It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2004, 12:11 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
Question Got results from 3rd MRI... Can anyone help understand it?

Hi Everyone...

I went to my Neuro today and got the result of my 3rd MRI.... he basically said that it looks like a typically normal MRI and that he does not know why I am having this pain....keep in mind, he never looked at the MRI Report.. Only the films...

This is what the MRI REPORT said:

[B]FINDINGS:

NONENHANCING EPIDURAL ABNORMAL SIGNAL POSTERIOR LEFT PARACENTRAL TO THE DISC SPACE, [B]3MM[/B] IN DIAMETER, [B]TOUCHING LEFT S1 NERVE [/B] WITH NO MASS EFFECT ON THE DESCENDING NERVE ROOT SLEEVE, NO THECAL SAC. NO COMPRESSION OF EXITING RIGHT OR LEFT L5 NERVE.

IMPRESSION:

1. STATUS POST L5-S1 SURGERY WITH SUSPECTED RECURRENT/RESIDUAL POSTERIOR LEFT PARACENTRAL DISC HERNIA [B]TOUCHING THE DESCENDING LEFT S1 NERVE,[/B] WITHOUT SIGNIFICANT MASS EFFECT OR COMPRESSION ON DESCENDING NERVE ROOT SLEEVE, THECAL SAC, OR EXITING NERVE ROOT SLEEVE.[/B]

Can anyone please explain this to me in english so I can get a better understanding of it, because I tried to get him to explain it and he basically said that everything looked fine..... He is sending me for a Epidural Steroid shot not sure when, they will call me back with the appointment date and time....I am a bit afraid of the shot, since I have heard it is quite painful.

Please, anyone that can give me some insight... HELP?

Thanks All...

Old 08-17-2004, 11:45 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: Got results from 3rd MRI... Can anyone help understand it?

He is sending you for the shot to get the inflammation down and it is the easiest route for him and insurance pays for it. You would think that he would start you out with PT and an anti-inflammatory. The shot is diagnostic. If the pain does not subside then he can move onto to something else.

The part about touching the nerve sleeve would worry me. I would request a Neurologist and an EMG.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2004, 12:19 AM   #3

urmyss1 HB User

Hello
I broke my back 6 yrs ago, broke t-12 and fractured neck. I am 26 yrs old. I have had a epidural shot, it is really not all that painful, just pressure, they localize it first. But make sure you know the SIDE EFFECTS, they did not tell me until they gave me the shot, anywhere from a rash to death. I was supposed to go back a have another, but I found out i was pregnant. So teh ggo lord was telling me something that day. cause if i would have taken it , it would have killed the fetus.
I know where you are coming from, i have severe back pain 24/7, i have 5 yr-19month old, i cant do a hole lot, so iam lucky i have them, and just love them, so i deal with the back pain.

I hope you dont have to, i hope you can find something to subside the pain.

Hope all goes well
Trisha

Old 08-18-2004, 01:20 AM   #4

dodgelady7 HB User

Poterior means back
Left of the central (paracentral)
3mm diameter meaning size of it
Touching the S1 nerve
Basic meaning you have an abnormality of a disc 3mm in size it is touching the S1 nerve probably irritating it but not compressing the roots.
A hernia in the disc.
Interpretations can vary.
I would find another neurologist I have two herniated discs. I to was told that discs don't cause pain but the nerves they irritate or compress do. I would have to find another neurologist and request further testing nerve studies etc. MRI's do not always give the real picture of what is going on. Its yur body you know what you feel. Don't let them ignore your complaints.

Old 08-18-2004, 05:58 AM   #5

colleen b HB User

Urmyssi (Trisha),

I have a question concerning pregnancy and back pain. Were you able to take any medications during your pregnancy? If not, how did you handle the pain? I have 2 little boys and really want one more. I am 39, so my clock is definately ticking! Thank you in advance for your help!

Colleen

Old 08-18-2004, 07:28 AM   #6
Veteran

standingman HB User

Re: EMG, they probably wouldn't do one unless there was evidence of potential nerve function--meaning weakness, diminished reflexes, muscle atrophy, etc.. Pain, in itself, is not usually an indication for the test, nor are MRI results without the other symptoms.

Standingman

Old 08-18-2004, 07:32 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=injured betty]He is sending you for the shot to get the inflammation down and it is the easiest route for him and insurance pays for it. You would think that he would start you out with PT and an anti-inflammatory. The shot is diagnostic. If the pain does not subside then he can move onto to something else.

The part about touching the nerve sleeve would worry me. I would request a Neurologist and an EMG.[/QUOTE]

Hi Betty...

Thanks for your response....Actually he has had me on several different kinds of Anti inflamatories... Medrol Does Pak... Bextra... Vioxx.... non has worked.... this is all since my surgery on 6/2..... discectomy/laminectomy....at L5-S1....He told me he does not send his people for PT... says he never has... just has them walk walk walk.....when I went yesterday he told me that basically nothing was wrong.. that it was a normal MRI......but it is obvious from the MRI report that something is touching a nerve at S1....and I know because of the pain....When I ask what was causing the pain... he basically said..."I don't know"....Thanks again...

You said to request a neurologist.... He is a Neurologist....

