It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #91
(female)

SAP2008 HB User
Re: Post surgery tips... question

Mimi, yes it's helpful... my husband suggested something to do something like that... even before surgery my biggest mistake causing flare ups was that I forget not to sit for long... I was so used to being in pain that I did not even bother with it... Thanks!

Old 06-12-2009, 06:25 AM   #92
(female)

jomurray HB User
Re: Post surgery tips... question

Dear SAP
What type of work do u do? I had a discetomy and wallis implant procedure 10 weeks ago and still would not be fit for work and my surgery is not as severe as your fusion. I can only sit for 10 mins at a time. Does your doctor think you are fit to go back to work?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2009, 06:21 AM   #93
(female)

SAP2008 HB User
Re: Post Surgery Tips

Jomurray,

I had my last post op at six weeks; at that point I couldn't sit more than 10 min. at a time and I was also having pain in both legs when in bed. My doctor said that everything in the x-ray looked ok -no sign of fusion yet- and that all my symptoms were normal.

Since then I've been getting better and better. Now (almost 8 weeks post op) I can sit for longer periods but sitting is the one thing that puts so much pressure I have to always get up and take a few steps at least. I'm actually working from home so for the last week I'm able to sit and use my laptop on the table -constantly getting up- at first I was doing everything laying down. Now it's just a matter of time so that I can be ready to take mass transit and commute to work. Eventhough I feel better and I'm up doing things at home I have days that I just need to be in bed and rest.

What have your doctor said? I always had to remember that I had major surgery and my body needed lots of rest. But most especially everybody heals at a different pace, be patient ;-)

SAP

Old 07-31-2009, 11:15 AM   #94
(male)

SayAgain HB User

Hi SAP,
I had fusion and laminectomy of L4-L5-S1 in July 2004, made them go back in in Jan 2005 because my legs were still experiencing tingling and numbness. Had no pain or problems recovering, and the surgery lasted about 3 1/2 years. I am now almost 4 months post op for fusion replacement and adding L3-L4. Am now fused L3-S1. Once again had no problems with pain since surgery (except I went back in 2 weeks after surgery for a massive hematoma). Surgery once again has taken away the lightning like pains that shot down my legs, and I am grateful for that. yet at only 4 months, I get alot of tightness after sitting in excess of 30 min, or standing for a similar length of time. Alot of this "discomfort" I think could be scar tissue. My surgeon also reminded me that even though staples have been removed on the exterior, there were 2-3 layers of stitches inside where muscles were stitched back together that could cause this discomfort. Keep that in mind as you heal. My surgeon says, regardless of what type of surgery you have, you can figure 9-12 months for total healing. HANG IN THERE! IT WILL BE OK.

SayAgain

Old 08-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #95
(female)

Sancha HB User
Cool Re: Post Surgery Tips

Thank you sooo much for the post surgery tips. I am 5 weeks from surgery and still in a lot of pain....and depressed. I am 72 and have lived with the pain for at least 10 years. The OT in the hospital helped me a lot with some tools, i.e. grabber, sock puller-on, long handled shower sponge, etc. My daughter put velcro on my grabber with several spots in the house also velcroed so I can put it where I need it during the day. The shower bars helped also and she put my sofa up on blocks so it is easier to rise from. I put a bag on my walker by my bed to move things from place to place easily. Am just hoping I can get some sort of normalcy in the future. Can't afford a house cleaner so the dogs and I just sort of muddle thru as best we can. A Swiffer Wet Jet is a good investment for my wood and tile floors. Am trying not to get depressed, but at my age there is not a lot to look forward to when disabled.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:19 AM   #96
(female)

mce HB User

hey thanks for tips, im having op soon and i appreciate your post
mce

Old 11-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #97
(female)

coollucy07 HB User

I had lumbar fusion surgery and spinal stenosis repair Apri 2009, went back for my 6 month checkup in Oct., my surgeon told me I could do just about anything I wanted to. This the end of Nov. and I was helping my husband with putting up wooden fencing for horses and cleaning up area, a lot of bending and some lifting when I started having pain right side of lower back , also by that evening, both my legs were swelled at knee level to my ankles. I called my surgeon and he called in medication and scheduled tomography of both legs to check for blood clots. What do you guys think? Has anyone out there had these problems post-op?

