It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2004, 07:58 AM   #1
(female)

ThinBones HB User
Question Any alternative to Advil???

I have been taking Advil every four hours, 2-3. My question is, is there anything else anyone has found for success with for pain. I have to take it as soon as I wake up as that is my worst time. If I eat breakfast, it is gone fast as it upsets my system. My stomach and intestines are now suffering and so is my appetite. I cannot tolerate flexeril, darvocet or valium, well I should say I can tolerate them but my head just floats all day and I cannot function. Has anyone found anything that works better and does not have the G.I. upset??? Starting P.T. this week. Thanks............. Thinbones

Old 08-18-2004, 08:42 AM   #2
(female)

Love2cook HB User
Re: Any alternative to Advil???

Thin bones,

Sorry I can't help you. I had a fusion and with a fusion, my dr said no advil or ibuprofen for about 2-3 months. I can only take Vicodin and ES Tylenol for pain.

I noticed with the muscle relaxer Flexeril, that is made me sleepy and dizzy for the first couple of doses but that went away. How long did you try it for? I was fine after a couple of days, taking it 3 times a day and functioning fine. Same with Darvocet. Made me a bit tired, but not after subsequent doses. Didn't help the pain though.

You may try ES Tylenol. It makes me a tiny bit sleepy but no big deal.

Good luck to you,
Elaine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2004, 10:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

You might was to see if you can try Ultramn, it is deemed non narcotic but that class is subject to change soon. At any rate you shouldn't have the side effects you are getting from other various medications. Most doctors are fairly OK with prescribing it. If you ask the doctor and he gives you a prescription what you can do is have the pharmacy only fill a half a dozen or so pills that way if it does upset your stomache you don't end up with a bunch of pills you can't use.

Old 08-18-2004, 10:33 AM   #4

DAVE9999 HB User

you probably know this already, but Aleve seems to work pretty well, especially if you take 2

Old 08-18-2004, 12:22 PM   #5
(female)

Love2cook HB User

I agree with Dave, Aleve does work great. Two is not the prescribed amount on the bottle but my dr said it was fine to take 2 as the initial dose then one every....uh, 12 hours, I think. Helps a lot.

Good luck-
Elaine

Closed Thread