It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2004, 02:39 PM   #1

bt97 HB User
Continued back pain after surgery

I had a microdiscectomy of the L5-S1 on July 12. On Monday it will be 6 weeks post surgery. For the first two weeks things were going very well - no leg pain and hardly any back pain at all. Then I must have moved the wrong way or something and all of the sudden in my third week I had alot of back pain - it hurt to sneeze, cough, bend, etc. I didn't have any leg pain but my back felt as bad as it did before the surgery. Since then I've been icing my back and taking it easy. I'll go on an occasional walk but nothing major. I've been in touch with my doctor and he doesn't seem concerned. Before surgery I also had back spasms on my left side. They subsided immediately after surgery but now they're back. I'm scheduled to start PT this week and I go back to my doctor September 1. Are the muscle spasms common? Should they have gone away and stayed away after surgery or is it possible that I did something to the disc in my third week to bring back the back pain and spasms?

Old 08-22-2004, 04:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User
Re: Continued back pain after surgery

if you check through the pages on spinal disorder board and back pain board

continual pain after surgery is not Uncommon it can take several months before all the weirdness of surgery fits into place

then about month 3 or 4 things seem alot more settled

alot of folks try to early to stop taking their prescribed meds thinking they can "make it just fine" and end up not making it and need the meds

though some are most certainly better after surgery others of us take much longer to heal

take it slow be kind to yourself and remember you are still in the early stages

pay close attention to the drive/ pound weight lifting ,
bending can also cause spams

see what your doc says about pain meds/ muscle relaxers/

and lots of luck on your continual recovery
im post op month three healing slowly good and bad moments but much better good moments at this point

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread