It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2004, 05:18 PM   #1

xtoyota HB User
back surgery at t5

my husband is about to have back surgery at t5. this is a very massive surgery . would like to hear from anyone with the same . would like to hear the results of this. and did they go through the chest to fix it.

Old 08-21-2004, 06:30 PM   #2

colleen b HB User
Re: back surgery at t5

I have a herniation at T10 and 11 and they are considering the same for me. My doc says that they go in the safest way possible. I am sure you have done your homework with your doc. Are there any other options for him? Radiofrequency? Blocks? PT, anything? He has probably tried them all. Keep me posted for I am in the same boat. I am having my myelogram on Monday and then I will know after that. Good luck!

COlleen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2004, 08:10 PM   #3

xtoyota HB User

COLLeen
i have a collasped vertabrae at t11 but the surgery is going to be at t5 . its a calcified ruptured disc. what im reading on the net is that its going tobe like a open heart surgery cutting the front rib cage in half and spreading them apart. that is if uba calls. but the doc if the dont bother with me he will find someone to do the surgury. im a wee bit scared. i think my wife is more scared than me. i haven't found no one that has been though this. if the are i wished they would leave a reply. hope everything goes well for you

mike

Old 08-22-2004, 05:36 AM   #4

colleen b HB User

Hi Mike! Hear are the people that have our problem also. This is a message that I left them!

Hi Lcmiller, Graciegirl,Oliver-dove,shiz,and bounce!

We all belong to the thoracic spine herniation club! I am now a new member!

I would like to compare my symptoms to you all. I have a T10-11 herniation. MY upper and mid back is in spasm at all times. My symptoms are now in my neck,although they began in my hips and buttocks.I also felt like there was a knife in my back at the t10 level. I wake up every morning in total spasm. It is hard to get out of bed.

I do not know what to do.

Did you all have similiar symptoms? I need a plan and now I have finally found a neurosurgeon at the U of MD who is willing to try. I think a mylogram is my next step. THank God! All of the Pain mgmt docs just want to medicate me forever and ever! So sick of it!

ANy info would be greatly appreciated!

Colleen

Hi Mike!
Fly Girl also has a similiar problem, but she is in the same boat as you and I, not sure as to what to do. I wish that we would be able to contact the above names and communicate with them. They would be our guide through this process. You can go back and look at their posts and maybe the info will help you. The good thing is that if they are not on the boards anymore chances are that they are feeling good.

I have a doc at the U of Maryland, Baltimore who I love and will be doing my surgery if it comes to that. My myelogram is monday and that will tell all. Have you had your myelogram yet? Were you in an accident that caused this problem? They do not know what caused mine. I am very scared about the myelogram tomorrow. Hopefully it will not be that bad.

My neurosurgeon in Baltimore has done the thoracic surgery many times and is a wonderful guy. I really like him.

Do you live near Baltimore?

Colleen

Last edited by colleen b; 08-22-2004 at 05:40 AM. Reason: To edit name

Old 08-29-2004, 03:03 PM   #5

xtoyota HB User

colleen b
sorry about taking so long to get back in touch with you. i live in alabama, i might have a ortho to do surgery on me. i went to see him friday. he wants a mylagram/cat scan on me in sept . my wife and mother-inlaw believes he might, but i wont believe until those words come out of his mouth. my pain is all over my spine in wy legs and i also have those stabbing pains in my back that fills like its coming out of my chest. the ortho got his reflex hammer out and right leg does not have anyreflexs but the left foot had a little movement but the left knee didnt move. are you the one that had a mylagram last week? and if so how did it go. thanks for the reply please reply and we will talk about the symptons.
mike

Old 09-17-2004, 09:47 PM   #6

MAMA4NANI7 HB User
Unhappy Re: back surgery at t5

There May Be A Better Way For You. Mimimaly Invasive Surgery. Go To The Jho Institute Website And Take A Look At The Procedure Dr. Jho Uses. I Am Currently In Touch With Dr. Jho And His Procedure Sure Looks Hopeful For Me.I Have Herniations In T9 And T10. Am On Heavy Meds. For Pain And Spasms. Most Days Of The Week I Have To Spend Laying Down. He Tells Me He Is Surprised I Am Still Mobile. I Have No Bladder Control Or Bowel Control Anymore And My Left Leg Is Numb Most Of The Time Down To My Foot. Most Days I Am In So Much Pain I Just Want To Die. No Way To Live, Right!! But Dr. Jho Feels Sure He Can Help Me Regain My Health With This Procedure. He Is In Pittsburgh, Pa.
So You See, I Really Know How You Feel.

Last edited by MAMA4NANI7; 09-17-2004 at 09:52 PM.

Old 09-18-2004, 07:13 AM   #7
(male)

Monty44 HB User

Hi all. I had what was considered emergency cervical surgery (c5-8) in Oct.03. I spent three days in the Hospital (Georgetown) and twelve weeks recovering at home.

In April 04, I had the transthoracic anterior discectomy at t5-t6. I spent six days in the hospital (again Georgetown). This is major surgery, like having open heart, and is considered risky. There are only about twenty surgeons in the country qualified to do this operation. The insision is at least eight inchs along the side of my back. A rib must be cut in half and removed, the ribcage is spread apart, and the lung must be moved aside. The surgeon does his thing and then puts everything back.

I am still in considerable pain. Partly from the surgery and partly from two new herniations, one above and one below the fusion. Just recently started seeing a pain management doctor trying to avoid a third surgery.

I suggest you find the absolute best surgeon available for this operation (someone who had done it before) and I wish you the best of luck.

Old 09-18-2004, 10:21 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Kayley HB User

[SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][B]Hello! Can I join the thoracic club too? I have been dealing with a herniation at t-6 and t-7 for over three years. I have had epidurals, trigger points, spinal stimulator and other things I can't remember and all these procedures have only made the pain worse. When all this started, my pain was all in my chest wall, mainly on the right side, but sometimes on the left also. After all the surgeries and shots, now I also have pain in my upper back. I have consulted with an excellent neurosurgeon in Phoenix, AZ. He is supposed to be one of the best and he specializes in thoracic problems. His name is Curtis Dickman and he has a website if you want to do a search. I have decided against surgery because Dr. Dickman told me that although it is possible, but cannot be guaranteed, that he could fix my herniation and the wrap-around chest pain, he did not believe he could help me with my back pain. To me, it's just not worth going through only to be left in pain afterwards.

I am curious if any of you have the same symptoms as I do with the wrap around pain. I also get really awful muscle spasms if I overdo things and I'm severly limited in my activities. I will never give up hope, but right now surgery is not in my future. This is such a rare problem and it's so nice to meet others with the same problem.
Kayley[/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

Old 09-18-2004, 01:00 PM   #9
(male)

Monty44 HB User

I only started having the wrap around pain on my left side after the surgery. I'm still having spasms and nothing seems to help. The neurosurgeon says my work is causing the problems and that I should change careers. Easier said than done.

Closed Thread