5 tonight , I notice that I can't get in a comfortable position. It feels like it's burning and last night I also got upset because I had an episode of my foot getting very hot instead of the ice cold like usual. It felt like it was on fire.
I called my nurse a couple days ago and told her about the new symptoms, the heel of my foot is numb now and wasn't. The side of my right leg was numb at first , now along with the numbness they are sore to touch.
This is scaring me so bad, I'm just telling myself , don't freak out, don't freak out.
It's just weird I can strain with all my might to raise my foot from the ankle and it won't do it.

I'm going to try to calm down and I'll check back later ! Lisa

------------------

Myelogram showed no impingement. EMG showed nerve damage to the anterior tibialis.
Have drop foot and numbness in thoughout right leg/moving sometimes to left leg.
Visited neurosurgeon July 10 and told that I'm having post myelogram syndrome and he believes all my symptoms will pass.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:12 PM   #4
Inactive

BAXTER HB User
Hi Lisa,

I'm praying for you as well

I think you should make another call to the doctor or nurse tomorrow, just to be on the safe side.

I'll check back in on you tomorrow.

Please hang in there, I know it is very scary and tough, I feel like taking a chainsaw to both of my legs right now as I speak.

I hope you can get some answers.

Take Care,
Baxter [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love2.gif[/img]

------------------
Two level laminectomy fusion L5-S1 & L2-3 done on 12/6/02.
Fifteen inch scar from the very top of butt crack (sorry), to the bra line.
BAK cages, rods & screws.(Titanium)
My pelvic bone was used for grafting.
Praying that the other two discs in between, won't have to be fused later, as I was told it was a possibility, due to the other two discs in between, not being in that great of shape.
Doc didn't want to fuse four levels, unless it is really necessary.
I would hate to repeat the surgery, as the recovery period, is so very painful.
I also have a free fragment in my T11-12 area, that I'm still refusing surgery for, at this point in time.
That surgery is way too dangerous for me to consider, until if affects my being able to walk.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

franjo HB User
Cool

Lisa~

I've gradually lost my ability to lift my right foot, wiggle my toes, etc. due to the progressive nerve damage from a tethered spinal cord. Mine was gradual...from what I get from your post, yours was a sudden onset? I need to add, that although my loss was gradual, I would lose the function in phases. No changes for months, then within one week I'll notice another decline in function.

I agree with the above post, seek out a NS, if you don't have one already, as soon as possible....like yesterday!

Even if this symptom turns out to be temporary, it needs to be addressed.

I do hope the motor function in your foot returns, and more importantly, that you're able to find some answers.

God Bless~

Teri

------------------
Spina-bifida occulta; Congenital Scoliosis (dextrorotatory and 'S' curve, 42 thorasic and 57 degrees lumbar); Meningomyelocele (split cord @ L1); Diastematomyelia (re-sectioned at L2-3); tethered cord @ S-3; cysts on cord; various developmental abnormalities of the spine: narrowing of all disk spaces, defects in posterior arches, ectasia of the spinal canal and dura, segmental disease, sclerosis in L. iliac bone and adjacent sacroiliac joint, unilateral osteitis condensans ilium, hypertrophic facet disease L4-5 and L5-S1.

Surgeries include, but not limited to:
Lumbar fusion-1968
Fusion with Herrington Rod instrumentation-1970
Femoral osteotomy-1971
Tethered cord release-1987
Rod removal-1987
Chiari-type pelvic osteotomy-1988
Trochanteric osteotomy-1989
Spina-bifida occulta; Congenital Scoliosis (dextrorotatory and 'S' curve, 42 thorasic and 57 degrees lumbar); Meningomyelocele (split cord @ L1); Diastematomyelia (re-sectioned at L2-3); tethered cord @ S-3; cysts on cord; various developmental abnormalities of the spine: narrowing of all disk spaces, defects in posterior arches, ectasia of the spinal canal and dura, segmental disease, sclerosis in L. iliac bone and adjacent sacroiliac joint, unilateral osteitis condensans ilium, hypertrophic facet disease L4-5 and L5-S1.

Surgeries include, but not limited to:
Lumbar fusion-1968
Fusion with Herrington Rod instrumentation-1970
Femoral osteotomy-1971
Tethered cord release-1987
Rod removal-1987
Chiari-type pelvic osteotomy-1988
Trochanteric osteotomy-1989
Tethered cord release-2003
Fusion with instrumentation with lots and lots of screws-2003

Old 05-21-2003, 09:52 PM   #6

Maria2 HB User
Hi Lisa!
Try not to worry yourself to death. I had the very same thing happen to me one night. I sat down to fill out some paperwork, when I was done I got up and started to fall. I realized that I had no control over my foot. I was looking at it and thinking that I should be able to move it but I couldn't. It scared the poop out of me because I thought I was going to be paralized! I called my doctor right away (11p.m.)and they said it was just the nerve being irritated and no permanent damage would haappen. I also have a herniated disc at L5-S1. I would think that you might get the movement back if you try to take the pressure off of your back.

