It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2004, 10:21 AM   #1

LK77 HB User
Cortizone Injections In Spine

Hello Everyone!

My mother is scheduled to have two cortizone injections into her spine this week. They will be putting her under because they say it is extremely painful. Has anyone had this done? If so, can you tell me what she can expect? I'm also curious if she will be needing any help afterwards and if so, how long.

Any input or information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 08-17-2004, 03:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User
Re: Cortizone Injections In Spine

I've never had them nor will i! But a woman once told me its as painful as giving birth!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2004, 04:54 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User

I've had an epidural/si combo...haven't heard of a "double" injection. It is painful, especially when 2 are done. And, the pain will last for a day or 2. Hopefully, though, it'll last for a bit and give her relief. Mine usually last 3 weeks.

She also needs to use injections sparingly...more than 3 or 4 a year will typically result in muscle degeneration and bone loss. Since my pain's worse in the winter, I save my injections for then.

I've never been put under...they usually use flouroscopy to guide the injection. I wish her well, and hope this gives her some relief.
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Old 08-17-2004, 06:08 PM   #4
(female)

BobiM HB User

[QUOTE=LK77]Hello Everyone!

My mother is scheduled to have two cortizone injections into her spine this week. They will be putting her under because they say it is extremely painful. Has anyone had this done?
Thank you! [/QUOTE]

I have had them. When I had my first one done in my small hick town here in NE PA, the shot was terrible. Then I went to the Spine Clinic in Philly and I hardly felt it at all since they do so many of them every day. I had a total of 7 injections - 4 were the real thing (cortisone) and the others were test injections of Novacaine (or whatever numbing solution they used) to see exactly where the pain was coming from since I had a few involved disks. If they inject the Novacaine and there was no relief then they knew it wasn't coming from the level where they injected it.

This way they don't needlessly inject. They found the vertebra and the shot worked for 2 weeks so I went for a second and third. The latter two did not work.

After the first shot that I had done here in my hometown I hurt for about 8 days, but no one needed to take care of me or anything even close to that. It just plain hurt and I moved slower. That was about it.

Bobi

Old 08-18-2004, 07:34 AM   #5

LK77 HB User

Thank you all for your replies. From what I am understanding here, it sounds like she will not get relief from these shots for very long. Will the cortizone really only last for a few weeks? She is in soooooo much pain. I was hoping that this would at least help her for a little while until she has her next surgery. She is supposed to be going in to have a rod put in her back. Anyone have experience with this? I just pray that she will get some sort of relief soon. It is so hard to see her in so much pain all of the time.

Closed Thread