It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2004, 04:51 PM   #1

jettsmom HB User
Smile Heelsgal, Taz, Jo, Onthemendnow..how's everyone doing lately?

Just wanted to say hi to everyone and give a update. Hmmm..let's see, I'm 9 weeks post L5 fusion today. My days are still ups and downs, mainly with my leg pain, I'll have a couple of days were I could walk miles and other days I'm swearing under my breathe every 5 minutes cause it hurts to walk . I'm trying to stay positive..especially when the bad days hit me but if you asked people around me they would tell you I'm doing great for being 2 months out (sometimes it's hard to see the big picture when your healing) because I could'nt do ANYTHING before the fusion. My back feels fine 95% of the time though. I did call my docs office a few weeks ago and they said depending on how severe my nerve was compressed and for how long can make a big difference on how long it can take for that nerve, which made me feel better because that means my ticked off nerves could still have a lot of healing in them yet, I will go over all of this on Wednesday with my surgeon and get more x-rays done-keeping fingers crossed eveything looks good. Hope your all doing well and would love to get an update on everyones progress.

Old 08-19-2004, 04:53 PM   #2

jettsmom HB User
Re: Heelsgal, Taz, Jo, Onthemendnow..how's everyone doing lately?

Carl -if your out there did'nt mean to forget you! Hoping I did'nt leave anyone else out either!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2004, 05:24 PM   #3

LJ909 HB User

[FONT=Garamond]undefined[/FONT][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Hope you continue to heal. My heart goes out to you. I wanted to mention something to all of you w/low back/butt/leg problems that have the docs stumped. I had suffered, too for months (actually on and off a couple years). I have several issues (this is true) but I wanted to know what was causing the excruiating pain that hurt getting in and out of bed, pulling a sheet up, etc. I finally found a neursurgeon in Dallas who looked at the MRI and knew right away I had a SYNOVIAL CYST on the L-5. Last week, I hadn't planned the day of surgery yet, I went in thru ER and the next day he operated on the cyst. I should be able to go back to work next week maybe half days and then by the 4th week, full time. I have had no pain since the surgery!!! It's rare and usually happens if you are over 65 (I'm 56). So keep that in mind and question your doctor if it could be a SYNOVIAL CYST. [/COLOR]

Last edited by LJ909; 08-19-2004 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Of course I have aches and pains from surgery, but none of that exruiating pain down my leg.

Old 08-20-2004, 05:07 AM   #4
(female)

onthemendnow HB User

Oooh, long time no hear! Nice to see you here again.

I'm almost 6 months post-op now; wow, that went fast in retrospect. I'm a very happy and grateful camper these days. I feel great.

For me, the sciatica never recurred after surgery. I had only a few days of leg nerve pain. What gave me trouble was the harvest region where they took bone (hip). That started up around week #8, got worse and kept up for 2 months. A few weeks ago I started stringing together one good day after another and I realized it's been like that for about almost a month!

I also was doing "fine" according to outsiders, but since I'm the one who knows how I really felt, I'd say it took me 5 months to really feel good. I got immediate relief from the sciatica (my problem pre-surgery) but it took that long for post-surgery issues to resolve.

You said you're so much more functional than before surgery, and that's fabulous news. Hang in there -- it can be a good outcome!

Old 08-23-2004, 03:19 PM   #5

TAZMZN HB User

Hello support friends,

I am 2 month (L5-S1 Fusion) post opp and feeling great. I will be going in to see my doc in a few days to get another set of x-rays and a check up. I should be starting my PT soon along with returning to work. I am very thankful for all your support as you all have made it easier for me to go through with this surgery.

I am very happy so far with the outcome! I would do it again if I was in the same amount of pain!!!

I wish I could write more but I have been busy watching my son and getting ready for a new little one to arrive in a few months.

One question? How long did you wait to start lifting approx. 30-40 pounds, as this is what my son weighs. I have only been lifting him in and out of the crib and putting him in and out of the car seat.

Thanks again,

TAZ

Old 08-23-2004, 03:29 PM   #6

Jenna'sMom HB User

Taz,
Sorry to but into this thread. That sounds like alot of weight for 2 months post op. You should really ask your dr if it's okay. The fusion takes about 3 months to happen more or less.

Julie

APLIF T4-S1 on july 19, 2004
Harrington rod T5 - T12 1982

Old 08-23-2004, 04:14 PM   #7
(female)

onthemendnow HB User

Taz! Nice to hear that you're doing well!

I think I remember getting the doctor's ok to lift 25 - 30 lbs (a typical grocery bag or laundry basket, he said) around the 3 month mark. Probably better to err on the side of caution for awhile longer if you're able to. Good luck with PT too.

Old 08-24-2004, 02:21 PM   #8

jettsmom HB User

Taz- we are pretty much in the same boat, I'm a little over 2 months and I was told no picking up my son (11 months old) for 3 months. Basically until that fusion as a good start. That has been so hard on me, having a little one and not being able to lift him, but I have my husband who took off the summer so that there would be no concern about lifting. I get my x-rays tomorrow and just hoping for great news, and maybe the ok to start driving too . Well, I let ya know how it goes. You be careful now!

Closed Thread