It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2004, 09:19 PM   #1

HueJazz HB User
Unhappy Hamstrings, Hips and Lower Back

IT's kinda really hard to explain this. Well I had lower back problems before and i went to a physiotherapist and got it fixed about a year ago. But now I got more problems which are totally different. It is not so much pain but a tingly discomfort in my lower back, hip, and hamstring area, mostly the hip and hamstring though. I stretch the areas out almost everyday but it still bothers me and doesn't go away. It makes me feel very weak aswell, like I don't feel like doing anything physical at all even though it's just isolated to my right leg and lower back.

I do take martial arts and kick a lot and I also play basketball. This also bothers me and keeps me from falling asleep sometimes. I don't know this is weird but sometimes to make it feel better I warm up my lower back or butt with my hand because they're like freezing cold.

I tried to explain as best I could but I don't fully understand it. Please, if someone could help me.
THanks

Old 08-18-2004, 09:00 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User
Re: Hamstrings, Hips and Lower Back

Do you have more pain in the lower back and/or buttocks, and more tingling in the hamstring area?

If you do, it sounds like sciatica. Sciatica can be caused by 2 culprits (that I know of) - a disc or a muscle. An MRI would ID if the disc is involved. If you get negative results, it's probably a muscle (usually the piriformis).

Mine is pinched by my piriformis, and I have 3 things I do to try and get short-term relief (outside of visiting a massage therapist) -

1) I lie on my back and stretch my problem leg (knee straight) across my body. I usually use a robe sash to get more pull.

2) I tuck my problem leg under my body lying face-down. My knee is bent and is about to my collarbone.

3) I lie flat on my back and tuck 1 tennis ball (yes, tennis ball) under each buttock (usually right in the middle). I usually have to adjust until I feel the ache, which is a sign you found the muscle!

Hope this helps...good luck.
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread