It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #106
(female)

ncyankee HB User
Re: Post Surgery Tips

Thanks for the tip regarding the stools. That sounds logical. I, too, have a sit down job which I'm really thankful for at this time with back issues but I have also gained weight and would like to lose some of it before the surgery. I'm 60 and I sure hope I don't have a tough time recuperating.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #107
(female)

ncyankee HB User

Thanks MCE for the well wishes regarding our upcoming cruise. I am just hoping and praying I'll be able to keep up with everyone. I'm sure I won't with the grandkids though. I'll be taking a couple of books with me just in case. I heard my doc that I have is suppose to be really good but he surely has a horrible bedside manner. He is replacing 3 discs via the stomach area and then my body will be turned over and he'll put a place with screws and try to staighten up the spine some. My problem is scoliosis. My spine is in the shape of a double "S" but as it goes down low, it isn't really bad but yet bowed some which is pressing against nerves. It depends on the way I move that gives me pain but the pressure in the lower back and backs of my legs is vivid. Thanks for your reply.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #108
(male)

bear34 HB User

I had a microdisectomy at L4/L5 3 days ago and those items have proven to be helpful. My question is how much movement is to much to soon. I have a friend that had rhe same surgery and told me he was up and walking with limted pain in 3 days. My pain has gotten a little better each day but currently about 3 times a day for about 10 minutes is enough to have me popping the pain meds and back in bed. Should I be pushing myself for more??

Old 05-15-2010, 03:08 AM   #109
(female)

mce HB User

i had the same, only my nerves were badly damaged...this was last nov, and im still off work, everyone is different..remember yours was only 3 days ago..take it easy, for a while, then just try and push yourself more in about 6 weeks..also ask your doctor...I know its a pain in the butt, when some one else seems to be able to do what you want to do....but i guess, i know your a guy..its like childbirth, every one is different.....dont measure your progress against, some one else !!! as it can be depressing and you really need to mentally be ok....trust me it can suck...as i have seen others walk, when i needed a walking stick...just be cool and do it when your ready and ok...take care

Old 05-15-2010, 07:19 AM   #110
(female)

SaraS HB User

Don't be scared Marrgaa. I had the same fusion done on the 30th of March. If you trust your doctor and have researched him and everything about this surgery you'll be fine. My fusion was my third back surgery in 7 months. The first two were to remove cyst and the third is to stop the cyst from returning. I've been up and around since I've been released from the hospital. Driving after 2 weeks. I used a walker for the first week and during the second week I only used it to get out of bed and to get off the couch. I'm learning how to pick up things off the floor without bending over. I have to wear my brace for another 7 week, I live in Texas so it's gonna be a long 7 weeks. The brace is very hot when wearing it so I lay in bed as much as possible. It's about the time that I'm allowed not to wear my brace.
Bear34: I stayed well medicated for the first week then I slowly reduced the medication I was taking. Don't overdo it. You'll recover at your own speed with the help of your doctor.
Good luck y'all on your recoveries and future sugery.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #111
(female)

issymykitty HB User

thanks for the tips, i did loads of them before i had my surgery and am so sooo glad other people took the time to share. my grabbers ( one upstairs and one down) are my best friends and attaching the tv remote to the bed is another one ive found really helpful.

The Following User Says Thank You to issymykitty For This Useful Post:
Grammie76 (03-01-2012)
Old 05-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #112
(male)

slapshot173 HB User
Exclamation Re: Post Surgery Tips

Hi every one,

I am 8 months post surgery an am in a large amount of pain but I feel much better now after 8 months than post 8 days. Percocet 5 mg now. Was at 10 before. Walking 40- 45 minutes per day straight no breaks every walk, every day no matter what the weather conditions. First I needed a cane but now I walk an a lot of people give me compliments on my look of stabilit and strengh. L3-S1. Cost over 255,000. Plus medications. Walking, Water, Food, No Hard work an or bending or twisting. God is good.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slapshot173 For This Useful Post:
Grammie76 (03-01-2012), workinmom572 (08-05-2012)
Closed Thread