It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2004, 05:46 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
MRI results-HELP please

You know my story by now, so here is what the MRIs said:
Cervical spine:
C5-6; there is a focal posterior protrusion identified resulting in a moderate central canal stenosis.
Loss of normal lordosis

Lumbar spine:
L4-5; Minimal diffuse disc bulge is seen with significant central canal and neural foraminal stenosis.
L5-S1; Diffuse disc bulge is seen as well as a posterior annular tear without significant central canal or neural foraminal stenosis.
Degenerative disc changes seen at L4-5 and L5-S1, predominantly L5-S1 where there is disc bulge and posterior annular tear.

My Xray also showed the posterior spur at L5-S1.

I understand the bulge as I have had that before and partially removed at L5-S1, the rest is new. Please share if you have had any of this and what was done or recommended. I also know what the spur is and the stenosis, but don't know what that all means for me when put together.
Thank you, I appreciate your help.
Melissa

Old 08-16-2004, 05:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: MRI results-HELP please

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Cervical spine:
C5-6; there is a focal posterior protrusion identified resulting in a moderate central canal stenosis.
Loss of normal lordosis[/COLOR]

Bulging disc and narrowing.
Could be normal aging. Is it painful? What have they suggested as a line of treatment?

[COLOR=Magenta]Lumbar spine:
L4-5; Minimal diffuse disc bulge is seen with significant central canal and neural foraminal stenosis.
L5-S1; Diffuse disc bulge is seen as well as a posterior annular tear without significant central canal or neural foraminal stenosis.
Degenerative disc changes seen at L4-5 and L5-S1, predominantly L5-S1 where there is disc bulge and posterior annular tear.[/COLOR]

Again, as you know, narrowing. Significant means serious.
The tear is not good, but the best part is that tears heal in time. About 18 months.

L5/SI: You have a bulge, but no *significant* stenosis there, which is good. Again, the tear will heal. They can be very painful if they leak. Not all tears leak.

DDD is normal. As we age, our bodies age.

Everyone ends up with spurs. If it is not involed in the tear and it is not hooking a nerve, then it is fine. Spurs desolve on thier own and come back sometimes when they are removed. They form after an injury or repetitive motion.

Unless your stenoisis is bad, you have to let time heal your tear. Sometimes stenosis requires surgery to open up the space, sometimes not. It all depends on the nerve factor.

My Xray also showed the posterior spur at L5-S1.

Your main concern right now is to educate yourself as much as possible in regard to the word *stenosis*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2004, 06:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: MRI results-HELP please

thank you, I will do just that.

Closed Thread