Old 12-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #98
(female)

mckinney HB User

hi this is mckinney had surgery in may. anterior and posterior fusion. since surgery i now have a L3 fracture will go back to surger to repair it. and after 6 months and every thing has heal. then after that will have to have a right hip replacement because after the surgery still could not walk and they said that i need a total right hip replacement.so after L3 surger will have hip replacement..back and hip still hurts bad...once this is over
and no more complication and will be able to go back to work in a year..so it took so long to let every body know how the surgery went but stayed in the hospital for the whole summer..will keep you posted soon L3 surgery will be in dec.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #99
(female)

maggie2101 HB User

Thanks for the tips! My surgery is tomorrow so I am a bit nervous. I just ordered a shower chair, grabber, 2 toilet seat risers, and satin sheets. They should all be here by the time I get home from the hospital.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #100
(female)

Marrgaa HB User

I am facing a L3L4L5 fusion surgery in the next few months, and all these tips are GREAT.
I have one I'd like to add that my mother recommended from her discectomy: tall stools strategically placed in the major rooms of the house, so you have somewhere to sit and rest when you need to without having to go all the way down.
I am so scared. Going to try to lose some weight before then and working on my core-strenthening exercises in the meantime. I have a sit-down job.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:29 AM   #101
(female)

SaraS HB User

One thing I haven't seen in these suggestions is a BACK BRUSH for when you're showering, it's great for getting your legs and feet as well getting your back. When I had my last back surgery (3rd one in 7 months) I was told no bending, except for getting dressed. My first two surgeries was to remove a cyst caused by arthritis between L4 & L5. A month after my second surgery I started having pain again in my legs and hips. So this time my micro-neurosurgeon fused the L3 & L4 and L4 & L5 together. My spinal cord is being narrowed by my arthritis, hence the 3rd surgery.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #102
(female)

ncyankee HB User

I've been reading about everyones ALIF surgeries and it is really helping to make up my mind about having my own. I've been suffering with back issues for the last few years and have tried therapy, aquatic therapy, epidurals and nothing has really helped. I have such pressure in my lower back when I'm standing for long periods of time, that even when I sit down, it takes a good while for it to cease some. I've used heating pads also which helps and use my friend "Vicodin" only when needed. I am going to a lumbar surgery seminar this coming Tuesday and hope to get more answers. My husband planned a cruise for my 60th birthday which is to take place in August and my children along with the grandchildren are all going on this cruise. I don't want to miss this so I put off my surgery plans until September but I'm scared out of my witts. Any advice from anyone will and would be so appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-10-2010, 04:14 AM   #103
(female)

mce HB User

if you need back surgery, i would have it...I had no choice as my nerves were being crushed and i was in complete agony, childbirth was a breeze compared to the pain..
was does your doctor say ? also i would talk to a few people that have had surgery and check how they are going, because there are good and bad surgeons...dont be scared !!, im so happy with how i am now, compared to how i was before..good luck and have a wonderful cruise with your family

Old 05-10-2010, 07:37 AM   #104
(female)

SaraS HB User

I can only speak from my experience. I had 3 back surgeries within 7 months. My arthritis was causing cyst in my lumbard so I needed these surgeries. The pain was just the worst after the first surgery which indicated that and another cyst had developed. After the second surgery everything seemed just wonderful. I was off medication so much sooner. I was walking around the hospital before I was release more than the first time. I didn't need the nurses to wait on me hand and foot. I thought my surgeries were over. Then the pain started again and I got into see my neurosurgeon much sooner this time. I was NOT going to go through the extreme pain that I had after my first surgery. I'm still recovering from my third surgery which my doctor fused my 3rd, 4th and 5th lumbard to prevent anymore cyst from returning. Not so say that they won't return at the 1st and 2nd lumbard, prays it doesn't happen. I've heard of people having this surgery (cyst removal) done 5 or 6 times before their doctor does the fusion. Thank goodness I had a neurosurgeon that will on do that surgery twice! Everything I tried prior so the surgeries didn't work because the cyst was pressing against my spinal cord--therapy, vicodin, chiropractors, heating pads, tens units. Find you a good neurosurgeon. Good luck!

Old 05-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #105
(female)

ncyankee HB User

[QUOTE=Marrgaa;4225552]I am facing a L3L4L5 fusion surgery in the next few months, and all these tips are GREAT.
I have one I'd like to add that my mother recommended from her discectomy: tall stools strategically placed in the major rooms of the house, so you have somewhere to sit and rest when you need to without having to go all the way down.
I am so scared. Going to try to lose some weight before then and working on my core-strenthening exercises in the meantime. I have a sit-down job. [/QUOTE]

Closed Thread