Thanks Again....Take Care

Old 08-18-2004, 07:41 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=standingman]Re: EMG, they probably wouldn't do one unless there was evidence of potential nerve function--meaning weakness, diminished reflexes, muscle atrophy, etc.. Pain, in itself, is not usually an indication for the test, nor are MRI results without the other symptoms.

Standingman[/QUOTE]

Hi.... Actually I do have diminished reflexes and weakness in my right leg....my muscles twitch and crawl like they are going to jump out of my leg.. sometimes both legs.....but yesterday when I went and saw him he didnt even check all that... he did about 3 weeks prior, but everything has gotten worse since then... he basically looked at my MRI films... said they were normal... said..."I dont know why you are having pain" "lets send you for a Epidural Steroid Injection...That will fix it..." and sent me on my way...Would it do any good to go back and talk to the Orthopedic Surgeon that referred me to the Neuro in the first place? maybe he can explain things a bit more...

Thanks Alot.

Old 08-18-2004, 08:08 AM   #9
(female)

ThinBones HB User

Hello fellowTexan. I am fairly new to this whole back pain thing and it is probably the most distressing, depressing thing I have dealt with for a long time. What I can say, I don't like or trust too many doctors but there are also some really good ones out there. You know your body, it has to move and be in shape to function at its optimum but when something is wrong, you have to be your own strong advocate. Pain is still something doc's don't deal well with, even the ones who specialize. Don't lose faith! My pain is very positional and it takes about 3 hours every morning before I can do anything. I have not even ready the paper in over 2 weeks as I just can't concentrate due to the pain. I am always looking for that comfort space. Anyway, good luck and keep on looking. I am north of Houston area, where are you in Texas anywhere near the Med. center????

Old 08-18-2004, 02:07 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=ThinBones]Hello fellowTexan. I am fairly new to this whole back pain thing and it is probably the most distressing, depressing thing I have dealt with for a long time. What I can say, I don't like or trust too many doctors but there are also some really good ones out there. You know your body, it has to move and be in shape to function at its optimum but when something is wrong, you have to be your own strong advocate. Pain is still something doc's don't deal well with, even the ones who specialize. Don't lose faith! My pain is very positional and it takes about 3 hours every morning before I can do anything. I have not even ready the paper in over 2 weeks as I just can't concentrate due to the pain. I am always looking for that comfort space. Anyway, good luck and keep on looking. I am north of Houston area, where are you in Texas anywhere near the Med. center????[/QUOTE]

Hey there back at ya fellow Texan..... I am in Austin....I can agree completely that the whole back thing is distressing and depressing.... I have been dealing with it for about a year now... finally had my discectomy/hemilaminectomy on 6/2.....was completely pain free felt great except for the typical post surgical pain... but two weeks post op... and the pain started up again... but its different then before the surgery... prior to surgery it was in my lower back... buttocks... thigh and calf on the right... now it is lower back.. radiates into my upper back... hips.... sometimes buttocks... calf ...and my right foot gets pain so bad feels like it is going to fall off... or makes me wish it would... LOL! also have the horrible burning pain...in my legs... arms go numb.. and have burning in them as well... and both my legs ache all the time...pretty much my only comfortable position is laying flat on my back... turning in bed is very painful... getting up is horrible.. and walking and sitting are equally horrible...now neuro is sending me for the Epidural Steroid Injection and I am quite scared of that...... Thanks for your response... Keep in touch.. always a comfort to have someont to talk to that can relate....Take Care..

April

Old 08-18-2004, 05:57 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

We have a doctor, Neurologist who will do whatever tests you ask for. In pain, EMG. How can you have pain and not have a nerve involved? Are nerves the pathway to the brain that transmit pain? I am not following you.

You would think that the Neurologist would sugget an EMG right away. Forget the shot. Tell him no. Something is causing the pain. The way that I understand it is that something causes inflammation, the inflammation causes pain. The nerves relate the pain to the brain. The EMG rules in or out the place that the pain is coming from, which nerve.

I was reading a site that shall remain nameless that stated that every back patient who has surgery should be on aggressive PT for the rest of their lives if they don't want to have surgery again. Makes sense to me.

Old 08-18-2004, 11:24 PM   #12

urmyss1 HB User

[QUOTE=colleen b]Urmyssi (Trisha),

I have a question concerning pregnancy and back pain. Were you able to take any medications during your pregnancy? If not, how did you handle the pain? I have 2 little boys and really want one more. I am 39, so my clock is definately ticking! Thank you in advance for your help!

Colleen[/QUOTE]

hey
i didnt have any back pain when i was pregnant, pregnacy puts a natural arch in your back relieving the pressure off of the disk, no iwas not able to take any meds except of cours insulin, i was gestastional diabetic (sucks), be caeful the older ya get the more chances of diabetes, just a suggestion.
talk to your obgyn about your pain and see if there will be a problem
good luck
trisha
sorry for the sloppiness, baby on lap

Old 08-19-2004, 10:35 AM   #13
(male)

mpullee HB User

left nerve S-1. I've got the same thing only to the right side (S-1), also tears (180 degrees). Add a small tear L-4 L-5. Epi shots are temp fix (2-3 weeks) but have them done. Next is the discogram (it's not bad, don't listen to the neg. posts). Next will be prob. an IDET or a fusion. Do the IDET with a QUALIFIED doctor, it shoul buy you 2-5 yrs......good luck...

Closed Thread