It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2004, 03:05 AM   #1
(male)

rachelmc HB User
outcomes of epidurals wanted please......

hi everyone, i had my myleogram and epidural done last week. The myleogram showed no pinched nerves so its a case of deal with it and hope the epidural works.......... Ah NA it didnt i have had a shocker of a headache scince i got out of hospital and the backpain has been worse (didnt think that was possible). What id really like to hear is other peoples experiences and what they have done if this form of treatment hasnt worked as i will never front up for another epidural again and am not sure which way to go now.
So if anyone has any ideas please let me know. thanks
On the bright side its great to be home with my kids and enjoying them even if one is covered head to toe with chicken pox...
Cheers rachelmc

Old 08-23-2004, 03:59 AM   #2

xtoyota HB User
Re: outcomes of epidurals wanted please......

rachelmc
if you are still having headaches you need to contact the pain clinic and tell them. the first two sets of shots helped me. the first seemed that it didn't help but i went for the second shot i felt a little better and the third shot helped a lots felt great and returned to work. the next time i went the first shot seemed to work so i didnt go back for the next two sets of shots. it lasted for 5 months. then i went back to pain clinic and had two more shots that didn't work. so now my family doctor order another set of mri and xrays. he refered me to a surgeon. that wouldnt touch me. i have a ruptured disc between t5 and t6 its calcified and know im awaiting the surgeon to refer me to another surgeon. and thats my story. i hope u get to feeling better
take care
xtoyota

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2004, 05:03 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

Hi!!
I only had one shot, and it hurt me so badly that I refused to go back for another one! If you are continuning to have headaches, please contact your Dr. as soon as possible! Especially if they go away once you lay down! Good Luck and keep us posted!
~M~

Old 08-23-2004, 05:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

My outcome wasn't good and I'll never do it again. I had pain for two days in which I couldn't walk at all or barely. Crawling was more likely the option. I can tell you that my back pain has doubled since then. Not sure if its from the shot or not, most believe that it is. All I know is I"m miserable and wish I could go back in time!

I agree, if you have a headache you need to call the doc or go to the ER for a patch. DIdn't they tell you that when you had it done? Sometimes bleeds will happen and those give you migraines that are not to be believed, the only way to fix them is doing another one called a patch

I hope you feel better soon

Old 08-23-2004, 07:53 AM   #5
(male)

wmcgowin HB User

I had three epidurals, and they helped tremendously. I only wish I could have more, but I am cautious about taking too many steroids.

If you ahre having headaches, you NEED to go back to the doctor. I might think about going to another DR. for an epidural. A good one should be able to do one with little or no pain.

Old 08-23-2004, 08:06 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

One of my problems with my Neuro wanting to send me for a Epidural Injection is that from what I have heard from more people then not, is that it is a temporary fix... which is true, and also it just deadens the pain, but in reality the problem that is causing the pain is still there, its not fixing the problem, it is just covering it up....and in the mean time, if it does get rid of the pain, the problem will be there to continue to get worse...and I have also been told it is VERY PAINFUL! and can cause damage.... So I am having a very huge delima as to wheather to go for the shot or not...

Thanks

April

Old 08-23-2004, 10:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

One should only have 3 in a year period of time. They do help for some, for others it doesn't, and for others it even causes damange. I think it's nearly a 50/50 chance on them.
Ironically the manufacturers of the medication used specifically say they are not intended for use in any part of the spine. There are good reports and some very serious or bad results from them.
I only advise that before one has them they think about it long before deciding and do some research.

Old 08-23-2004, 10:04 AM   #8

Stormy01 HB User

I have one Epidural a year for my leg pain due to a damaged nerve root. It sure works for me. Without it, I'd be immobile. Sure, they hurt for a few days afterwards, but I've never gotten a headache from one. You shouldn't be getting a headache from one. Call the doctor if that happens.

As for it being a temporoary fix, yes, it is. But with a damaged nerve, it may get the inflamation down long enough to allow the nerve to heal. Or not. I may need to continue with an epidural once a year for the rest of my life. Or be in a wheelchair. What option would you pick?

Old 08-23-2004, 11:05 AM   #9

travitch HB User

I have had two epidurals so far. The first one actually gave me some relief for about 5 days. I don't know if this was due to something else in the shot that the anesthesthiologist put in there or not. The second actually provided no relief. I saw my Orthopaedic Surgeon last Thursday and we started talking about surgery. I told him that I wanted to try the epidural one last time. I am not very fond of Orthopaedic Surgery as a result of a car accident that required 4 surgeries on my right arm. The epidural was my choice. I had read the Burton Report. The first shot didn't really hurt. The second hurt like hell. They had cut back on the local due to a side effect from the first shot. I am not looking forward to the last shot that I will be getting on Friday. However, I am hoping that it will save me from having to go through the surgery. This problem had first flared up over two years ago and after 4 months the sciatic pain went away. I was pain free for nearly two years after. I am hoping to yet again escape the knife.

Old 08-27-2004, 04:08 AM   #10
(male)

rachelmc HB User

hi everyone i called my doc and he perscribed stronger painkillers and said if it hadnt gone to go see him and he would admit me into hospital for some tests.......... it hasnt completly gone but it is down to a constant light ache which i can put up with at the moment i cant go into hospital as my kids all seem to be going through crisis of their own and need theor mum to be here for them.
Im not sure if this remaining ache is from the epidural or from feeling stressed from the results. i will see how it goes and if it doesnt go i will go in for day tests...
anyhow thanks for your replies.
take care everyone rachelmc

Closed Thread