If you are feeling very uncomfortable with the situation you should call your doctor tonight just to give you some peace of mind. I would definitely call tomorrow just to let them know what is going on.

Take care and try to have a restful evening!
Be sure and let us know how things are going for you!

Mary

Old 05-22-2003, 03:24 AM   #7
Inactive

mokita HB User
Talking

Hi Lisa...

Just read your post. Let me know how you are this morning and how you make out w/ doc. I have that numb right foot thing.... it's getting worse... and my left foot is getting some tingling too.. My right foot is also tender to touch (esp around ankle) I think my nerves are irritate (more than normal w/ my two small children lol )

Ok.. gotta go, 15 mo old is awake!!!

Hope you're doing better... stay calm,sweetie.... let us know!

Karen

------------------
9/22/00 24 hour labor, baby posterior, left tailbone killing me
12/00 MRI - PCP said nothing amiss - but, had to begin taking vicodin
2/8/02 - 2nd baby born after long, painful pregnance as weight gain
2000-11/02 various PT + pain meds
11/02 Referred to Neuro
3/03 NEW MRI - shows slight bulge L3-L4,slight DDD Neuro Refers to PM for ESI
3/03 PM Doc orders ESI
3/21,4/1,4/8 - ESI's no help
5/9 - Discogram - shows Tear L4 w/ significant leak onto nerves, DDD
Doc sched NEW discogram 'cuz performing doc oversedated, False Negative

Old 05-22-2003, 05:00 AM   #8

HNPatL4L5 HB User
Lisa, When you try to walk does the foot tend to "catch" on the floor (because you can't flex the ankle to make the toes clear the floor when you step forward)? If so, you may have what is called "foot drop". This is serious enough to consider having surgery immediately. Don't worry, just take action. Tell your doctor it is an emergency. (Foot drop and loss of bowel/bladder control are the two emergencies that can happen with nerve damage.)

HNP
Nerve block mid March 2003
Microdiscectomy 4 April 2003
3 months PT (trunk stabilization)
Walk 4 miles daily from now on.

Old 05-22-2003, 06:03 AM   #9

twinkie41 HB User
Lisa,

I am sending a special prayer up for you today [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love1.gif[/img]
Janice

------------------
April 14, 2003 - L5S1 laminotomy/decompression of the spine. 5 hour surgery. One nerve almost severed by herniation, two nerves adhered together b/c of inflammation.
April 14, 2003 - L5S1 Partial laminectomy/discectomy. 5 hour surgery. One nerve almost severed by herniation, two nerves adhered together b/c of inflammation. Neurosurgeon had to reattach the almost severed nerve. He also coated the nerves that were stuck together with silicone.

May 27, 2003 - returned to work full time. The first week was agonizing.

July 1, 2003 - still having a lot of pain. The last two weeks the pain is different...it has moved to the right side, just above my hip. It is a stabbing, burning pain, very severe. I still have no feeling down the back of my left leg, the outside of my left foot and my two smallest toes. Appointment with the neurosurgeon July 8...my three month visit.

July 8, 2003 - Neuro vist. He ordered another MRI ASAP. He is sure the disc has re-herniated and will probably want to do surgery again. Either another partial laminectomy/discectomy or fusion.

July 16, 2003 - MRI With- and without-contrast - hopefully will tell us what is going on and why I am in so much pain.

July 21, 2003 - MRI results show that the disc has re-herniated on the same side and that I have "significant" scarring. The neuro doesn't want to wait until August 5 to see me. I have an appointment next Tuesday. (July 29)

August 5, 2003 - Going crazy with worry. I have never been as scared of anything as I am this surgery!

August 13, 2003 - Scheduled for surgery. Fusion with a cage, rods, screws and bone marrow from my hip.

Old 05-22-2003, 08:13 AM   #10

BackWoes Lisa HB User
Unhappy

hi Lisa

I agree with the foot drop theory

I have had partial foot drop since my initial injury. And it is caused by nerve damage or pressure. Had you been sitting in a funky position for awhile??? Mine seems to get worse when I sit rather than lay.
When you call your Dr he will realize that this is serious.
ANd it is all joined together to your area of the back you hurt.
ALl the feelings that a nerve can have hot cold tingling pressure can happen falsely. i have that all the time. I even have the feeling of someone pouring water on my legs.
But don't panic about this. getting uptight and tense will make the symptoms worse.
Keep a pain and symptom diary so you can explain it all to your dr.

good luck

L

Old 05-22-2003, 08:37 AM   #11

ReneeRAF HB User
Lisa. You should call doctor right away. Even if it is not serious, you should let them know. They will be able to guide you. The drop foot theory is what is sounds like to me also. I have a friend who had that happen and they did surgery immediately.

If it is caught, some people recover fine. Just call the doctor and advise him of any changes!!

