It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2004, 10:04 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

regime HB User
what can i do to releive back pain?

I get mild back pain sometimes when I work too much and part of my endometriosis, but 2 nights ago, I got this severe back pain. Havent really been able to walk, sit or do anything. Is there anything I can do or take to help with it? I'm just taking advil right now. Had some xrays done, getting the results tonight. not sure what caused this, havent been lifting much, i exercised the morning it happened, but i exercise on a regular basis. And it was really easy light areobics. i'm only 23 yrs old and feel like a crippled 80 yr old. I hate being in pain :-(

Old 08-24-2004, 10:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: what can i do to releive back pain?

I know how you feel. I am 26 and have been battling my back issues for four years. I would suggest doing some streatching. could be you irritated the muscles in your back, on the less severe side of things. Lie on your back, straighten one leg out and pull the other to your chest. Hold for ten seconds. Then switch legs, do this fifteen times. Then, pull both knees to your chest and do the same. You can also get on your hands and knees, then sit back on your heels with your arms out in front and hold that. Do you know how to do gluteal streatching? Lie on your back, knees bent. Cross one knee over the other and pull both to your chest. You should feel a pull in your glutes. THese are what my physical therapist had me doing. I did this before my last surgery and after, so they are pretty common to do. Hopefully it is minor like a strain. But, if you get your xray back and nothing appears, and the pain does not subside, ask for an MRI. That is really the only thing that will show a disc issue or any other soft tissue damage. Many times, xrays are just standard procedure, and you will find a lot of physicians don't expect to see much on one where back pain is concerned. That is just my personal experience. Keep taking your Ibuprofen, I found that Aleve is very good. My dr had me taking two Aleves which she said was prescription dosage. Anyway, I hope you find relief soon, and don't be afraid to take control of your back and treatment where drs are concerned.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2004, 02:02 PM   #3

Stormy01 HB User

Actually, since you just did this to your back, I'd lay off the stretching for a week. I'd use bedrest for a few days with Ice and/or heat. Whatever gives you the most relief. (I use Ice.) Some very modest and gentle walking would be enough for now until you see a doctor. You don't want to make anything worse by overdoing it in the exercise department.

Old 08-24-2004, 10:16 PM   #4

Jenna'sMom HB User

I agree with Stormygale. hold off on stretching until this heals or you find out what happened. I would go see your doctor if it doesn't improve within a week with rest. I could be you just strained a muscle or something more serious, time will tell. If you have more questions, we're here. Take it easy and have patience.

Take care,
Julie

APLIF T4-S1 on july 19, 2004
Harrington rod T5 - T12 1982

Old 08-25-2004, 04:11 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

I would still do gently stretches, otherwise you will set up like cement.

Old 08-25-2004, 04:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

regime HB User

the back pain started late sunday night and its wed and it seems to be getting better now. I think it was just a muscle strain, hope I never get this again. I used to get them in hghschool like once a year but then they totally disappeared. Hope this was the last heh. I think I will start doing some of these exercises on a regular basis. I'm so afriad to do my daily workouts, i'm afriad im going to hurt my self again :-( I think I will just start walking now instead of aerobics urg, now i'll never get in shape :-(

for someone who has minor back pain frequently, due to over working, lifting, medical reasons, etc do you suggest going to a chiro or massage therapist? If so, how often? thanks again for all your help!

Old 08-25-2004, 06:34 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

osteopath for manipulations, massage therapist to rid the body of toxins

Closed Thread