It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2004, 07:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
how do back problems affect the reproductive system in women?

I won't repeat my back issues as I have already over done so, if you want to read up on my problem I have two posts under mel1977-three or four pages back. I wanted to know if any women out there have experienced changes with their reproductive organs like ovaries and uterus including pain, irregular periods or abnormal discharge due to back injury. Any help would be great. I don't know if I have an abnormal issue or not, so I thought I would check here before running to my PCP. Thank you in advanced-melissa

Old 08-15-2004, 12:28 AM   #2

Jenna'sMom HB User
Re: how do back problems affect the reproductive system in women?

mel,
Just had 2 level fusion 4 weeks ago L4-S1, in the post surgery instructions my doctor's office provided, they did say that some women will experience more painful periods after surgery. But I think that's only temporary. Haven't heard of anything else. But if you've had an anterioir approach (I did) where they're taking organs out and putting them back in, I guess anything is possible.

Good luck, if you find out anything conclusive, let us know.
Julie

APLIF T4-S1 on july 19, 2004
Harrington rod T5 - T12 1982

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2004, 01:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I am on depo and never in the ten years I have been on it had a period unless I was late getting my shot. Last month I had a period a month before the next injection was due. I have been having pain on the left side of my pelvic region (near ovaries) and have discharge that is not normal in color. Could be something else, but I don't want to make a big deal out of nothing, ya know?

Old 08-15-2004, 05:13 PM   #4

Jenna'sMom HB User

Mel,
That doesn't sound good. Get thee to a gynecologist

Take Care,
julie

Old 08-15-2004, 05:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

julie, thank you, I think I will. Should I see a gyno or just my primary doc? Also,it is pulling teeth to get the results of my MRI from the back dr. Do you think if I had the radiology place send the results to my primary that she may give them to me? I understand she can't diagnose or give me treatment options or even really talk to me about it, but I am very familiar with the verbology of such reports. I just want to know if it says anything about a re-herniation. I know I will have to call and ask her, but I thought I'd shoot this out there anyway. She could tell me the results and see me regarding this discharge and pain issue too.

Old 08-15-2004, 06:59 PM   #6

Jenna'sMom HB User

Mel,
I'd go to your gyno, but keep your pcp aprised. The odd color discharge is the red flag in my mind.

As for the MRI. You are legally entitled to call the place where you had the MRI and get a free copy of the report. My place also burned the MRI onto a CD for me at no charge. Although if I wanted actual films, they were $15 a pop.

Let me know what happens,
Take Care,
Julie

Old 08-15-2004, 07:57 PM   #7

Stormy01 HB User

After four years now of constant pain and narcotics use, and the failed IDET, I no longer have a period. I've had every test in the book done including biopsies, and all have come clean. It is a bit odd as I'm "only" 44, and usually a woman's change doesn't happen that early. However, as everything else is working fine, and all tests came out clean and normal, we've decided not to worry about it. I will just have a uterine biopsy every year to make sure nothing funky is going on, along with a round of blood tests. I can honestly tell you I don't mind, I truly don't miss it. heh.

But I never had any pain or discharge. That worries me and I think you need to get to a gyno asap. Just to be sure.

Old 08-15-2004, 09:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I don't have a gyno though, my PCP does my PAP smears and stuff. Do I need to find a gyno then?
Right there with you on not missing periods. My depo has kept me pretty much free of periods since I was 16 (almost 27 now). the only time I have had a period is when I had stopped my shots due to either when I broke my leg in 2001, or when I was off for six months since I didn't have insurance. I hated having it again. My PCP is aware that I had a suprise period last month (very irregular for me) but we both agreed it was probably due to the fact that I was under a lot of stress with the neck and back pain, and what ever else was stressing me at that time.

Old 08-15-2004, 10:13 PM   #9

Jenna'sMom HB User

I guess your pcp can do some cultures to see what the discharge is all about. You need to find out the cause of that.

I agree, that periods missed or too soon can be due to stress. I'm 4 weeks post op and a week overdue for one, but I figure my body went through alot of stress and I am perimenopausal.

Good luck Mel,
Julie

Old 08-16-2004, 08:13 AM   #10

Stormy01 HB User

You will need a gyno for the biopsies that can be done right in the room. No need for hospitals or anything for it, but they aren't comfortable.

Most HMO's will allow this pap and such once a year with no cost to you but a co-pay.

Seriously, with an odd discharge, get a pap and get a biopsy and make sure nothing is happening. Definately talk to you pcp and see if maybe she/he might be able to do the biopsies. They are just a matter of getting some tissue samples of the uterine lining to send to the lab for analysis and some blood work to make sure a gland is functioning properly. Please don't wait on this.

/hugs

Stormygale

Last edited by Stormygale; 08-16-2004 at 08:14 AM.

Old 08-16-2004, 11:10 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

My only concern is that insurance won't pay for it since I had a pap in Feb. My hubby and I are getting swamped already with hospital bills (I had ingrown nails removed, owe 261, he had a cyst removed on his testicle, that is 450, and I am not currently working-short term dis. I guess I can call and see if they can get approval from the ins company first so I don't get a bill for three hundred bucks. I know that $ shouldn't be a reason to NOT get something checked out, but we can only handle so much at a time, ya know? Just got up, I will call my doc soon.

Old 08-16-2004, 12:08 PM   #12

Jenna'sMom HB User

Mel,
I can totally relate to the doctor bills. They should approve it, unusual discharge is not good, and clearly an indicator of something wrong. Call them, I'm sure they'll agree.
Julie

Old 08-16-2004, 06:10 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I have an appt tomorrow. We shall see.....

Old 08-16-2004, 06:13 PM   #14

Jenna'sMom HB User

So do I, different things, but I hope we both get good results.
Julie

Closed Thread