Good luck
Renee

Old 05-23-2003, 05:20 AM   #12

buffwill HB User
Hi Lisa,
Im a healthy fit 37 year old and over the Christmas '02 Holiday I was lifting boxes out of our attic when my lower back went out on me.

It turned out that I had a herniated/fragmented L-4 L-5 disk. Althought he paon was sever, the scary part was that I lost feeling beginning in a portion of my lower leg and extending down into my left foot. It caused what is know as "Drop Foot". Once I explained the syptoms to two different doctors they wanted me to have surgery right away. I chose a physician and had a Lumbar Disectomy on 1-22-03. My back has been great ever since but it is taking a while for the feeling in my foot to return. Dr. told me it may take 6 mos or more. The surgery certainly was a good choice for me. It was not that invassive and I was up and around the next day.
Dont panic, but do get someone to check you out. Best of luck to you.
Will

Old 05-27-2003, 07:35 AM   #13
(female)

seeksbliss HB User
Hi Lisa and Buff,
I'm recuperating from surgery as of May 1, almost a month ago for a dropped foot and L4-5 microdisectomy. I had surgery, not because of pain, but because of the leg/foot problems. They ran a nerve test with needles on my leg and did an MRI, then three doctors told me to have surgery. I have had NO improvement as of yet,which is frustrating, but as Biff said, the doctor told me it may take 3-6 months to know if I'm going to improve. Meanwhile, I wear a leg/foot brace to help me walk better and not fall easily. This surgery wasn't nearly as bad as my hysterectomy surgery where they had to cut my stomach open up and down with an 8 inch scar. I am recuperating much better and faster than I anticipated. I just hope something great comes out of this for my foot, but they said even if foot doesn't improve, you HAVE to get the disk off your nerve or as
HNPat said on her post, it could start causing bowel/bladder control problems. Stay focused and take care! I went to a nuerologist first (cuz they can't offer to cut on you), but he told me I needed surgery anyway.....then I got the opinion of two neurosurgeons.
Best wishes!

------------------
1987-2003=L4-5 herniated disc that only flared up once or twice a year causing back & leg pain. No pain rest of time.
L4-5 disc ruptured worse & broke in March 2003 = dropped foot, plus leg/ankle numbness & weakness for 2 months.
Hemilaminectomy/Microdiscetomy May 1, 2003.
Age 50

Old 05-27-2003, 09:44 AM   #14

LisaM33 HB User
Hey guys, sorry I didn't post back to this sooner. There's just so much going on with me. I was injured the end of March and I swear new things just keep happening.

I called my nurse about my foot and they are very concerned and anxious to see what the two new tests show tomorrow( EMG and Myelogram). I guess we'll go from there. I had even complained a few weeks ago about hurting in my upper back as well and now today my pinkie finger on my left hand is losing sensation. How many more numb places am I going to get?

Can someone answer my question of why do all these little things not happen the day of the injury,,, why does it take them awhile to show themselves? Is it a result of the nerve getting more irriated? I'm just upset,,,, my right leg and foot and toe are enough why my arm too ?

OH well I won't rant here,,,,, I'm very frustrated today and I'm stressing over the procedures tomorrow. The nurse from the myelogram place called and told me to take all my medicine before the test. She said not the neurontin though. Only the Skeelaxin and the Loratab..... I don't think that will relax me enough during the test lol..... I want iv demoral or something <laughing> Okay well I will post back as soon as I get the results from my tests. Hanging in there the best way I know how. Lisa

------------------

Old 05-27-2003, 10:31 AM   #15
(female)

seeksbliss HB User
Lisa,
Sorry, I'm not much help, but your story sounds like mine. I reruptured my disk in mid march this year. After 15 with a ruptured disk L-5 that hardly ever caused back pain, and years of off and on of sciatic nerve leg pain, I didn't think much of it, cuz it never made me limp and always went away within a week. However, this time, it effected my foot....since a week after my injury in March, I can't curl my toes or flex my foot and have a lot of ankle weakness, so I limp pretty badly. Plus I had numbness in foot and leg for the first time, so I knew something was different. I too, had an EMG.....for some reason, that didn't bother me much, even when she *****ed me in the places where I had feeling in my leg. Then we did MRI and they said the disk broke in two and was pressing on nerve ROOT. As for your question about why the pain and foot problems didn't show up immediately......they never have for me, either, in all these years. It somehow takes days or weeks for the nerves to bother me, but many times, it's repairable. Keep us posted so we know what you learn from the doctors, ok? Best of luck and do what you have to do to get better.

------------------
1987-2003=L4-5 herniated disc that only flared up once or twice a year causing back & leg pain. No pain rest of time.
L4-5 disc ruptured worse & broke in March 2003 = dropped foot, plus leg/ankle numbness & weakness for 2 months.
Hemilaminectomy/Microdiscetomy May 1, 2003.
Age 50

Closed Thread