It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2003, 04:52 PM   #1

SabrinaMNOLA HB User
Post Spondilo/MRI/Neural Foraminal Narrowing Questions

Greetings all:

I had a question (or two) that I thougt someone here may be able to help with...

Was diagnosed years ago (from a regular x-ray) with spondylosis and Grade 1 spondilolisthesis at L4/5 and S1. I had an MRI a couple of weeks ago and just got the written report which says:

"L5-S1 pars interarticularis defect. At l5-1 there is moderate to severe right neural foraminal narrowing and mild to moderate left neural foraminal narrowing. No significant spinal stenosis is present at L5-S1".

Now, on to the question(s).... The MRI report doesn't mention either of the spondilos. Does this mean that spondilo(s) only show up on regular X-rays and not on an MRI? was I misdiagnosed originally? Is the MRI language another way of saying one or the other of the spondilo(s)? I do have an appointment with my ortho doc in a couple of days, but figured I'd ask here and see if anyone had any insight. Oh yeah...what the heck is a "pars interarticularis defect" and what is 'neural foraminal narrowing'?

THanks so much if anyone has any info!

Sabrina

Old 10-22-2003, 07:30 AM   #2
(female)

debbiel HB User
Hello,
I cant answer all your questions, but I can tell you that both my spondylolis and spondylolisthesis both showed up on the mri, I could also see the spondylolisthesis on the x-ray, but not near as good as the mri showed it. good luck, Debbie

------------------
spondylolysis, Grade I spondylolisthesis,L5-S1 bulging dehydrated disc, nerve damage in both legs.
Sept. 25th 2003 Tyler, Texas had Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion with peek cages.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2003, 10:05 AM   #3

oakleygirl HB Useroakleygirl HB Useroakleygirl HB Useroakleygirl HB Useroakleygirl HB Useroakleygirl HB Useroakleygirl HB Useroakleygirl HB User
Sabrina-
I, too, have foraminal narrowing. I believe the foramin is where the nerves exit the spinal cord. Both my X-Rays and MRI confirm my retrolisthesis - (the slippage is backwards).

Let us know what your Ortho says..

O'Girl

------------------
20 years intermittent back pain - no treatment sought
Nov 2001 - herniated disk - Right leg radiculopathy
Jan 2002 - Chiropractic care
Mar 2002 - MRI, X-Rays, Oral steroids
Apr 2002 - L4/L5 Microdiskectomy
Sept 2002 - PT, Oral steroids
Oct 2002 - MRI, Xrays - Failed Back Syndrome
Apr 2003 - TFESI, EMG, MRI
Diagnosis - DDD - foraminal narrowing, disk bulges, osteophytes, ligamentum flavum hypertrophy, active marrow edema, levoscoliosis, retrolisthesis, scar tissue encompassing L5 nerve root, disk height diminished, abnormal EMG results for left leg
Sept 2003 - Discogram with Xrays, CT Scan.
Tentative date: Nov.18 - 2 level 360 degree fusion surgery

Old 10-22-2003, 10:07 AM   #4

oakleygirl HB Useroakleygirl HB Useroakleygirl HB Useroakleygirl HB Useroakleygirl HB Useroakleygirl HB Useroakleygirl HB Useroakleygirl HB User
Oops, I forgot to add that I read someone's response just recently that did a great job describing a pars defect. Do a search on those words, and maybe you'll be able to find it.

O'Girl

Closed Thread